Would a pro-built conversion van make the most sense for me?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ganchanRV

Reaction score
I'm still a ways away from launching a vandwelling lifestyle, but I'm using these early days to get a handle on what kind of vehicle I want. I've been looking into the pros and cons of different vehicle types, and I'm leaning toward something like a professional Transit or Promaster conversion based on the following factors:

-I would be full-timing in the vehicle, but living by myself.
-I want some built-in amenities such as inverter, microwave, heater/AC etc. I don't want to DIY everything.
-I would probably combine BLM boondocking with extended stays at RV parks. Not worried about stealth.
-I need a vehicle that can double as a daily driver. I might make a couple of longer "snowbird" journeys per year, but most of the time I'd be driving in town (or to local towns) or staying put.
-I don't want to tow a trailer.

Based on all this, would the conversion be the sensible choice? Any input welcome.

As you apparently will have the funds to hire a professional van conversion service they will be consulting with you to build out exactly what suits your needs. So the best plan is to talk to one of those companies if you want to know if your needs and personal preferences can realistically happen within your budget on your timeline for a completion date. Sometimes those reputable companies have a long waiting list in addition there is also sometimes a waiting list from the van makers for them to obtain a van to build out for you. So now is the time to begin talking to those companies.

There is a section in this forum you can look at and see what other people have done on their own for those models of vans you are interested in. Photos work best for such things versus a text string.

As to what is best for you is a question to which you have given very few clues on which to base an answer. You said nothing about having any skills, tools, time or even a place to do the work of putting an interior into a van much less a budget to cover the cost. Getting good answers requires good input.

Last edited:
A lot depends on your height and build as well as how much stuff you will be transporting. Smaller vehicles are nice in town but when you or your stuff doesn’t fit it isn’t really a good solution. Lots of testing on your part is necessary.

Depending on where you're located, I would try to find as many opportunities to personally look at built out vans. Both diy and company built.

Only you will actually know what you like when you see it in person. What features make the most sense for you. Which ones are great ideas but wouldn't work in your situation.

The reason I say this is it's going to be built for you, and it's going to be built once. That is the advantage of diy, the ability to make changes on the fly. Or make wholesale changes if needed. So it's important to get it right the first time.

So as mentioned above your should start talking to companies now. See if you can check out finished builds or those in progress.

You might also consider going to something like rtr to get as much exposure to different ideas as possible. You'll also be able to get real info from those living the lifestyle you're planning on. Take full advantage of the long lead time you have.

Every DYI build is different, because people settle on different needs. Prebuilt will be guaranteed to leave you disappointed with something.

Start with, a van is tiny. Make sure that small amount of space will work for you. Maybe rent one for a while and see how it works for you..

-I would be full-timing in the vehicle, but living by myself.
-I want some built-in amenities such as inverter, microwave, heater/AC etc. I don't want to DIY everything.
-I would probably combine BLM boondocking with extended stays at RV parks. Not worried about stealth.
-I need a vehicle that can double as a daily driver. I might make a couple of longer "snowbird" journeys per year, but most of the time I'd be driving in town (or to local towns) or staying put.
-I don't want to tow a trailer.
Any custom build won’t be “custom” for long. You will change over time and your custom build that was “perfect” the first month will soon become a compromise.

I think you need to spend a lot of time visiting rv lots and check out as many Class B’s in person as possible to gather as much info as possible.

BLM boondocking; you may want 4 wheel drive or All Wheel Drive. This eliminates Promaster.

Extended RVpark stay: this generally means completely self-contained.

Idk what constitutes “daily driver”. If you’re doing park extended stay will be a pain in the ass to hook up & unhook daily. Maybe get a small scooter similar to ruckus or a heavy duty e-bike ?

Summary: I think some kind of class b is what will work best for you rather than a combo custom/diy. You may not realize it yet but I think that’s where you’re headed.

my completely uninformed biased opinion
intjohnny boi

I think you are heading the right direction.
a)
My sources tell me VanLifers are quitting the YouTube business after the realities of a congested market slam them into oblivion.
How many?
Could be a half-mil, could be a couple-three million... apparently, full-time filming festivals and bon-fires gets tiresome after the first hundred or so.
As you might imagine, their rigs are hitting the auto-auctions and used-car lots.
If I was me looking for a factory RecreateVehicle like you describe, that'd be my first stop.
b)
We delivered RecreateVehicles manufacturer-to-dealer and dealer-to-shows.
A year and a hundred thousand miles convinced us to build instead of buy.
For us, full-time live-aboard as you describe pretty much eliminated most factory RecreateVehicles because of [!!! keyword alert !!!]:
* staples into particle-board, and
* Holes! In! The! Roof!.
c)
You mention you prefer no DIY.
Me, too.
Accordingly, for our ExpeditionVehicle, we installed the absolute minimum primitive features -- and here is the kicker -- 'for our needs':
* instead of a galley, we carry a Coleman propane two-burner camp-stove, and use it on our patio
* instead of a toilet plus holding-tank plus plumbing plus pumps, we use a discarded laundry-detergent jug
* instead of an elaborate electric system, we use rechargeable flash-lights, and go to bed around sundown
* instead of an inside shower, we use a garden-sprayer on our patio
... etcetera.
Our method eliminates all those problems consistently pestering owners of factory RecreateVehicles.
Disclaimer:
* we arrived at our simplicity after a half-century of make-do camping in lesser rigs.
Our introduction with plenty of portraits plus our reasons for our decisions:
https://vanlivingforum.com/threads/expeditionvehicle-build.44908/#post-576110

