Hello..

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 38090

Reaction score
New to the group but not in living in small spaces. Have lived in minivans, boats (sail and power) and RVs. Being in my 60s am looking to hit the road again. Not sure what to get to travel/live in yet, everything has it's pros and cons. Think this time will be something that will blend in, doesn't have to have everything inside moved around to sleep and most of all good on fuel. Like to say thank you to everyone here for all the information.

New to the group but not in living in small spaces. Have lived in minivans, boats (sail and power) and RVs. Being in my 60s am looking to hit the road again. Not sure what to get to travel/live in yet, everything has it's pros and cons. Think this time will be something that will blend in, doesn't have to have everything inside moved around to sleep and most of all good on fuel. Like to say thank you to everyone here for all the information.
Welcome Chad:)

Where and the time of year will have a lot to do with vehicle choice now that vehicles like the Prius has made automatic climate control possible. If you are traveling by yourself and only require a seat for driving a sleeping platform is pretty easy to make after removing the extra seats depending on your body profile. Good fuel mileage is often dependent on weight and full time living tends to be heavy if you must carry power, heat, AC and cooling sources and supplies. Welcome, you can find information by searching and posting you specific questions but the quality of the answers will depend on how much you let us know about you and your specific needs!

Welcome to the Van Living Forum Chadnn :)

Most folks in their 60's are looking for a high top vehicle that they can stand up in if you are thinking about a van. A plain white one tends to blend in anywhere and reflects a lot of heat.

Since it will be your home, an engine known for it's longevity/dependability may be a bit more of an important consideration than high gas mileage. Just saying this should you have an engine failure requiring down time in the shop....where would you live ?

A lot of new folks are thinking of cruising numerous miles a day (like they did in their working life when their free time was so limited) but some of the more seasoned retiree's abide the 2-2-2 travel system. This allows for traveling less, saving more, seeing/experiencing more each day, and enjoying your life & leisure while on the road.

Post #7 in this thread explains it:

2-2-2 Travel System

Thanks everyone. I don't need standing headroom but also don't want 2 ft between my bed and the roof, 3 ft would be okay. I want the vehicle to look as normal as possible inside and out so don't want to take out the passenger seat or have solar panels. Won't be doing any major off roading but something with awd would be nice.

Thanks everyone. I don't need standing headroom but also don't want 2 ft between my bed and the roof, 3 ft would be okay. I want the vehicle to look as normal as possible inside and out so don't want to take out the passenger seat or have solar panels. Won't be doing any major off roading but something with awd would be nice.
Realistically no vehicle will look normal inside if you are living in it. You will have clothes, bedding, things related to food and food preparations, hygiene, etc. Having window coverings up in all the windows at night for personal privacy is also not normal for someone to see when looking at the exterior of a vehicle.

Last edited:

Latest posts