Mounting 4 100watt solar panels to Honda Odyssey Roof Advice

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lance22

Reaction score
Ok, so right now I have 2 100 watt solar panels on my roof that I simply drilled holes in the sides and U bolted them to the roof rails and they been solid ever since. However the roof rails are not long enough to mount 2 more pannels. I was THINKING I might buy some metal L shape pieces that I can drill into and bolt the panels to the metal L pieces and then U bolt the L pieces to the roof rails. Thoughts?

Also I would like to put one or better yet two roof vent with fans into the minivan roof. So I'm a bit not sure how much higher if any more I want to raise the pannels above the height of the roof rails. I did buy some after market cross bars which I could mount them to which would give more height (obviously I would still u bolt them with bigger U bolt to the actual rails because I don't trust them to stay secure)

If anyone has a minivan with solar on top AND a roof vent with fan any input be much appreciated. I figured having two vs one would be better given the decrease in airflow with the pannels directly above but maybe be better to just raise them higher but less stealth and a decrease in gas mileage make me think otherwise.

Just remove the covers from the roof vents and place them under the panels. The panels will keep the rain out. Thats how I been using my roof vent for the past 10 years, never had any rain come in my van. Doing it that way you don't have to raise the panels any higher.

Picture of my 14 inch roof vent under the 365 watt panel.
1 roof vents 365b.jpeg

Any rain intrusion while driving at 60 mph during rainstorm?
I have thought about doing this if I ever redo my solar. I had figured I would need a shield in front for driving rain.

Never had any rain come inside even when its raining on the freeway. On the inside in winter I just cover up the exposed areas to keep the cold out.

Inside roof vent
a roof vents.jpg