I Feel Awful

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
txmnjim said:
which is why i have decided a trailer, TrailerManNJ, is the best way to go. in a few years i will find a Casita or Scamp and that will be home.

IMO, trailers are the smartest buy for nomads. As Bob has said in many of his videos, they're cheap, can be customized however you'd like, and they'll last for many years with proper upkeep. I was very close to pulling the trigger on one last year, but after careful consideration I opted against it. I have paralysis on my right side, and walking is tough & risky without a cane/walker. But I can drive just fine, no issues. So...

For me to haul a trailer (even a small one), and have to worry about hooking & unhooking, putting down jacks or levels, tire chocks, etc., it would be too much to handle physically. I need something self-contained. Either a truck camper or a car. For now it's the car, but in 2 or 3 years I'm going for a truck camper.

I've heard nothing but good things about Scamp's & Casita's. Fiberglass, well-built...the works. I'm sure you'll be happy once you get one ;)

highdesertranger said:
Right now the price guides are pretty useless.  Used vehicle prices are way up.  Highdesertranger

You're right. Unfortunately, as is usually the case in my life, I have VERY bad luck when it comes to timing. This is probably the worst time in decades to buy a used car, but there's nothing I can do about it. I'm living by a schedule, so I just have to grin and bear it.

Unless you are dead-set on a Prius, why not look at other small cars, crossovers, SUVs, etc?

BTW if your house is worth a cool $300,000 may I assume your budget for a vehicle is a bit higher than the 5 grand range you seem to be in right now?

Not trying to be nosey about your budget...but...if you can get a better or larger vehicle, you won't be as cramped-up as you would be in a Prius.

And 195,000 miles seems....high. I know I know...Toyota this and Toyota that. Not me...I would keep right on looking for something else.

Or so it seems to me.

My house is the only thing I own, but I can't afford it anymore, just too tight. Instead of losing it however, I'm going to rent it out so the mortgage will still be paid. And I'll live in my Prius happy as clam like a king with all the money I save instead of going towards the house. 

As for savings, what's that? 90% of the U.S. population lives paycheck to paycheck. My small rainy day fund will go towards the car, with a bit left over for emergencies.

The reason why I've settled on a Prius is simple...I live in the Northeast. Hot & humid summers and cold winters. Having the ability to run the a/c or heat all night/day for the cost of a soda pop can't be beat. And unlike a traditional car, a Prius doesn't actually have to be running continuously to use the climate control. It simply turns on for about 30 seconds every 15 or 20 minutes to work its magic. This prevents overheating and a host of other issues a regular car might suffer.

I could certainly buy something bigger for the same price, like a van, trailer, etc. I was originally going to do that. But campgrounds around here don't accept anything but BORN CAMPERS (no modified vehicles whatsoever). That means I'll be stuck stealth camping a good portion of the time...with no a\c or heat. That's a dealbreaker.

I'm becoming a nomad for the adventure, and to live frugally. Not painfully.

TrailerManNJ said:
The reason why I've settled on a Prius is simple...I live in the Northeast. Hot & humid summers and cold winters. Having the ability to run the a/c or heat all night/day for the cost of a soda pop can't be beat. 

I know about the capabilities of the Prius, but once you have wheels under you, and living in a car going from parking lot to parking lot, why not head south in the winter and go north (or higher elevations) in the summer?

Seems to me that you won't actually be 'living' in the Northeast any more....just parking there.

At any rate, you may need to broaden your range of choices, both in vehicle, and the places you go.

And good luck.

I appreciate your wisdom, Tex...much appreciated. I know a lot of nomads (especially the ones out west) chase the weather throughout the year. That's something I too might have to consider as time goes by.

If I had my druthers, I'd much rather stay at campgrounds, as it provides the ability to tie my horse to their hitching post without having to worry about where to park, late night door knocks, etc. My plan is to buy a camping pass for $300 to Thousand Trails. While most of their campgrounds don't allow car camping, I found 1 or 2 who gave the green light...provided I set a tent up next to my vehicle. Once you buy the membership, you can camp unlimited for free, but it's 7 days in, and then 7 days out. That'll provide me with 2 weeks per month of NOT having to worry about where to lay my head at night. 

For the other 2 weeks, I can stealth camp for 7 days, and then maybe spend $150 at a non-Thousand Trails cheap campground for the final week.

So that's the plan. Will it work out? Who knows! Life has a funny way of getting in the way of things. But I'm still alive & kicking, which is the greatest gift of all.

I think you will find that your plans will leave you lonely and frustrated. Ping-ponging between a single campground or two and a semi-stealth existence every week seems to me like...not much fun at all.

Unless you have a need to be in that one area, like a job, or hobbies, or a club, your tight circle of friends, or family, or some other reason, you should seriously consider heading for other areas, experience new things, hang out with fellow campers, see new sights. Chase the horizon. 

Or just keep it as a possible option.

