Interesting places to see?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For now I'm limited to 3 or 4 days here & there and have to be somewhat close close to home, Indiana. I have an Indiana State Museum pass which gets us into several places around the state but it isn't enough to visit one area and fill up 3 or 4 days. So I google search free things to do in ****town, Indiana. Usually the pay for stuff comes up first. Then I spread my search to nearby towns or towns on the route. In my case my route is a loop. My loop usually includes a visit to a y and since we like to look at old stuff, we search flea markets and thrift stores. We don't have much room so we can't buy but it is fun to look. We also use the GPS to find parks or libraries to hang out at. On our last excursion, we found a library that also houses a glass museum. We didn't see it on a google search or in any tourist info.... it was on the fine print on our map. It wasn't out of our way and we loved it. We also found a museum that was on the history of the town. It was privately owned, housed in an old government building and funds itself by renting out one very fancy room and by renting out farmer market spaces. Yeah there was a bit of military history but plenty on the industry, waterways and geology of the place. We like to research as we go. We like to stop and watch water flow - so soothing unless it has poured down rain. some day we hope to see more than Indiana but we figure we are practicing for the real thing when we are free to go. We also don't try to fill up all our time. Last time we were out we found a free concert. Too bad we didn't haul chairs. Some times we just rest. We also found a small town festival. We loved the small town. The festival was like any other festival...

TrainChaserOkay!  

* In the West
* Can drive to (too old to do much hiking)
* Scenic
* Old ruins and petroglyphs and other interesting stuff.
* Historical that doesn't involve wars
* Cheap camping nearby or within reach

That should be enough for starters.

Going to the sun road in glacier national park. So scenic that your eyes will pop out of your head! :p

Scenic 12 Byway in Utah. For anyone that hasn't made that drive it has about all types of scenery on it's length. For me it started around Henriville, UT and pretty much to Torrey, UT just outside of Capitol Reef NP. A stop at Powell Point Vista is a must just to soak in what part of what the drive will be.
Parts of it is not real easy for the driver to sight see due to needing to pay close attention to the road. Like a lot of other mountain driving....

Scenic 12 Byway 12 in Utah?
Yikes part of that is the Hogsback, driving on a ridge with droop offs on BOTH sides!

TrainChaser said:
Okay!  

* In the West
* Can drive to (too old to do much hiking)
* Scenic
* Old ruins and petroglyphs and other interesting stuff.
* Historical that doesn't involve wars
* Cheap camping nearby or within reach
My fav spot is bannack Montana.  Ghost town. Bunch of buildings.

That should be enough for starters.

waldenbound said:
Scenic 12 Byway 12 in Utah?
Yikes part of that is the Hogsback, driving on a ridge with droop offs on BOTH sides!

Yes, but..but...they're scenic drop offs. :) No guard rails either.

Between Pine and Winslow, AZ, Hwy 87, Cragin Reservoir.
An oasis in the desert. Dispersed camping on the way in.
IMG_20170701_140150-640x480.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170701_140150-640x480.jpg
    IMG_20170701_140150-640x480.jpg
    105.4 KB
Going to the Sun road in Glacier NP

Highway 14 or 16, Wyoming going over the Bighorn Mtns. Sheridan has a museum and is close to some interesting Indian historical sites plus Medicine Wheel, and Buffalo also has a lot of history. Tons of NF to boondock on

Flaming Gorge Nat Rec area down the west side and then to Vernal. Some free or cheap camping.

Bear Tooth Highway from Red Lodge into Yellowstone...narrow, scary but gorgeous. Bookdocking available at the top before meeting with the Chief Joseph Hwy out of Cody.

Buffalo Bill Museum in Cody is MASSIVE and has so much to see. Cody also has a rodeo every night in the summer. Again, lots of free or cheap camping.

1.(so far) the drive between Butte, MT and W. Yellowstone entrance (I was the only person on the road the entire way and Stunned by that; it was in May); I could stop in the middle of the road and take pics for hours if I wanted.

2.(so far) the drive between Grand Junction, CO thru Gateway and on to Naturita, CO (great burger place in Naturita)

236 through Big Basin Redwoods State Park just outside of Santa Cruz, CA on a crisp, sunny fall day.
About 30 miles twisting through redwoods so close to the road you can touch them on brand new, fresh pave. The scent and freshness of the fauna, exhilarating. Midweek, no traffic. Up the 9, down the 35, Skyline Dr. for a great day trip through the country, south of San Fran.
Spend the next day in Santa Cruz watching the surfer dudes ride the waves in Steamboat Alley, from a cliff right in town. On the street boondocking allowed cause it's a chill town, man.