• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Van Living Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Single Solar Panel Install Assistance & Possible Future Projects

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xsyntriknomad

Reaction score
I inhabit a 2013 Chevy Express 1500 Passenger Van. :) I've been 'on the road' for 5 years now and have been using a portable solar panel for the lst 2 years. It's kind of a hassle sometimes so I have purchased a single 200 watt solar panel to install on the roof of my van. I currenlty use a Jackery 240 and a Rockpals 500 but hope to upgrade to a Bluetti at the end of the year. (not looking to install batteries, stand alone inverter or whatever is involved in a standard set up - I know these all in one devices cost more but I appreciate the simplicity)

After much research and contemplation it's clear I can't physically or mentally perform this task on my own. I need assistance from someone smarter and more agile than me. I am happy and willing to pay someone a reasonable price for their work. I just need someone who understands how to make this work with the devices I use.

I am currently in Wyoming (Cheyenne area) but heading to Colorado (probably) in early June. I am super flexible about where I can go so I'm happy to meet someone somewhere. I work a remote job, 40 hours a week, 8-5 weekdays, so evenings or weekends are best for me.

As finances permit, I eventually want to install a simple floor, 'walls', max fan, and a bed. So someone who could do all these things, as my finances permit me to pay them, would be awesome!

The easiest way is probably to buy a pair of gutter clamp roof racks and fasten the panel to those. If you don't find anyone in WY or CO, I am in the Texas Panhandle and assuming you either have those gutter mounts or are willing to have holes drilled in the roof and use 'Z' brackets, the panel can probably be mounted and hooked up and producing power in an hour or so.

The main issue is the weather...the next three months are gonna be hot and/or stormy here in the Texas Panhandle. And of course, gas prices are not cheap!

Good luck!

The easiest way is probably to buy a pair of gutter clamp roof racks and fasten the panel to those. If you don't find anyone in WY or CO, I am in the Texas Panhandle and assuming you either have those gutter mounts or are willing to have holes drilled in the roof and use 'Z' brackets, the panel can probably be mounted and hooked up and producing power in an hour or so.

The main issue is the weather...the next three months are gonna be hot and/or stormy here in the Texas Panhandle. And of course, gas prices are not cheap!

Good luck!
Thank you so much for replying tx2sturgis! I definitely don't mind drilling and what you describe is what I expected for the mounting. Unfortunatley, I have bad timing with the weather. I'm going to need a little miraculous weather break or will need someone in a high elevation or coastal area if I'm goig to do it this summer. I do travel with a cat and I have to keep him cool ya know. :p.

Cool, unique spelling of "eccentric". Being eccentric is almost normal (a requirement?) for nomads.

Looks like your van does have gutters and Amazon has gutter mount roof racks for your specific vehicle. That simplifies the panel mounting, though doesn't make the process easy.

Weather has been wacky this May, hot early on, then a cold spell. In Nevada, too hot, upper 90's highs in one place, move up to a cooler location just in time for mid 30's overnight temps.

I suggest you join the Facebook group called Nomads helping Nomads. Post your request to them. There is likely to be someone camping in Colorado who can assist you with that task.

I currenlty use a Jackery 240 and a Rockpals 500 but hope to upgrade to a Bluetti at the end of the year.
Look into EcoFlow power stations. In general, they are better than Bluetti. The company has occasional sales events where their products are deeply discounted (like 20-30% off). They just ended a flash sale where a couple of models were 50% off. Get on their email list or join their Facebook group to be notified when these events occur.

Like you, I am also in the power station camp. The limitation that I am bumping up against is the limited number of ports. My fridge and heater both require 10A DC port. So I'm maxed out and can't accommodate any additional DC appliance that requires more than 5A. My next project will be installing a electrical distribution box that is powered by my power station. Decide if you will need to do this before you purchase your next power station, because if that is the case, your choices are limited.

As finances permit, I eventually want to install a simple floor, 'walls', max fan, and a bed. So someone who could do all these things, as my finances permit me to pay them, would be awesome!
I too have a passenger van and have no construction skills or tools to speak of. Much of a van build can be done by a residential tradesmen/handymen. They can be easily found everywhere. I hired someone on Task Rabbit to build a toilet box/ottoman. The process wasn't super efficient because I didn't know exactly what I wanted, but we figured it out together. I paid him $25 per hour and it took 10 hours.

My floor consists of plywood laid on top of the OEM flooring and attached via U bolts to the seat mounts. There's some skill involved in using a jigsaw to cut sheets of plywood to the contours of the van floor. This is well within the scope of a handyman.

My van has OEM plastic wall paneling. I did not remove it because I knew that I could not build anything aesthetically better. I worried about the lack of insulation. But 2 years in and it has not become a pain point worthy of addressing.

Building a bed can be extremely simple: a platform with legs. My mattress platform is a sheet of plywood and the legs are metal pipe, screwed into the floor and the platform. Material cost < $100, labor cost $0. I had the plywood cut to size by Home Depot at purchase. I assembled the bed in 20 minutes, using only a screwdriver.

I don't use solar panels so I am reluctant to speak on this... My EcoFlow power station came with the necessary XT60 cable, there's no setup, its literally connect the panel cable and plug it in. I think Bluetti is similar. My van has an OEM roof rack and an access port. If your van is similar, it would be fairly simple to mount a panel and route the wires into the cabin. This shouldn't cost more than $200-300. This should be well within the capabilities of a handyman. There are licensed contractors like electricians listed on Task Rabbit if you want more skilled labor.

I do not have a rooftop fan. I am considering that versus installing an air conditioner. I don't have room for both. I would only entrust this job to a professional installer. I expect the labor on this to be $500-1000. In my opinion, this is the only project on your list that requires advanced skill.

The thread is a year old. I hope they figured it out at this point.