My 2¢:

Car prices right now are crazy.  Your best resource for determining the value of a used vehicle is a bank.  Talk to a banker pretending to take out a loan for the car.  They pay for the information they use to determine value: such as Black Book and DriverSide, both of which require a subscription.  I am not a fan of Kelly BB or NADA free stuff - it's worth what you pay for it.
Other sources to reference are: Automotive Lease Guide, Consumer Reports, and VMR Auto Guide.

Everyone I know who camps in a Prius lives outside.  They use the Prius to transport their stuff and sometimes to sleep in; everything else is done outside.  You will want a place to spend your free hours to cook and relax that is out of the weather and climate controlled (hot/humid and cold/windy is not enjoyable) and the Prius would be quite cramped to spend hours in.

Quite a few of those thousand trails campgrounds are really tight with nosy neighbors and restrictions. They will soon figure out that you are living in a car. Your neighbors might be a bit snooty about your choice and make things a bit hard for you. Then again, maybe not.

Don’t underestimate your comfort level. I’m pretty crippled up and can’t think of anything more miserable for me than trying to live in a car. You said it will be hard to hitch up a camper to move every couple of weeks. They make an electric jack for about $100 that you can put on the camper that makes it a breeze. Some people (me) never put the little jacks down under a camper either. If you want to there is an easy peasy drill attachment that makes that a breeze also.

That’s seems a lot easier than setting up a tent and taking it down every two weeks.

Used campers can still be had at very reasonable prices.

tx2sturgis said:
I think you will find that your plans will leave you lonely and frustrated. Ping-ponging between a single campground or two and a semi-stealth existence every week seems to me like...not much fun at all.

Unless you have a need to be in that one area, like a job, or hobbies, or a club, your tight circle of friends, or family, or some other reason, you should seriously consider heading for other areas, experience new things, hang out with fellow campers, see new sights. Chase the horizon. 

Or just keep it as a possible option.

Loneliness I can deal with, frustration, not so much. I recall Bob saying in one of his videos that most nomads tend to be loners by nature. Speaking for myself, that's very true. I like my ME time. However...

I'm a chatterbox once I warm up to someone, and enjoy the company of likeminded people. On that note, feel free to meet up with me anytime you're in the northeast, Tex. I'll have a case of cold ones waiting for you!

Spaceman Spiff said:
My 2¢:

Car prices right now are crazy.  Your best resource for determining the value of a used vehicle is a bank.  Talk to a banker pretending to take out a loan for the car.  They pay for the information they use to determine value: such as Black Book and DriverSide, both of which require a subscription.  I am not a fan of Kelly BB or NADA free stuff - it's worth what you pay for it.
Other sources to reference are: Automotive Lease Guide, Consumer Reports, and VMR Auto Guide.

Everyone I know who camps in a Prius lives outside.  They use the Prius to transport their stuff and sometimes to sleep in; everything else is done outside.  You will want a place to spend your free hours to cook and relax that is out of the weather and climate controlled (hot/humid and cold/windy is not enjoyable) and the Prius would be quite cramped to spend hours in.

You're correct, most dealers use the Black Book. Also Galves Auto Price List, and a few others, which as you said, do require subscriptions. While NADA, KBB and similar sites may not be 100% accurate as those...they're fairly close, which is good enough. Where the BB & Galves fall short however, is that I don't believe they offer private party used car values, like KBB & NADA. They specialize in wholesale/trade-in values, since that's the industry they target.

I do work (all phone-based), so I'll either need to be in the car on my phone/laptop during the day, or somewhere like a Starbucks. After quitting time, if I have the luxury of staying at campgrounds, I do indeed plan on setting up a chair to stargaze, read a book, whip up some food, take in the sights, etc. Living OUT of my car as much as possible is certainly the goal.

Buying and selling is not always a win/win match. You rolled the dice and did not win. All you did was prove to him that it was in very good condition other than some cosmetic issues. So supply and demand then gave him a position to ask above blue book value and realize he could wait around for a better offer and get more money. Your strategy failed, he is likely a poker player ?

Cammalu said:
Quite a few of those thousand trails campgrounds are really tight with nosy neighbors and restrictions. They will soon figure out that you are living in a car. Your neighbors might be a bit snooty about your choice and make things a bit hard for you. Then again, maybe not.

Don’t underestimate your comfort level. I’m pretty crippled up and can’t think of anything more miserable for me than trying to live in a car.  You said it will be hard to hitch up a camper to move every couple of weeks. They make an electric jack for about $100 that you can put on the camper that makes it a breeze. Some people (me) never put the little jacks down under a camper either. If you want to there is an easy peasy drill attachment that makes that a breeze also.

That’s seems a lot easier than setting up a tent and taking it down every two weeks.

Used campers can still be had at very reasonable prices.

You're right. Thousand Trails (and most other campgrounds) are mostly guided by profit. They pack people in like sardines. But the positives outweigh the negatives for my situation. There is NO BLM land, and very little dispersed camping options on the east coast...and I cannot travel farther than a few hundred miles at this time. That leaves only 2 options: stay at crowded campgrounds or stealth park every night. I would GLADLY choose the former.

