Hurricane Irma. Are you in its path?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I live out of my van full time in Florida, near Tampa Bay, so naturally this next storm has me a bit concerned. Curious if any other full timers are also in its direct path and what your plans are? Stay safe everyone.

Good time to take that van on a long trip north! I'm in SC and watching closely to see where it goes.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

I'm in Ft. Myers. Rode out Charley & Wilma. Bugging out for this one. Heading up to KOA campground in Condele, GA for a week. Have two IP cameras set up in the house to monitor remotely. I got a bad feeling about this one.

Wish I could leave, but I have family here to think of and help. I'm thinking if flooding gets bad enough I'll just post up on a parking garage near USF or something like a hospital. Then once the sun comes back out I can wait it out and take in the solar. Going to walmart in a bit for water and other supplies. Gonna be crazy here. I'll try to post back after it's all over. Wish me luck. lol

Did they decide where it would come ashore ?

I missed the weather report tonight.

A big advantage we dwellers on wheels have over stix n brix dwellers is real handy for things like this !

Irma La Douche is coming!

In 2004 we sat our Francis and Jean at ground zero Ft. Pierce.

Orlando preparing to launch..........

FIFTY years in Florida.......headed out AFTER Irma........one last time to hunker down........doug

If you're not leaving, do a final check on the pontoons.

I lived 27 years in coastal Florida, from Miami to Ft.Pierce. I was either living on a boat or on the water. I had it with boarding up, sand bags and evacuations. The last straw was Hurricane Andrew. I was working as a nurse in Labor & Delivery at Baptist Hospital in Kendall with my 9 month old in a back pack (if they wanted me to work during the storm, my kids came with me). It was incredibly miserable. The only good thing about it was that I made a lot of triple time for a few months, between that and another hospital in the area.

Central/Southern Arizona doesn't have god awful hurricanes, blizzards, ice storms, tornados earthquakes and not a lot of flooding.

You couldn't pay me to go back. My prayers to all of you still there.
Ted

Man, I'd a been thoroughly surprised if I hadn't looked at the storm path today. I was expecting it to go up the coast. According to CNN, looks like it's heading up the full leg of Florida then takes on Atlanta and makes a left turn before it gets to Nashville.

I wonder if they'll have the sense to close the onramps on the southbound side of the main freeways and let everyone move north on both sides?

i'll be stuck here in orlando, not really a van dweller but love the website, someday though just maybe even if only on weekends or something.
this one scares me too i'll be working all the way to sunday morning.

TrainChaser said:
I wonder if they'll have the sense to close the onramps on the southbound side of the main freeways and let everyone move north on both sides?

They didn't yesterday but it's probably coming. They did suspend all road tolls which was nice. The roads were PACKED, a normally 9 hour drive to Atlanta took me 17.

Left Tampa Bay late yesterday afternoon. Near Savannah, GA at IHOP for a pit stop. lol Please, anyone staying in Florida, stay safe. My family decided to stay and I think this is one storm not to screw with. Good luck to everyone down there. I'll be in NC hanging with a friend until about Tuesday.

Brad traveled to Tampa first then Sat. took my offer for a driveway spot in Orlando...........All is well.......doug & Brad

I watched a few news videos about Irma, and got to thinking...

Hurricane Harvey, Category 4. Hurricane Irma, Category 5. You know, when the hurricane season REALLY GETS STARTED (about Oct 3, they say), do you think it will get worse???

Or dump the categorical scale and move to a logarithmic scale, like for earthquakes.

Once Cat 4 is reached, further scaling seems useless. Completely unaffected, I feel a little helpless beyond acknowledging the distress some are going through.

There's a guy outside Orlando that has a nice little business building camping trailers, tiny homes and vardos (gypsy wagons). http://trekkertrailers.com/

It looked on one recent (5 days ago) video where he was headed for the Tiny House Summit in Tennesse. Perfect timing, as long as he takes his tools with him! I suspect that he's going to be busy when things finally calm down a bit. His rigs would certainly be a great way to be able to live on your property while you take care of the mess.

Latest posts