I need help please

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sate40

Reaction score
I’m in need of help, I do have about 4000$ to spend on an RV, but need help raising a little more. I want to be a nomad so bad I can taste it. I was not brought up to ask for help like this but have been looking for the pat 4 mounts but can’t find anything within my price range. I’m not sure where to turn anymore. 

Jeffery

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

What a lot of people do is take seasonal employment that comes with housing or simply live out of their current vehicle. If it is just yourself it is pretty easy. If you are unable then see the HOWA posts to apply for assistance. If you give more information we can give better suggestions! Welcome and ask about any concerns you may have.

Welcome. You will find many other members of this forum who are in the same financial situation. You will at leastmbe able to do some mutual hand holdibg and brain storming on how to improve your finances even if they have no funds to share with you.  

Many people start their journey in regular vehicles and add supplemental living space with various types of tents and shelters. Those annex structures can be a real benefit during hot weather as well as on rainy days.

But do not let not having the perfect vehicle stop you from getting on the road. Humans do have the ability to adapt and to think up creative solutions to problems. Practice tapping into that strenght we all posses and it will get stronger and even more creative as. you exercise it.

Sate40 said:
I’m in need of help, I do have about 4000$ to spend on an RV, but need help raising a little more. I want to be a nomad so bad I can taste it. I was not brought up to ask for help like this but have been looking for the pat 4 mounts but can’t find anything within my price range.

How's your credit?  $4000 is a pretty good down payment. You will also need a good size emergency fund to cover major repairs.  Credit cards can serve that purpose.

Are you a member of a credit union?  They are good alternatives to a bank for many people and sometimes have better rates and more lenient lending practices.

If I go to the web site RVTrader.com I found several RVs under the $4000 price range.  

BUT!!!

An RV can rapidly become a money pit. An inexpensive, older RV can become a huge money pit.  I had an older mother home and ended up having to pay over $10K a year in maintenance for the two years that I owned it. 

It might be better to go with what you currently have or get something that you can afford.  A lot of folks live out of an auto or SUV.  It doesn’t take a lot to make them comfortable enough to sleep in and the maintenance costs can be a whole lot cheaper. 

I would not try to borrow money to purchase a RV.  If you are having trouble raising money to your target goal, then you probably have cash flow problems.  And if you have cash flow problems, then the last thing you want to do is to increase your non-discretionary outflow by having to pay back loans.  Bad idea in my opinion.  

You may be able to find part-time work at Amazon as we are getting closer to the gift-giving season.  With the pandemic still going strong, most of the gift purchases are going to be online purchases and Amazon is still the largest online retailer.  But you’ll have to be nimble at this point as the Christmas purchase season is pretty much starting.  The sugar beet harvest season is over for this year.  Typically after the New Year there isn’t that much available for part-time work until the summer campground host season starts.

Keep saving and keep looking!  

I'd suggest looking at https://www.searchtempest.com , I was able to search a lot of different craigslist areas using that site. 
Keep looking at the market place on this forum and maybe the face book forum.... If the van in question is not close there maybe be someone in the area who can look at it for you  (things like unmentioned rust holes or major leaks, just to see if the seller is honest).  I have traveled a ways to look at a van that was misrepresented in the ad.
Cheap air fares at available if you need to travel but close to home is far better.. Don't send money until you have seen the vehicle and can take it with you. You give them cash, they give you the title and the keys...

Good luck with your search!

slow2day said:
How's your credit?  $4000 is a pretty good down payment. You will also need a good size emergency fund to cover major repairs.  Credit cards can serve that purpose.

Are you a member of a credit union?  They are good alternatives to a bank for many people and sometimes have better rates and more lenient lending practices.

Debt is not the best option, find something you like (it will be older) and make them an offer, they can say no. 
If I had $4k to spend I would not offer over $3k because you will need more money, but I would not be afraid to make an offer.

Welcome Jeffery

Get a van. Build it up yourself to fit your needs.
If you are young, make sure you can work on the road to provide for yourself and the vehicle.
If you are older, and have some steady income to live on, stay put until you have an emergency fund good enough to replace the vehicle if needed or pay for repairs.

^^^ THAT from Sofisintown is excellent advice. If you provide more information about your circumstances beyond having $4000 and wanting more, I'm sure the great members of this forum will be able to provide more specific suggestions. Good luck.

Latest posts