Solar Panels Sitting Idle

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 29503

Reaction score
I had some health problems with a family member come up that required me to house and dog sit for 3 months. I have not hooked up my solar yet, as I have had other commitments after that are priority over the build. I've been nervous about the my panels sitting idle with no connection. The are installed on my roof, with the connectors protected from the elements. From what I understand silicon based panels shouldn't have an issue with that posture. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Second, they have a nice coating of tree sap. Is it safe to use a power washer? What is safe and effective?

Leaving the panels disconnected is not a problem. I would NOT suggest using a pressure washer. A mild solvent such as paint thinner (mineral spirits) or alcohol applied with a rag would be a better option for removing the tree sap.

Rubbing alcohol or alcohol based hand sanitizer works to remove tree sap and the panels won't be harmed by being disconnected or even directly shorted.