How soon will electric or hybrid vans/RVs be common?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A hybrid RV is already on the market. How common they become depends on how quickly more electric vehicle refueling stations get built in areas where there is a lot of camping activity.

Last edited:
I googled truth electric cars & these were the top 5 that came up. I would expect a cherry picked website like carbonbrief to say exactly what it does. IMHO EVs are being forced on drivers too fast before the they're ready. Google truth electric cars to prove it's true. I like the EV idea & we have 4 electric scooters but think in 5 years we'll have much better batteries & tech.

https://www.autoweek.com/news/a44942879/truths-and-lies-about-electric-cars/https://www.motortrend.com/features/truth-about-electric-cars-ad-why-you-are-being-lied-to/

Here's one that was 6th under some ads https://www.autoblog.com/2023/02/20...nient Truth About,places to recharge that car.

https://www.google.com/search?q=truth+electric+cars

Last edited:
I saw somewhere that there is a plan to stop all new fuel engine vehicles from being sold in US. I assume it includes RVs and commercial trucks.

I saw somewhere that there is a plan to stop all new fuel engine vehicles from being sold in US. I assume it includes RVs and commercial trucks.
Where did you see it? (Was it a reliable source?)
Who has a plan?
When is this plan supposed to start?
People are batting around 1000s of ideas right now. Unless you know the answers to questions like those ^^, it's hard to tell what a statement like that actually means.

For a ban on internal combustion engines to take effect in the US, there would need to be a law passed in Congress, by Congresspeople you elect. If you follow the news even a little, you would hear about it well before it happened. (If you don't follow the news, then do yourself a favor and don't follow random BS on social media either because it will only stress you out and it won't be reliable.)

PS Picking the top five hits on google is not the best way to get reliable information. There are lots of people and organizations that would be happy to help you learn how to get the most reliable info out of the internet. Start by asking your local librarian!

(ah, that was too snarky so I deleted it. sorry. I'm in a time crunch or I'd do a better job of explaining what I mean. that's on me. never mind!)

Last edited:
It's pretty much impossible to tell what's going on if scientific literacy is lacking. Endless... blah, blah, blah...

The forte of electric (which has been true for a couple decades) is tiny urban vehicles. Lightweight, simple, short range, cheap. They don't exist, because they aren't safe sharing the roads with 6,000 lb behemoths... which are usually carrying a payload of one human; 100-250 lbs? Think for a moment how insane that is. This "problem" is solvable. We can drastically cut urban energy consumption, traffic and parking congestion, cost of transport, etc.

Instead the most popular electric cars can do 0-60 in under 3 seconds, and have a 300 mile range... which requires a frickin ton of batteries. And lately they are trying to make pickups, which the public has deemed their preferred vehicle. The problem though is that even when you equip them with 2 tons of batteries, they can only tow a trailer 100 miles... which just doesn't work. Oops.

Trying to make a do-everything electric vehicle that is all things to all people, is an issue. Yes, they are the future... probably. There are many advantages compared to ICEs, and most of the criticisms are just plain lies. They are cheaper to run, far simpler, produce much less CO2 and polution, the grid can handle it, etc. But they are not the present. ICE vehicles will be around for a couple decades at least.

And frankly, the fact that we are completely missing their best application pisses me off. We should not be replacing our ubiquitous 6,000 SUVs and pickups with electric versions. We could do so much more with less.

There are many advantages compared to ICEs, and most of the criticisms are just plain lies. They are cheaper to run, far simpler, produce much less CO2 and polution, the grid can handle it, etc. But they are not the present. ICE vehicles will be around for a couple decades at least.
Actually, they are only cheaper to run in certain situations. The main one being able to charge overnight at home.

If you charge using public pay chargers they cost roughly the same per mile driven as gas. There was an article on this and I was very surprised by the results. I've seen other articles with the same or similar conclusions.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a45036169/electric-vehicle-ev-cost-to-charge/

I don't think that's a surprise considering the infrastructure required to install fast charge stations for travelers. I'd expect the cost of those to go down with greater adoption. Slow overnight charging will always be the cheapest though... currently ~1/3 the cost of gas. That doesn't have to be at home, just needs to be where you are parked.

I saw a YT on an EV with built in solar panels that for every hour of sun it added 5 miles of driving so you could commute 20 miles away & not have to charge on good days.

I don't have insight into when EV RV's will be common, but if they begin to be a significant number on the road, RV parks will add separate charging stations and/or allow charging overnight in a spot. Added revenue being a strong motivator.

I saw a YT on an EV with built in solar panels that for every hour of sun it added 5 miles of driving so you could commute 20 miles away & not have to charge on good days.
If you're only doing small moves it's a great idea. Add a generator as backup for just in case and it's possibly a great setup.

If you're doing a 14 day stay before moving it would be a game changer. Figure 12 days of charging and that's 240 miles of driving to the next spot.

You'll probably need more solar for other needs but that's still pretty cool. Or drive less and use the remaining solar for living.

Not opposed to excellent use of new technology. Even a plug in hybrid with a decent EV only range would benefit from this. I hope they expand to these scenarios.

In one of the links I posted an electric ford 150 was $55k & went 230 claimed miles if I remember right. The bigger battery pack added 90 more claimed miles but added $25k to make $80k to go 320 claimed miles. I also detest the chinese using slave child labor in africa to mine the minerals for the batteries. Sorry, just not for me.

If you're doing a 14 day stay before moving it would be a game changer. Figure 12 days of charging and that's 240 miles of driving to the next spot.
A DIY lightweight vehicle would make this much more viable. Or if we were in Europe we could buy something. This vehicle is very light and supposedly gets 120mi range on a mere 10 kWh.

Electric-Brands-Xbus-1068x601.jpg

If you have a broadband connection or a WIFI source to watch this NHK World news cast that aired today,(10/30/23) there is some interesting information from Japan about using Cell Phone building technology as applied to building electric vehicles. The MIH Consortium is trying to focus more on specialized software for future development such that designer/engineers & developers could order thru third party builders who would source thru readily available components to produce custom platforms and market such vehicles under their own brand. This represents the first step in this trend.

This is being presented presently at the "Japan Mobility Car Show".

The portion of the broadcast you will want to see starts at 17:00 and end at 22:50 in this NHK broadcast.

Building next-generation vehicles from the inside out

Last edited: