Solar Panels - Serial, Parallel, Both?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geneeus

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm installing a second Renogy 200 watt solar panel in my van this weekend, and I had a thought. (I know, I know..... Shouldn't be thinking..) I have a 40 amp double-pole, double throw switch, and was thinking of installing it as shown in the diagram. That way, I could select the position which gave me the best performance for where I was parked. (cloudy day, partial obstruction of one or both panels due to buildings, trees, UFO's, zombies, etc.)

Any thoughts?

Thanks very much,

Geneeus

Interesting.... I don;t think, that with two panels, in your situation, it will matter, and it makes it all more complicated for no real gain.

I can see a benefit in certain situations, such as when one panel is shaded, from a tree or whatever, and you could switch to parallel so that the shaded panel in series wont be the bottleneck, when switched to parallel.

If both panels are in full sun you would want the switch flipped to series.

Don't let Renogy see your plans or they might make this a 'feature' in some future solar charge controllers!