1972 Chevy Ram

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davsey85

Reaction score
I was told this would be need to towed to a mechanic shop near me if I wanted to.do further inspection

The guy said he runs a ship and has about 30 cars and his mechanic next door was unable to find a rear end for this vehicle.

The owner said the only thing it needs is a 8 and 3 quarter rear end which can only be found at Junkyards and then it will run

Which is hard to find and runs 500-1000

Would it be worth it to purchase something like this for a trip down to baja California,Mexico?

If anyone here  can assist me in finding a vehicle i have to be out of my parents house in a week and looking for something to perhaps take from Sacremento across the Mexican border.About 2-3k is my budget 

1972 Dodge B-300 Van

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/sacramento-1972-dodge-300-van/7377051293.html

I know little about repairs but not much

Thank You

Is it old enough to be exempt from smog?

Why do you think you would be better at finding a rearend for it than the owner's mechanic?

First thing you need to do is research that or see what it would cost to have the present one rebuilt.

How much of a gambler are you and can you afford to lose $2,000-$3000?

Unless someone is an experienced shade-tree mechanic or unless they have plenty of money, they should stay away from projects like this.

I can guarantee it will need more than just the rearend if you plan on driving it for very long at all.

Keep looking.

A Chevy ram? Now that’s a real hybrid vehicle. :). If the professional mechanic can’t find a part needed to fix this there’s not much hope of you finding it. Just my opinion. The price range you’re looking at you want to be looking at minivans. Again just an opinion, I hope you find what you need.

nature lover said:
A Chevy ram? Now that’s a real hybrid vehicle. :)

In addition,Dodge didn't start using the Ram name until the '80s.

Needs this and that and THEN it will run.
For sale as is-where is.
I think you are cruising for trouble...

Odds are you will end up leaving it in Mexico. Now someone with mechanical skills can put all sorts of rear ends in that vehicle. It's a pretty cool van if you have the ability to do the swap but finding a rear end and then a mechanic would likely take a large chunk of your budget. To find a vintage rear end to take that far really would need all new bearings and seals.

Unless my budget was bigger and my skills up to it, I would skip that one.

Davsey85 said:
I was told this would be need to towed to a mechanic shop near me if I wanted to.do further inspection

The guy said he runs a ship and has about 30 cars and his mechanic next door was unable to find a rear end for this vehicle.

The owner said the only thing it needs is a 8 and 3 quarter rear end which can only be found at Junkyards and then it will run

Which is hard to find and runs 500-1000

Would it be worth it to purchase something like this for a trip down to baja California,Mexico?

If anyone here  can assist me in finding a vehicle i have to be out of my parents house in a week and looking for something to perhaps take from Sacremento across the Mexican border.About 2-3k is my budget 

1972 Dodge B-300 Van

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/sacramento-1972-dodge-300-van/7377051293.html

I know little about repairs but not much

Thank You

Sounds like a money pit to me. This one is for a guy that wants a project for the next six months, not for someone who needs something drivable in a week.

Thank you guys

One challenge im having is that the house here in California has been sold and we have to move out in 6 days

My parents are moving to Virginia with the option to drive cross country with my dad.If I go to the east coast it will be so far from the Mexican border and a struggle to test living out of 700/month of ssdi in a warm weather foreign country along the beach.

Im fortunate to have 19k savings and want to make sure I make resourceful decisions

I have some good savings but no physical home address to mail anything to or any friends that I know as insurance companies don't seem favorable to those on the road

What are some wise options in this situation?

Thank you

Mexican mechanics are resourceful — because they have to be. They're good at scrounging and reusing parts. But old Dodges are far less common and available in Mexico than Chevrolets and Fords. So if you're going to head into Mexico with a potentially troublesome vehicle, it would be wiser to do it in something more common.

Your situation sounded very bleak to me until you mentioned your savings. My experience has taught me that it would be best to spend half or less than half and keep the rest for an emergency. At your monthly income it’s gonna be hard to replace that emergency fund if you have to use it. I’m down to nothing and I have too many bills and my future on the road looks bleak. But having some cash in a stash so you don’t crash sure takes the stress off. :) :) :) I’m not a poet. You should be able to find something in half decent running condition for around 5K. Then maybe 2K in preventive maintenance and equipment. California is a tough place to look for vehicles they say. you might do better in the south eastern US. If you go to Virginia with pop start there then go south looking for a vehicle. If you can find a way to make a little bit of extra income because living on the 700 you’re talking about is not easy at all. I’ve never heard of go anybody going full-time for less than 800 a month and they had a great deal of help from the community. I don’t wanna rain on your parade and I don’t want to tell you what to do but you did ask for advice and that’s my opinion. I happen to be the worlds best expert on my own opinion. :) :) :)

Yes my parents are going to Virginia and want me to go there as they are moving from Sacremento..

Body desires,sunlight and clean air with cfs and some other

issues

I have never been to baja california,mexico .

But heard good things if any of you may have experience

Perhaps even abandoning a vehicle and attempting to live

On 700/month ssdi in a counter with a lower cost of living

Part of me is concerned about going north in a pandemic to

Virginia.Shorter summer days sounds depressing

Seems there may be political propaganda,though I respect

covid is real

Part of me wants to get away from it as perhaps there may

be more lockdowns coming in the us this winter though I

could be mistaken

True Slowday

Seems there are unknowns with Mexican health care system as there may be here in the US

Glad to see Biden pushing for more monoclonal antibodies

I had a chance to spend winter in Yuma and while it was better than living in a big city it didn't feel like there was enough heat and sunlight

Its unfortunate South Florida doesn't have blm land and discourage vehicle dwellers for people who want to live simply

If you want to eventually wind up in Mexico, I suggest looking up an ex-pat forum. Not familiar with them myself, so I can't offer any suggestions, but they do exist. I am pretty sure $700 goes farther down there than up here! But you need to be in an ex-pat-friendly town.

Since you have savings, there is no reason for you to buy the first crappy van that pops up (it took me 6 months fo find the right van) nor to do it in a week. I agree with those who say you should move with your parents now, and take some time to a) find the right vehicle and b) research ex-pat living in Mexico.

jacqueg said:
Since you have savings, there is no reason for you to buy the first crappy van that pops up (it took me 6 months fo find the right van) nor to do it in a week.

The best advice yet!

With my father transferring 2011 Honda crv title over to me weeks ago which im very grateful for and preferring that I spend a month in Virginia for the move in a couple days before going elsewhere.150k miles good condition

Is the crv something that may be liveable in and may it still be better to head out east first than to go across the border now ?

Thank You

If you could help your folks out with the move and getting situated in VA, that would be good.

Where will you be titling & tagging the CRV? If you haven't ever lived in VA, be forewarned that they are pretty strict on DMV requirements. Not as bad as CA but still pretty bad.

Since you plan to be a FT nomad, you may want to check out your options with SD,FL & TX. Each has pros and cons.

There is a sub-forum for cars/SUVs.:

https://vanlivingforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5