Blink cameras for camper use?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malamute

Reaction score
A search didnt turn up any recent info on security cameras and their use in campers. Does anyone have relatively up to date info on decent security cameras and pros and cons of them for camp use? The Blink looks like it has some potential, but needs cloud to work I believe, and internet. Im interested in both recording, but more for live interaction with the doorbell and cameras. it could be useful for keeping tabs on the dog left while in shopping or keeping an eye on a vehicle while out walking, so long as you were able to stay connected, I just dont know how practical that aspect is.

So, what works, and what doesnt? In town in wifi/internet or cell range, or out of cell range in the hills?

Even as someone who HATES anything that depends on the cloud to be functional...

Problem you'll find with no cloud devices is that if someone steals the camera after the fact, or the recording box, or the entire RV...you're boned as they just took the video evidence with them as well. In my home, I have multiple cameras that overlap areas, so even if someone disables one camera, theres 2 or 3 more covering that area that will pick them up (I work in industrial security as part of my career). Good luck finding where I store the video locally, and any analytic positive hits will immediately trigger an off site recorder as well.

Going to be a bit harder to pull that hiding off in an RV, as there's only so many places to hide something like that, but still provide it enough air flow to not overheat and shut down on any moderately warm day.