Install Solar Panels on Minivan Roof in Series or Parallel?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magentawave

Reaction score
I will be living and traveling in my 2006 Toyota Sienna minivan and am about to install two 100 watt Renogy solar panels (https://tinyurl.com/ydrgkfvq) on the top. 

I have two questions, please... 

1) Should I install the two panels in Series or Parallel?

2) What kind of cables should I get for whatever the consensus is on how I should install these Renogy panels (Series or Parallel)?

Thank you very much! :)

You will get more from your panels in series with an MPPT controller. There is a downside insofar as if either panel gets partially shaded, you lose the output from both panels. If you are going to use a PWM controller, you will have to wire in parallel. Any voltage coming in higher than what your batteries can take is thrown away as heat with PWM. I would recommend 10Ga wire no matter which way you wire them.

For the short distance involved you probably won't see much difference. When hooked in series you will have to use a more expensive MPPT controller. I have four panels which gives me a total of 400 watts. Unfortunately the wattage of each panel differs so I have to hook them up in parallel.

If you haven't already ordered your panels I would suggest buying from Home Depot. I recently purchased two 100 watt panels for $72.94 each.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/WindyNa...Camping-Off-Grid-SOL-HD-100LP-01-HD/312874729

Wiring in series with a MPPT controller will be more efficient. But wired in parallel with a PWM will work and be much cheaper. Think about your needs in the future, buy this stuff once.

The two 100 watt Renogy panels https://tinyl.io/3ilO will charge an Ecoflow Delta 1300 https://tinyl.io/3ilO. (The Delta has a lithium battery, MPPT controller and inverter and can handle 10-65 volts, 10 amps, 400 watts maximum.)

You guys don't think I should be concerned about the shade issue with the panels in series?

Tom_M said:
For the short distance involved you probably won't see much difference. When hooked in series you will have to use a more expensive MPPT controller. I have four panels which gives me a total of 400 watts. Unfortunately the wattage of each panel differs so I have to hook them up in parallel.

If you haven't already ordered your panels I would suggest buying from Home Depot. I recently purchased two 100 watt panels for $72.94 each.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/WindyNa...Camping-Off-Grid-SOL-HD-100LP-01-HD/312874729

I already bought the panels and those at Home Depot are too wide for my application, but hat's a really good deal! Thank you.

I could milk a little more out of my panels in series but I have them (2) wired in parallel because of shading issues. I don't run into that problem in the desert but I'm not always in the desert. I was glad I wired them that way when I moved to higher elevation and into the forest last spring

Either way, it's easily reversed unless the wiring isn't accessible

I wired mine in parallel and don't regret it. I see the HD panels are out of stock right now. Maybe they will get more in, that's a good deal.

Even though series gives you theoretically more useable amperage with the MPPT conversion, as several have said you have to watch the shading.

Considering the places you will likely be parked should answer your question (ie. if you intend on being in the desert SW like BW etc then wire in series, if much of anywhere else, I'd go parallel.).

Just make sure your controller is a real MPPT (anything under $70 is likely fake) and it can take the voltage.
Example of a likely fake controller:
Vehpro MPPT 40A-100A 12V/24V Auto Focus Tracking Solar Panel Regulator Dual USB Port Charge Controller (50A)
Brand: Autoday-3C
3.9 out of 5 stars 459 ratings
Price: $27.98 & FREE Returns

1.0 out of 5 stars PWM not MPPT
Reviewed in the United States on October 28, 2020
Size: 40A
"The terminals are rated for >10A and this is a PWM controller. Someone told the manufacturer to call it an MPPT because they sell more but this is a total rip off and should be removed."

1.0 out of 5 stars This is PWM and NOT MPPT
Reviewed in the United States on December 10, 2020
Size: 40A
"Look at the user manual, it states it right there. The seller even stated it's PWM in one of the answers but it was stated in broken English so it doesn't read exactly that way. You won't find MPPT at this price range. I wish you could!"

I prefer the coast and mountains over the desert and will be urban stealth camping a lot so shade will be unpredictable.

The Ecoflow Delta is supposed to have a good MPPT controller.

Well, shoot, looks like I should install the panels in parallel instead!

Parallel to coincide with the parallel universe; government studies have shown to be effective.