Kayaks

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone have any direct experience with the folding kayaks? They seem like they would go through the water better than inflatables but take up less space than rigid body...

We've had this one for many years. It's always such a pain in the you-know-what to inflate, deflate, dry, fold, and fit back into the bag, that we typically leave it home. It's very hard to get any speed in the water with my wife and I paddling. Cheaper than hard-sided, definitely. To do it again, I should have searched harder for a deal on a hard-sided kayak.
I just don't want to deal with a hard-sided one. If I buy a small parcel of land near water, then I'll look into a real kayak. But I just want one for the grandchildren to putz around in when they visit me in my travels.

I can relate to the no speed thing. The campground I spent my summers at (growing up) had paddleboats. I learned quickly to say no to anyone who wanted to do the paddleboats.

We've had this one for many years. It's always such a pain in the you-know-what to inflate, deflate, dry, fold, and fit back into the bag, that we typically leave it home. It's very hard to get any speed in the water with my wife and I paddling. Cheaper than hard-sided, definitely. To do it again, I should have searched harder for a deal on a hard-sided kayak.
My inflatable kayak phase came and went quickly, for many of the reasons you listed. I then tried a roll-up Tucktec that made transport easier but was sort of unstable (in my mind) and that I need to sell one of these days. Then I bought a small cheap strictly flatwater kayak that worked but was somewhat difficult to get in and out with a knee problem I had for a time. So, I bought a big fishing kayak that was stable and didn't have any of the access problems but is a bear when moving time comes. Still, I managed it as long as I had a pickup and on top of a standard height van. Now I'm building out a high-top and thinking about getting the fishing kayak moved with that gives me woylies. Gunna sell that soon. Obviously, I'm willing to try new things to stay on the water.

So... Has anyone tried a folding paddleboard? If so, what do you think?

So... Has anyone tried a folding paddleboard? If so, what do you think?

I was going to say that an inflatable SUP might be your best bet. No I haven't tried one but they seem to be popular, and the simple shape might be easier to deal with than a kayak. Not too good for winter though...