Most campgrounds I called said emphatically that they do not allow car camping. However, a couple of them said it's permitted IF you set up a tent next to the vehicle. So that's my plan. However, I did think about the scenario you mentioned (nosy neighbor types) more than once, as it's certainly in the cards. But there's nothing I can do about that, as it's out of my control. I'll have to roll with the punches and see what happens.

I thank everyone for providing their experience, feedback and opinions in this thread (and others), it really does help a lot. As many of you have mentioned...

Living out of a car isn't going to be easy. But please know that I'm starting this journey both out of necessity AND choice. Nobody is holding a gun to my head, nor am I making any rash, sudden decisions. I've been researching for YEARS now. This website, Bob's YT channel and many other resources have been HUGE sources of help.  

As Bob himself has said many times, a large part of this lifestyle is about SACRIFICE. Want a bigger rig? It'll cost more money and mean higher gas costs. Want a smaller rig? You won't be able to stand up inside, and storage will be tight. Want to sleep for free in a tent? A storm can blow in and destroy your house. Want to stay at campgrounds for shore power? You'll pay through the nose and will be squished in with hordes of other campers. Ad infinitum. There is NO perfect solution.

Based on needs, budget and desires, a car makes the most sense for my particular situation. However, the goal isn't to live out of one forever. It's a brief stepping stone. After saving for 2 or 3 years, the ultimate plan is to buy a truck-top camper or Casita and purchase a full Thousand Trails membership, which would allow me to camp 365 nights per year, forever, anywhere across the U.S. On the other hand...

If for whatever reason I decide that this lifestyle isn't for me, or it's too demanding, I'll have more than enough saved to move back into a stick & brick.

The car is only the beginning of my journey/adventure...not the end.

I do have a plan in place. And I fully realize that plan may go awry at some point. Nature of life. As long as you have a plan B (and sometimes C & D), you can work your way out of most jams.

We're alive and free! And hopefully have our health. Everything else is secondary. Look at those poor people in Afghanistan. Imagine having to worry about death & destruction EVERY day. Or worrying about the survival of your kids. The world is FULL of troubles. Being a nomad isn't one of them.

You did low ball him but they wanted to much for it anyways.. watching Scotty on YouTube I learned that likely that replacement battery will go out again in a year or two so then ya gotta invest in a good OEM battery then ya got a good car!!! Calculate THAT cost and by then your Likely buying one brand new or a 2 year lease one..

I bought my Honda minivan from a Honda dealer it’s a 2006 an I bought it in 18 for either 5 or 6k it was a bit higher than 3rd party but I didn’t have to deal with shady people and I got the car fax and it turned out to be an amazing car!

Take into account where the car is if it’s in an urban center those milers will cause more wear on the car.. that’s one thing I wish I though more about but I got lucky.

I was ok with paying more but I got something of value that If need be I can go back to the dealership.

I don’t think I could ever buy a car from a random person to much risk in my opinion

Don’t worry so much about getting the “best deal” everyone will try selling everything for the most amount.. private sellers price high and it takes time for them to realize it’s to high and then slowly lower the price.. dealerships are more in touch with reality and you can cut off a few hundred from a dealership too..

I shaved off 400 bucks even though they JUST got the van on their lot, they didn’t even have time to clean it and post pictures I was that quick and STILL got some off the price. ?‍♂️

I’m happy with my decision and as long as it’s the car that meets your needs just pay more than anyone else and it’s yours I guess..

I think you low balled him, not that that matters, he was asking almost 6,000, you offered him a bit over 4000, that is almost 30% less, you low balled him, when he suggested sharpening your pencil a bit you told him his car and his assessment on it’s value were flawed, then came here to complain and got emotional about a car negotiation. He didn’t close the deal down, he was just starting the haggling process. The deal is always in play as long as the conversation is ongoing. He may not want to deal with you anymore but you could start up the conversation again by asking him what he hoped to get for it or what would be his bottom line. Get to know this person and give them the benefit of the doubt that they are a trustworthy individual trying to sell a car unless they give you reason to beleive otherwise not everyone is not out to get you, most people are straight up.
WTH

You do realize he made the offer 8 months ago. My wife just retired & we had 3 cars so she sold her Mitsi Outlander Sport to Carvana & it was great. They paid here almost double what she couldn't get last fall. No idiot lowballers, never even drove it. I've bought & sold all my life so now when someone wants to know what I want for something I ask them if they like to haggle or do they my best price & I'll be glad to deal either way. Works well every time.

next time offer full price but with terms in other words seller financing At some reasonable monthly payment for you with zero interest. It will initiate a back and forth negotiation on terms and trying to get to a bottom line cash price. terms set up an easy way to negotiate to an all cash deal

If a total stranger asks me to sell it on credit with no money down I'd show him the road in a hurry, no one is going to do that unless the car stays at the sellers till paid for.

You think you're disgusted .... about a year ago I found a Prius on my local Craigs List asking $1000 because the batteries were all no good. I investigated and learned that rebuilding a Prius battery set was within my skill-set and could be renewed for about $600 in parts. I decided not to pursue this and now I'm kicking myself.