HQST vs Renogy vs WEIZE solar panels?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobOfYork

Reaction score
I have narrowed down my choice of 100 watt solar panels that fit my budget to these 3 brands.

HQST
Renogy
WEIZE

Looking at the 100w 12v Monocrystalline compact design panels.

Any recommendations on what brand to go with? My head is spinning. :)

Mine from Home Depot work great and were cheaper than often seen on A.
$80 for 100 watt glass. Grape Solar I believe.

I'm pretty sure HQST and Renogy are basically identical, maybe even made in the same factory. Wil Prowse did a YouTube video comparing them, and they didn't look or perform noticeably different. Renogy has a mostly good reputation for customer service, so that's something to consider if you might need support.

That said, I'm not sure why so many people go for 100 watt panels. 200 watt panels are not twice the size of 100 watt, so they are more efficient on roof space. I've got three 200 watt panels in a 7x5 foot space using 7 foot rails. You can get 200 watt "12 volt" panels brand new on ebay for around $180.

I have 4 glass Renogy 100 Watts +1 backup full 100 W solar kit in the box (just in case). I like the way they perform and most of my system is also Renogy except the inline fuse containers and J Box. One thing, I found the connector labeling on the panels a little confusing at first. However, I think that there are a lot of panels out there that will do just fine - I'd be more picky about the CC than anything - as well as the construction and durability of the junction box - the connectors are pretty flimsy on some I've looked at - I use a MidnightSolar box.

I'll probably go with 200 Watt flex panels next time to give me 800 watts (probably ~ 350 usable) to go with the Trojan's I'm planning on upgrading to. When I do, I'll post my old system here to give members first crack - It's in perfect shape.

Cheers!

I agree that the charge controller is very important. Best bang for the buck is probably Tracer/EPEVER MPPT. If I was going to buy one of those, I'd likely go through Santan because they've supported this community. Victron is also excellent. That's what I have. I mainly chose it because it's got bluetooth and USB (for monitoring and control, not just charging), so you can monitor it on a phone or control it with a computer (such as a Raspberry Pi).

Glass panels last a lot longer than flexible panels. Glass panels generally have a 20 year design life, where flexible panels are more like 5 to 10. If you aren't going to keep the system 20 years though, it may not matter.

barleyguy said:
That said, I'm not sure why so many people go for 100 watt panels. 200 watt panels are not twice the size of 100 watt, so they are more efficient on roof space. I've got three 200 watt panels in a 7x5 foot space using 7 foot rails. You can get 200 watt "12 volt" panels brand new on ebay for around $180.

My reasoning was to work around other things on the roof. Plus I want to wire panels in 2's. Have three sets of two. Each two wired in series and then the 3 groups wired parallel. This way if one or more solar panels are shaded some I don't lose as much efficiency.

At least that has been what I have been reading when researching. I was going to go with 200 watt panels but decided on 6 100 watt panels. Also if one gets damaged I can take it out of the loop until I replace it.

Jut the reasoning that is going on in my head. :)

JDub said:
I'd be more picky about the CC than anything

That's my next step after the panels are selected. I do plan on not skimping on the MPPT. I'm going to want a good one.

RobOfYork said:
I have narrowed down my choice of 100 watt solar panels that fit my budget to these 3 brands . . .

I have two Renogy 100W mono panels on my roof.  Still working great after 7 years.

barleyguy said:
 . . . I'm not sure why so many people go for 100 watt panels. 200 watt panels are not twice the size of 100 watt

When I bought (7 years ago), 100 watt panels were the largest FedEx or UPS would ship (free from Renogy).  200W panels were shipped freight = $$

200W panels from the Renogy are only 5% smaller in area, that's 3/4" around the periphery.
One 200W panel is more expensive than two 100W panels (same manufacturer).
100W panels were easier to muscle onto my roof (8 feet up on a ladder).

A few years ago the brand of solar panel was a bigger deal. These days the differences are tiny. Go with what you can get.

RobOfYork said:
I had not thought of looking at Home Depot. I'll have to check them out. Thanks.
I didn't see the Grape Solar today but I did see Renogy 100w:

[font=helvetica-neue,]https://www.homedepot.com/p/Renogy-...ar-Panel-Compact-Design-RNG-100D-SS/307642178[font=helvetica-neue,][font=helvetica-neue-bold,]Renogy[/font]100-Watt 12-Volt Monocrystalline Solar Panel Compact Design[/font]
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Renogy-...ar-Panel-Compact-Design-RNG-100D-SS/307642178[/font]

[font=helvetica-neue,]https://www.homedepot.com/p/Renogy-...ign-RNG-100D-SS/307642178#ratings-and-reviews
[size=small](126)

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Renogy-...ign-RNG-100D-SS/307642178#ratings-and-reviewsModel# RNG-100D-SS[/font][/size]

[font=helvetica-neue,][font=helvetica-neue-bold,]$10344[/font][/font]

Why do you need 100 watt panels? get the highest wattage and voltage panel(s) that will fit and a MPPT controller. Have you gone through the steps on figuring out what you actually need? Highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
Why do you need 100 watt panels?  get the highest wattage and voltage panel(s) that will fit and a MPPT controller.  Have you gone through the steps on figuring out what you actually need?  Highdesertranger
OP did say "My reasoning was to work around other things on the roof. Plus I want to wire panels in 2's. Have three sets of two. Each two wired in series and then the 3 groups wired parallel. This way if one or more solar panels are shaded some I don't lose as much efficiency."

Now maybe he hasn't in fact measured the 200 watt panels but that's what he had posted.
I know that for me a 200 or especially a (Santan great price) 300 watt panel is too long due to the curve of the roof.