Insurance for Cutaway/Box/Ambulance/Van conversion

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RambleLance

Reaction score
I'm a 5/7ths Van Dweller. I live in my ex-Ambulance during the work week because I cannot afford to move my family to a decent neighborhood near my work. So 5 outta 7 days I live in the RambleLance.
I have just been told by Progressive insurance that they cannot insure my vehicle because it was sold as an "Incomplete Vehicle" to the ambulance conversion company. That said, I know that all Class C's are also sold in the same manner to the RV conversion companies and they are all insured. Has anyone else run into this?

I can get the inspection and have it registered as an RV, but that completely hoses my ability to stealth camp near my work. The current license plates come back as a commercial vehicle. A cop will be able to spot the RV plate without even looking it up (due to number/letter combinations). So that comes with its own price.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks
RambleLance

Neat screen name....

Yeah, Progressive is particular about conversions and such.......they told me that if they had known ahead of time that I was gonna put a cot in the back of my cargo van, they would not have insured it. 

I asked the lady what is the difference between that, and someone who puts an air mattress in the back of a pickup with a topper?

They had no good answer.....(idiots).

Call State Farm, they seem to have more leeway in insuring conversions, from what I was told.

yeah that's a bummer. my truck was originally sold as an incomplete vehicle. it was sold as a cab and chassis, no bed. I have never had a problem insuring it in two different states. I have Farmers insurance. highdesertranger

Don't mention any kind of camping use, nor dwelling, stick to commercial, or if you want "personal use" it's for carrying stuff.

Don't see how an ambulance could ever be "stealthy", by the time cops are reading your plates that part's over anyway.

Up here old Ambulances are often used by couriers, and mechanics so it’d pretty stealthy as there’s lots of them in industrial areas.

John61CT said:
Don't mention any kind of camping use, nor dwelling, stick to commercial, or if you want "personal use" it's for carrying stuff.

^This.....

Tell the insurance folks you bought it because it's reliable and build well.

Title it as the Vin # says, a commercial vehicle and you want it insured for personal use. ( I initially went with full coverage but later changed to Liability and Under-insured/Uninsured was included in that liability policy).
State Farm and Farmers in my neighborhood.