inflateable Kayak ????

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used one before. Honestly they really are nice. Spend the money and buy a decent one.
Could you buy it from a good outdoor store and return it if you don't like it?
I personally think you need to just try one yourself because we are all different in our requirements and if you are wrong in your ability or your choice you could drown.
Maybe try one at an outdoor store where you can be sure of safety?

Sent from my Alcatel_5044R using Tapatalk

I think I would give up jousting or flame throwing from one but they are really durable and easily repairable.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044R using Tapatalk

there is a world of difference in inflatables between cheap ones and expensive ones. cheap ones I wouldn't even trust in a swimming pool an expensive can handle class 5 rapids. my buddy has an inflatable kayak, for him and his wife he loves it but they just putt around. I have an inflatable boat I have bounced it off everything you can imagine. rocks, trees, branches, other boats. you name it I have hit it. the better inflatables have multiple air chambers any one of the are able to float the boat and it's payload. so unless you take a knife and puncture every air chamber you will not sink them. any unreinforced vinyl is junk don't waste your money. high quality ones are reinforced fabric with one of many coatings. the coatings and fabrics all have there pluses and minus's. do your homework. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
I have an inflatable boat I have bounced it off everything you can imagine.  rocks,  trees,  branches,  other boats.  you name it I have hit it. highdesertranger
Must be why youre a desert guy  :D

JesseTrue said:
I have one and love it.  Not the best, but sturdy, portable, and good for 1 or 2  people.

Intex Explorer K2 Kayak, 2-Person Inflatable Kayak Set with Aluminum Oars and High Output Air Pump https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A7EXF4C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_lzkOzbF85Z2FW

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
thank you for the input AND the link :).....How big is the " folded " package ? .....How much does it weigh ( 66 year old grandpa ) ?

30lbs in a 2.5' x 1.5' x 1.5' bag (waterproof and fairly sturdy with a bit of extra room for maybe one PFD).

I use it on lakes and lightly flowing rivers (no rapids).

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

that kayak in the Amazon link appears to be unreinforced vinyl. what I would consider a kids pool toy. like I said for any inflatable to be considered more than a toy it must have a fabric base. no fabric base no go. highdesertranger

I have two of the Intex ones as well. They are a lot of fun at the lake but I wouldn't be taking them into a river any time soon. I like to take them on trips where I know I'll be by water but once I go full time I'm afraid they will be left behind. The only thing I don't like it drying them out before I pack them back up again. Other then that they are fun to have in the van.

I love my Advanced Elements inflatable. It's way above pool toy status. They are good to carry on a van, but the killer is the PFD , paddle, bilge pump, etc. they take up space.

I have an Intex inflatable that I got from Academy. It comes with a break down paddle and an inflation device that all pack down into the carrying case. A couple of reasons I bought it were the packability and the price. I have a Ford van camper and hang it in the shower to dry before packing. I didn't want to spend big money on a kayak until I knew it was a hobby I would stick with for the long term. If I continue, I will sell it and buy a better quality molded one. It has been on lakes and rivers(slow flowing but big rivers) with no problem. Remember to take the inflation device with you as it may loose some air over a couple hours. Wear your PFD! That's true in any kayak.

I had a fancy for the Sevylor K5 Quikpak some time ago. Anyone have experience with these? The main allure was the size but then I don't do enough on water for any kayak to be a real necessity.

I have an Alpacka raft that I bought because it was only 5 lbs and I could pack it between lakes on interior/backcountry trips.

Sadly it's only been in the water 3 times and I've never managed to get away to trip with it.

Big enough for 1 person and lots of gear.

If you're interested in it, PM me.

highdesertranger said:
 the better inflatables have multiple air chambers any one of the are able to float the boat and it's payload.  so unless you take a knife and puncture every air chamber you will not sink them.  

So we've gotten to the point where we can mass produce portable plastic Titanics? Cool!! On second thought we'd better stay away from titanic comparisons lol

We've had our Innova for 16 years and it's still going strong...have carried it camping and even brought it to the south pacific! Really well made. I think we paid around $800 for it way back then, so not cheap...

I can't remember where I saw it now, but I read about a lady who was wanting to get rid of her inflatable and get a molded kayak because she couldn't get into the inflatable without getting wet. She said that is great when it's really hot outside but that she wanted the option of staying dry. Just something to throw into the mix.