inflateable Kayak ????

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it really depends what you plan to do with it. Down here in Florida I do a lot of Kayak fishing in a regular molded kayak, and some of the places i go get shallow fast and are covered in razor sharp oysters. I would not trust an inflatable in most of the places I go. I do have a friend who has an inflatable kayak and loves it, but apparently if it is windy, it is a little hard to keep it tracking straight when paddling.

I've got an alpacka raft, the mule. I thought I wanted to experience whitewater rafting so I took a safety course and went off on a alpacka get-together. That was great fun. Then the time came I went off on my own, this past Christmas matter of fact after California's torrential rains. Whitewater in the winter. Decided to do some nice easy class 3 runs but as it turned out, my campground was just a mile further up than the put-in, so that's where I put in. Turns out I went through some class 4 whitewater. Got bucked out and experienced whitewater minus the raft. So after that lil' trip I added thigh straps and a back brace to give me more control...

But mostly I use it for fishing alpine lakes. Got a little fishing platform for the bow and it rocks!

Packs up easy peasy.

I do NOT recommend the more expensive inflatable kayaks unless they have been proven to stand the test of time.  I had a Sea Eagle that developed dry rot and had to be tossed.  Reading other user forums, I discovered I wasn't the only person who experienced this.

After losing an expensive kayak that way, I went with the Intex Explorer K2.  Cheap, yes, but if they're going to rot out, no sense making a big financial investment.  I've been very pleased with it.  Calm water only, but that's all I want to paddle, so we're good.

I store my kayak on our van roof, I had to sew my own roof carrier) and the accessories such as paddles, seats, PDFs and pump in a storage area created under the chassis.

Moderator Note: Blog post links removed per rules.

Van Mama Wannabe said:
I can't remember where I saw it now, but I read about a lady who was wanting to get rid of her inflatable and get a molded kayak because she couldn't get into the inflatable without getting wet.

Interesting - I never had that problem...it must depend on what model you have and your relative skill/experience level?    I actually have molded sit-on-tops and I use those when I don't mind getting wet...the Innova is for dry kayaking!

This is the first forum I've encountered that disallows blog links.  I wonder how folks communicate the full range of their DIY solutions?

It does appear to allow photographs.  Here's a pic of the van roof carrier I designed to hold my inflatable kayak.  It is sewn out of tarp material.  The kayak is basically in the tarp tube that is inserted under the leading edge of the solar panels and strapped to the frame.  The straps are integrated into the carrier.  I just returned from a 6,000-mile round trip with this... no problems developed.  I carry a Telesteps 1400E telescoping ladder for roof access.  The ladder is strapped to the rear passenger seat.  

ZJuEcpF.jpg

we don't disallow links to blogs. only that you have ten contributing posts first, then you can post all the links you want. with a description of course. highdesertranger

UmpquaTim said:
There's always foldable kayaks....

https://www.orukayak.com/

-T

Yes.  One of the other forum users whose Sea Eagle kayak developed dry rot purchased one of those.  He responded to the situation by going high-end, and I responded by going low-end.  Those Orus are megabucks!  Up to $2,500.  I figured I'd wait to see how they held up over the long term before making that kind of investment.  Once bitten twice shy.