I have no idea

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c_hasbeen

Reaction score
Hi all, about two years ago things went pretty bad for my dad, I carried him to the pickup and took him into town to the doctor and then after a while he relocated to the nursing home. He had to sell his property to pay his way at the home so I was the winner of the bid process and purchased the home place where I grew up and everything on it, I told him he was always going to be able to go home, and when he got better we would fix the place up.
I always knew he was not going to make it back out to his place and towards the end he realized it too.
Dad was always the one to help anyone out, I remember when people would stop by because they were in a bad spot and had not eaten for a while. Dad would invite them in, mom would get the stove going and tummies were filled. “I will never turn away a hungry person” that was Dad’s motto, the little community we lived in was kind of a place to come and get a start again if you could find a spot to rent, nothing fancy but get your feet on the ground.
The property is in a tiny unincorporated town in south west Nebraska, which makes it rural property.
It is six full city blocks or about ten acres, the house is in desperate shape as well as the chicken house and the shop, but it does have 5 water wells on the property. A creek runs along the west side of one block, a fruit orchard, and there is a lake a few miles away, it is really a nice location.
Right now I want to bull doze everything but save and fix everything, I want to sell it and I want to keep it, I want to share it, I want to make it a nice and set it up for dry camping and maybe put in a dump station, or maybe do some full hookups, sometime I think how nice it would be to fix up the shop and then if folks traveling through and needed to do a little tinkering on their rig they could have a place to do it , then I want to just let the weeds grow.
I guess I feel I need to do something, my cousin said just hold it and wait until it comes to me.
There are people who would like to buy the place, the day after he died I had a lot calls telling me they were sorry to hear about dad, and what are you doing with the place? Pit me on the list cuz I wanna buy it.
There are a few nicer places in that little community as far as a double wide goes but none as nice as the home place I guess.

C-

Sorry to hear about your father's passing. Also sorry he was never able to return. That must have been very hard for him. How great that the land was able to stay in the family. People can be really uncouth, calling to say they're sorry but wanting to put their name on the list for wanting to buy his property.

What a wonderful legacy to make a spot for weary travelers in honor of your father and his generosity, although I can imagine it would be a lot of work. Sounds like a beautiful place. I've driven through Nebraska many times. Never had a reason to stop. Maybe if you decide what you're going to do, I will have a reason to stop in the future.

Everybody has their own way of dealing with grief. Some find meaningful work helps, others find time. I hope you are able to find something that will help you with your grief.

If you'd like to PM me and tell me about your father and the place where you grew up I'd be happy to read/'listen'.

Wishing you peace for your troubled mind and soul from afar.

GypsyChic

If everything else is in order then why even worry about making the choices now. Unless something is forcing a call, then let it be, think on it now and then and it will eventually work it's self out.

That might sound simple but I can't begin to tell ya how many times just backing away from something for a bit was the right thing to do for me.

TC
Mike R

I am so sorry for your loss.

Please, take time to grieve and mourn your Dad's passing before you make any decisions.

gypsychic said:
Maybe if you decide what you're going to do, I will have a reason to stop in the future.

C-what I meant to say was when you make a decision maybe I'll have a reason to stop but don't rush the decision making process.

As I said in another post in another thread recently, I believe times of crisis (be it personal, monetary, health or other) are not times to make decisions. Sometimes decisions need to be made during a crisis but they don't normally lead to great decisions. Unless there is more to the story it seems like you have the luxury of being able to wait a while.

Sometimes writing or talking about a loved one who has passed can be cathartic. My family always did this at funerals and growing up I learned a lot about elders in my family from those wakes. I also have a different view of funerals then most of my friends since I grew up with such lovely, though bittersweet, memories of wakes. That's why I suggested that I'd like to 'hear'/read about your father and the place where you grew up. I thought it might help you to relive some nice memories. If not with me, find someone who will listen to those memories. It can help.

GypsyChic

Sorry for your loss, as others said no point rushing a decision (unless you need to pay the taxes or somethin).
Tho you can offer a work for site deal to get the property up to snuff. People prolly wouldnt mind mowing down some weeds for a place to camp.

good advice from previous replies.

can't add much, just that I am glad to hear your pride in your Dad, that you want to honor his life.
take your time, grieve as you need, and see what presents itself in a few months.

You sound like your fathers son, I'm sure he is proud.

Sorry to hear of your loss..

I think the advice from your cousin is very good, he knows your family history, and the local culture on how these situations usually work out.

I have a friend from the general area around Enders, the Frenchman, & the stinking water

He has had a small property that he has hung onto from his grandfather for years (he is now over 70) only now is he fixing up the property.

I guess my point is there should be no hurry to just do something ..
I am sure when you decide .. you will find quite a bit of help from the
true friends you grew up with .. not the greedy ones

I can offer you some help in the area next summer as I will be helping my friend on his little project

Feel free to contact me

Gadget

Thank you all so much, there is no real hurry I guess, I really d o appreciate the kind words and the clear thinking.

This can wait till spring!

again thank you all so much

creek (Small).jpg
boundry 10 acre.jpgDSC_0037.JPG
c_hasbeen said:
Thank you all so much, there is no real hurry I guess, I really d o appreciate the kind words and the clear thinking.

This can wait till spring!

again thank you all so much

funny how something looks so different after a while of putting it out of your mind.
Here is a picture of an over head view of Dads old place.  I think I will get up there and get the windmill working so there is watter with out the need to pay for electricity.

Attachments

• DSC_0037.JPG
    DSC_0037.JPG
    803 KB · Views: 17
  • boundry 10 acre.jpg
    boundry 10 acre.jpg
    474.9 KB · Views: 18
  • creek (Small).jpg
    creek (Small).jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 19
those old windmill pumps are great, a fairly simple set up so not much can go wrong, other the wood parts rot away. C sorry for your loss, lovely place makes me want to park up under those trees by the creek and set up my awning, my hamac sit back, get lost in a good book play some horse shoes, sit around a fire, share tales, hang out, do a couple days of van servicing in the shed. Good luck with that if I was ever in the area I would be happy to contribute, looks like a great project. great site, I love your dad already even if I never met him, those windmill pumps always do it for me.

Looks like a beautiful piece of property. That's a great legacy your Dad left. I'm sure he'd be pleased Knowing you will enjoy it.

flying kurbmaster said:
those old windmill pumps are great,  a fairly simple set up so not much can go wrong, other the wood parts rot away. C sorry for your loss, lovely place makes me want to park up under those trees by the creek and set up my awning, my hamac sit back, get lost in a good book  play some horse shoes, sit around a fire, share tales, hang out, do a couple days of van servicing in the shed. Good luck with that if I was ever in the area I would be happy to contribute, looks like a great project. great site, I love your dad already even if I never met him, those windmill pumps always do it for me.

I have to agree with you about those old windmills, they somhow make me feel peacfull or something, windmill repair and water well drilling is what I grew up doing, that is the buisness that Dad was in for many decades, I still think I have windmill greas still under my finger nails!

Some of those trees by the creek are part of an orchard, last few years a late frost came while the trees were in bloom so maybe this year they willl have a lot more fruit.

used to be yellow apples and red apples, sour cherries, one pear tree but the raccoons always got them before they were ripe, goose berries too, but I do not know if they are still there, wild asparagus, & green onions used to grow by one of the fences also.