Insurance and converting a title to RV

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user6479

Reaction score
My vehicle is registered in Michigan for context

I have a box truck and was planning on converting the title to an RV title and getting RV insurance, once the conversion is pretty much done. Finding a place to insure the box truck in the meantime was already a hassle.

My question is if I convert it to an RV title and get RV insurance, is it possible in Michigan to get RV insurance that is effective for the whole year without telling the insurance company that you live in it full time? Cause it seems like telling them the RV is your primary residence is a no-no.

I'm in Michigan & bought a great low mile ambulance & had no problem. Does the title saw box truck? I doubt it as the mfg sold a cab & chassis which may end up a box truck, flatbed, roll back, etc. Mine said cutaway but I was honest with them & all they ask is if it had a place to sleep, bathroom & cook. Maybe because I was right before closing but they gave me a title for a motorhome & I just got insurance on a M-H. Years ago I always went to Airadventure in Oshkosh & wanted to buy a school bus & the insurance was almost $2k as they said they were the most dangerous vehicles on road because of roll overs so I passed. Good Luck & let me know how it works out.

My vehicle is registered in Michigan for context

I have a box truck and was planning on converting the title to an RV title and getting RV insurance, once the conversion is pretty much done. Finding a place to insure the box truck in the meantime was already a hassle.

My question is if I convert it to an RV title and get RV insurance, is it possible in Michigan to get RV insurance that is effective for the whole year without telling the insurance company that you live in it full time? Cause it seems like telling them the RV is your primary residence is a no-no.
Up until recently I lived in my MH full time and insured through Progressive. My insurance cost me $225 per year and I lived in Michigan, Fife Lake. I will admit I never told them I was full time and they assumed I would use it in the summer months, but I did the LTVA in Arizona and traveled year round.

Trying to source insurance coverage on commercially related vehicles and DIY conversions will be problematic. But it’s not impossible. A liability policy is all you really need.

Source coverage for what the vehicle currently is, not for what you intend to turn it into. Once the conversion is completed and DOT has done their inspection and a new title is issued then source a RV policy.