Kayaks

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carla618

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with inflatable kayaks? Not the expensive ones. The budget Intex ones. One is half price at Amazon ($100 now) and I'm curious if it would be a waste of money to buy a cheap one. I don't know if I will even like kayaking, so I don't want to spend a lot.

Here is the sale one: https://a.co/d/iK1n7da

Description:

Intex 68307EP Explorer K2 Inflatable Kayak Set: Includes Deluxe 86in Aluminum Oars and High-Output Pump – SuperStrong PVC – Adjustable Seats with Backrest – 2-Person – 400lb Weight Capacity

One of the seasonal employees won one this season but didn’t have room to take it home with them and gave it to me. I inflated it and it looked like it would be less desirable than a hard sided plastic kayak. I gave it to a couple with a small car that didn’t want to use roof racks. It was easy to handle once inflated but a little awkward to carry while still in the bag. The supplied pump worked fairly well and totally inflated it in a few minutes pumping. The couple of times they took it out they liked it and actually paddled about 4 miles one trip in about twice the time it takes in my 14’ sit on top hard sided kayak. Usually these are best on small ponds or slow moving streams in my limited opinion really you would probably be better off renting a kayak or doing an extended stay, buying one then selling it when you are ready to leave. If you get to Bullfrog Utah (Lake Powell) give me a PM, I can probably get you a kayak to use, I have a few as I plastic weld repairs to ones that have been discarded as a hobby.

Thanks Bullfrog. I follow a couple youtubers who use inflatable kayaks (one has a small car). That's what inspired me. I figured they would be slower than a hard-sided one. I definitely don't want a hard sided one, but can't decide on this inflatable one. I like that it is half price, but then I'll need life jackets. Thx again.

I recall them being pretty slow in the water. And the other options are either not collapsible, or pricey (Folbot).
I've got an extra Tucktec kayak I've been meaning to sell. I'd let you have it for $100. It's a lot faster than an inflatable and rolls up into a fairly small space. Only problem would be getting it to you. I'm currently somewhat nailed down on the Oregon coast. This link shows what it looks like.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f3/36/16/f3361606097f3ebd143af638173c14cf.png

That is a good deal for someone in Oregon. Even with shipping costs bet that is less than 1/2 the new price.

I've got an extra Tucktec kayak I've been meaning to sell. I'd let you have it for $100. It's a lot faster than an inflatable and rolls up into a fairly small space. Only problem would be getting it to you. I'm currently somewhat nailed down on the Oregon coast. This link shows what it looks like.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f3/36/16/f3361606097f3ebd143af638173c14cf.png
My original plan was to travel to Washington state first, but now my son is talking about moving back to Illinois. I'll let you know. Thank you!

It's all fun and games until you tip over in freezing cold water.....

I see you are preparing for the inevitable....

How many life jackets do you think you'll need?
I was thinking I would need at least three for when I camp with my kids. One for me. One additional adult one and one additional child size one. Not camping in anyplace cold.

If you are kayaking in the northern USA where the water is cold you should get a kayak where you can keep the water out of the body of the kayak. The kind with a small opening you slide into and can fasten a skirt around your waist. Otherwise you should wear a wet suit. Hypothermia happens pretty quickly even in summer months in the cold waters of Puget Sound in Washington state or in lakes and streams in northern states in the USA. The open top kayaks are fine for the Southern areas in warmer weather. So be careful what you buy, a bargain is fine ….if it is the right choice for where you are and for the waters you are going into. If you want a fast kayak then it needs to be longer and narrow and have a keel with a rudder and that style will not be an inflatable or a foldable kayak.

If you have never kayaked before go rent one several times before you invest in one. A lot of areas where there are lakes have kayak rentals where they bring it to the launch location and then pick it back up. You might also consider taking lessons where they teach you what to do if you get rolled over so that you can flip the boat and get back into it. That is a critical skill if you are kayaking in cold waters.

My workshop space on Puget Sound in Seattle was next to a small beach. Sea Kayaker Magazine was there too, right on the other side of the wall of my workshop. They launched the boats from the beach when they were sent boats for testing to get reviews on the magazine. Of course the magazine staff also kept their personal watercraft there as well and would take them out after work for recreational paddles. I had other friends who designed and built Kayaks of various types. So lots of conversations about the merits of styles of kayaks suitable for different types of adventures.