Last edited:
... important to get it right the first time...
Based on our experience and the experiences of everybody we know:
* No rig is ever right the first time.
Every rig is constantly evolving:
* nifty-neato new stuff gets evaluated, then finds a cubby... or...
* gets offered at the give-away pile.
Clothing changes shapes and sizes.
Destinations are added, enjoyed, then viewed in the 'objects may be smaller than they appear'.
Health changes.
Chums retire out of your caravan.
And lastly, our access to borders changes at the petulant whim of somebody we will never meet.
Suggestion:
* avoid believing 'this rig is my forever rig'.
You grow and evolve, your vehicle needs change.
Finally, picturing your Ideal! Rig! can limit your adventures.
Buying (or building) prior to camping forces the adventure to fit the rig.
And lastly finally in conclusion...
Have fun.
Your rig is merely a way to develop some wisdom about you and your place in the Greater.

I think you are heading the right direction.
a)
My sources tell me VanLifers are quitting the YouTube business after the realities of a congested market slam them into oblivion.
How many?
Could be a half-mil, could be a couple-three million... apparently, full-time filming festivals and bon-fires gets tiresome after the first hundred or so.
As you might imagine, their rigs are hitting the auto-auctions and used-car lots.
If I was me looking for a factory RecreateVehicle like you describe, that'd be my first stop.
b)
We delivered RecreateVehicles manufacturer-to-dealer and dealer-to-shows.
A year and a hundred thousand miles convinced us to build instead of buy.
For us, full-time live-aboard as you describe pretty much eliminated most factory RecreateVehicles because of [!!! keyword alert !!!]:
* staples into particle-board, and
* Holes! In! The! Roof!.
c)
You mention you prefer no DIY.
Me, too.
Accordingly, for our ExpeditionVehicle, we installed the absolute minimum primitive features -- and here is the kicker -- 'for our needs':
* instead of a galley, we carry a Coleman propane two-burner camp-stove, and use it on our patio
* instead of a toilet plus holding-tank plus plumbing plus pumps, we use a discarded laundry-detergent jug
* instead of an elaborate electric system, we use rechargeable flash-lights, and go to bed around sundown
* instead of an inside shower, we use a garden-sprayer on our patio
... etcetera.
Our method eliminates all those problems consistently pestering owners of factory RecreateVehicles.
Disclaimer:
* we arrived at our simplicity after a half-century of make-do camping in lesser rigs.
Our introduction with plenty of portraits plus our reasons for our decisions:
https://vanlivingforum.com/threads/expeditionvehicle-build.44908/#post-576110
Once again, you and I are in complete agreement. I have been living in my van for over 7 years. I don't have a built-in anything, except for my bed. Likewise, I did add a jetboil so that I could do some minimal cooking, and make hot water, when the weather convinced me not to cook outdoors. My not having a lot of built-in whatevers, I can change the layout of my van to suit the season, locations, whatever. I do have a more elaborate potty, however, because I have a foam pipe insulation buffer between the bucket and my dierriere. Luxury! I do have one solar panel and a battery, which allows me a little laptop time in the evening for entertainment.

And lastly finally in conclusion...
Have fun.
Your rig is merely a way to develop some wisdom about you and your place in the Greater.
Absolutely! It isn't the vehicle that makes it fun! If you are cut out for this life, you could go out in a Ford Fiesta with some thrift store supplies and have a grand time. If you're not cut out for it, it won't matter how spiffy the vehicle is.

The vehicle can definitely make it easier - but it just isn't what makes it fun.

I looked into buying a class B but found they all had the same basic floor plan, each with a little twist. They might use different materials and different brands of equipment, but all basically the same......bed, closet, fridge, shower, toilet, table...ect. I would look at one and tell the dealer that I didn't what a shower or that kind of table and was told tuff luck. Also all were too expensive for my budget. I looked at buying a van and having it custom built but soon discovered that custom being another word for expensive...and often I could buy a class B cheaper. A custom build can cost any where from $5,000 to $15,000. So DIY was my path because I could add only what I wanted and not forced to have things I didn't want. I am on my second van. I made changes every couple of of months. I would do a build, like what I done, and take it on a trip. I found the set up was not working as I thought it would, and I would rebuild it when I got back. Like others have said above, which is very much like buying a house, you will like it when you see it......but soon find that some things need to be remolded.

For a simple, non-DIY van conversion, I find the Wayfarer kits for the RAM Promaster, smaller Promaster City, and the Ford Transit an attractive option. Looks to be well-built and on the less expensive side, relatively speaking. Would get basic needs met and give you lots of room for customization & additions. https://wayfarervans.com/

Yep, a conversion kit would be your choice. There are many of them with different layouts. Wayfarer is good. Another good kit is https://van2b.com/ but they don't have a full kit yet (as of Jan 2024).
Also, keep your eye on the places where people sell used vans. You may find something that will work for you and you'll save time + maybe some money. There can be always a good deal.

I used to see these magazines on news stands that featured "house plans". You know, the style book plans where you could order plans for the house on that page.

By now I would think there would be a thread where people post layouts of their rigs in a similar fashion. Sketch Up renderings etc with floor plans and elevations could be of use to those considering owning a rig.

Example:

images

1705507503098.jpeg