Last edited:
If you are kayaking in the northern USA where the water is cold you should get a kayak where you can keep the water out of the body of the kayak. The kind with a small opening you slide into and can fasten a skirt around your waist. Otherwise you should wear a wet suit. Hypothermia happens pretty quickly even in summer months in the cold waters of Puget Sound in Washington state or in lakes and streams in northern states in the USA. The open top kayaks are fine for the Southern areas in warmer weather. So be careful what you buy, a bargain is fine ….if it is the right choice for where you are and for the waters you are going into. If you want a fast kayak then it needs to be longer and narrow and have a keel with a rudder and that style will not be an inflatable or a foldable kayak.

If you have never kayaked before go rent one several times before you invest in one. A lot of areas where there are lakes have kayak rentals where they bring it to the launch location and then pick it back up. You might also consider taking lessons where they teach you what to do if you get rolled over so that you can flip the boat and get back into it. That is a critical skill if you are kayaking in cold waters.

My workshop space on Puget Sound in Seattle was next to a small beach. Sea Kayaker Magazine was there too and launched the boats from the beach when they were sent boats for testing to get reviews on the magazine. Of course the magazine staff also kept their personal watercraft there as well and would take them out after work for recreational paddles. I had other friends who designed and built Kayaks of various types. So lots of conversations about the merits of styles of kayaks suitable for different types of adventures.
All true. I have a fishing - sit on top, a white water, and the afore mentioned roll-up Tucktek. All have served different functions and I'll need to settle on just one before I pull out again. Besides the issues maki2 mentioned, I'd include your physical shape and condition in your considerations. How easy is it for YOU to get in and out of a kayak? The larger sit on top is easier for larger or less limber folks, for example. My daughter has a couple Packayak kayaks that break down and nest like a Russian egg. Might be good for a Nomad with more limited space and if you have no physical limitations. Fast in the water, but Pricy. 1701446815007.png

As Maki mentioned, the water temperature is the factor. My kayaking instructor pointed us to statistics showing that many hypothermia deaths occur when it's 40 degrees. In part, that's because people aren't prepared to be cold (wet, exposed) at those temps.

With a skirted cockpit, the roll is key, and so is practicing a wet exit. When you're upside down, it is counter-intuitive. You can't surface until your legs are free.

If you just like the idea of paddling on flat water, some state parks even have self-serve kiosks for rentals, including life jackets. That is much less intimidating, hassle free, and loads of fun!

If you are kayaking in the northern USA where the water is cold you should get a kayak where you can keep the water out of the body of the kayak. The kind with a small opening you slide into and can fasten a skirt around your waist. Otherwise you should wear a wet suit. Hypothermia happens pretty quickly even in summer months in the cold waters of Puget Sound in Washington state or in lakes and streams in northern states in the USA. <snip>

Thanks for the advice. I'm not going anyplace cold. Nothing strenuous. Just want to putz around on a quiet lake. Or just float in the sun:)

Strenuous exercise triggers my heart problems and if I am far from a hospital that would create more stress. So I just want to paddle the shoreline (leisurely). When I was young I loved the cold northern lakes. Now they are nice to look at, lol.

The lakes north of me stay cold until late July. I prefer the warmer lakes in southern Illinois.

I'll probably just throw it in the back of my truck for when the grandchildren visit.

You might also consider taking lessons where they teach you what to do if you get rolled over so that you can flip the boat and get back into it.

Some of the highly-stable recreational kayaks can't be righted when you're in them, i.e. they're equally stable inverted. It can also be a little hard to get the water out of them when righting from outside because they're enclosed on top. But it's almost impossible to roll them on level water, so on lakes I usually don't bother with a wetsuit. (The exceptions are when there's a lot of wind/waves or the temperature drops into the 40s or lower.) Even without the skirt attached they can get hot in summer.

Last edited:
Much like with bicycles in my life as I start to look at recumbent 3 and 4 wheelers I started making catamarans out of kayaks. Larger lakes with lots of wake board boats and cabin cruisers make enjoyable kayaking difficult. Using a frame/rack I am able to ratchet strap together a catamaran for open water then take it apart for canyon exploration and camp. Attaching four legs to the frame makes a structure a tarp can be put over once on shore. There are lots of solutions to make time on the water safe and enjoyable, you just have to look!

. The budget Intex ones.
We've had this one for many years. It's always such a pain in the you-know-what to inflate, deflate, dry, fold, and fit back into the bag, that we typically leave it home. It's very hard to get any speed in the water with my wife and I paddling. Cheaper than hard-sided, definitely. To do it again, I should have searched harder for a deal on a hard-sided kayak.