How soon will electric or hybrid vans/RVs be common?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peacepanda

Reaction score
I've been thinking seriously about buying a camper van or RV. I've been a little hesitant though as I wonder just how quickly (or not) electric powered vans and RVs will become common. I don't want to make a major investment and then be stuck with old technology before too many years have gone by. I noticed recently Tesla announced the Tesla Semi. I realize even as electric powered RVs become a thing, it doesn't mean they will be affordable.

What do you think? How soon will electric or hybrid vans/RVs be common? Is the possibility giving any of you pause on a van or RV purchase?

I guess I am wondering why you would put your life on hold waiting for tech that isn't here yet?  When will it be available?  I don't have a crystal ball.  When will it will be common?  It will be years before the "old" tech goes away.  Look at the cars.  They have been around for what, a decade or more?  I still don't see that many of them.  When they do become available, they will be at a premium above what "old" tech costs and personally I will not spend that money when they are released.  I will let someone else take all the initial hits on depreciation and getting the bugs worked out.  I would put it in the tank spread out over years.  If you are intent on electric power, do as Suanne does and use a Prius.  YMMV

In the US market, rate we're going, two decades.

And will be crazy expensive compared to fuel burners for double that.

So I would not wait, you'll have 5-10 years' notice before the time comes.

RVs are still shipping with beige interiors that were dated in the 1970s, on van platforms that haven’t been redesigned since the 1980s with technology like absorption fridges that despite causing a large number of massive fires in RVs over the years resulting in a couple class action lawsuits are less efficient and more expensive than compressor based models.

They will build on hybrid and electric platforms when they are forced to.

Some companies are trying— hymer’s e-Trek is one example and Winnebago has just released a Class-a with a modern interior.... but they are the exception alas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't wait for an electric and/or hybrid RV.

I was intrigued by the Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid commercial, though. It states something like 84 eMPG (not sure if that really means what it sounds like). The website says an electric range of 33 miles; not very useful for a nomad, but probably just fine for a soccer mom. I believe most of these hybrids do better with city mileage vs highway (I'm guessing b/c of regenerative braking).

In New Zealand we are starting to have the first ones, I woudnt buy one until they are on the road for a while.

In America 5 years new, 8 years minimum before you'd find a decent used one or 12-15 before you'll see an economy used one.

Just guesswork from watching what's going on in America.

Keep in mind this would be driven by work van demand as opposed to everyday passenger vehicle demand.

But if this keeps you up at night buy a cheap used model and live life while waiting to see how the future progresses.

kaBLOOnie Boonster said:
:rolleyes: Personally I will hold off on buying an electric RV until I see the first charging station built into a saguaro cactus on some remote BLM land.

Yep, it's gonna be a bit of a challenge to install charging stations everywhere they are needed....the infrastructure is just not there yet.

And fully solar powered electric vehicles are just a pipe dream at this stage, and the few concept models that are out there, are very small, expensive, and have a limited range per charge.

In 2007 I went to a Hybridfest in Madison WI. and rode around in a Hybrid bus, so if they had that for mass transit, they should be coming up real soon one would think. Or maybe if the climate change deniers finally get their heads out of you know what, things will happen. http://www.cityofmadison.com/metro/news/hybrids.cfm

kaBLOOnie Boonster said:
:rolleyes: Personally I will hold off on buying an electric RV until I see the first charging station built into a saguaro cactus on some remote BLM land.

Another way to look at it:  Would you stay at a 25-50$/night RV campground if it offered full hookups AND a free tank of gas?

Well, you could have that now if your van or RV was electric.   Think of these parks  as deluxe 'fueling stations'  for EV's.  Thus we have more potential charging stations than you might think.

JT646 said:
   Well, you could have that now if your van or RV was electric.   Think of these parks  as deluxe 'fueling stations'  for EV's.  Thus we have more potential charging stations than you might think.

That's an interesting thought, but I wonder how long it would take for RV park owners to realize the electric usage was going way up when certain types or brands of RV's were hooked up.

When people are willing to pay ridiculous prices to save $0.00 and ultimately, don't mind paying nearly 150% more to operate and repair the things.

There is no savings in hybrid vehicles, just diverted losses. They cost more to operate and sustain, and are harder to get rid of.

When all the unpurchased failures are purchased, a new wave of creations will come into existence. It is hard to make money off "family vehicles", and easy to make money off "personal vehicles", selling false hopes and dreams. (All the garbage about being green and saving money.*)

* Saves money on gas, but costs 2x more to charge and 1.5x more hidden expenses and 2.5x more for any repairs, which will be 10x more for repairs, since nothing is "standard", in ten years, when the cars are finally paid-off and will then be scrapped as "non-green waste".

Having owned 2 prius vehicles and a suburban. I would much rather have an EV or hybrid larger truck. SO speaking from first hand knowledge, upkeep and maintenance is easier on hybrid, and electric vehicle as I too have built an ev car 5 yrs ago. There are def savings in Hybrid vehicles
Gas is number 1. Less oil changes #2 the less your engine runs means less wear and tear on it. #3 longevity if it is not running your engine last longer and thus giving you more miles per life of vehicle. A lot of people bring up batteries Bullshit. My first prius had 300k miles and never had to replace a battery or a single cell on it . I trading it for the Toyota prius v largest prius they make still getting 45 mpg from it. Sitting in traffic is a no brainer and no worry if you are low on fuel since you don't have a gas guzzler. Then lets talk environment I know lets hear about the battery lol Like I said the battery pack are not as much of a pollutant as a truck putting out black or blue exhaust . I will tell you this as well, factory farms hurt the environment worse than vehicles in general, don't believe it YOU look it up. EV's even better no more oil changes very low to almost no maintenance required depending on battery type you use. I love solar , it is not costly to charge an ev either , and that also depends on the kilowatt the elec. co. charges but supplement with a solar system.

Yes just from the green "big picture" POV, electrification is the way to go.

Exception is self-wrenchers with robust olf models they can keep going a million+ miles, but those are few and far between.

One day sensible regulations will make the biggest evil planned obsolescence illegal, or just crazy expensive with taxes, even subsidize the 100-year models.

There’s electric conversions which if you had money and resources would be fun to build. I work at one of the Ford plants that make the larger transit vehicles and there’s always talk of hybrid options and I’m pretty sure the big holdup is the battery technology and needing them to be more powerful, economical, as well as lighter in weight. Smith Electric Vehicles is located fairly close to us right now in the KC Missouri area and they’re struggling to keep up with demand. Their problem is the longer it takes to make a vehicle the more its gonna cost (or they’re gonna lose in profit...).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

peacepanda said:
I noticed recently Tesla announced the Tesla Semi. I realize even as electric powered RVs become a thing, it doesn't mean they will be affordable.

What do you think? How soon will electric or hybrid vans/RVs be common? Is the possibility giving any of you pause on a van or RV purchase?
Put affordability aside, Tesla uses 85 kWh battery pack weighs 1,200 lb (540 kg) and contains 7,104 lithium-ion battery cells on model 3. Problem with  lithium-ion battery is that it's not stable as lithium-iron. If it overheats during charge cycle, it can catch on fire. Same goes with during the use. That's why they have built-in cooling system for the battery on Tesla vehicle and it seat in the bottom of the car. Second is the weight. In order to have full electric Semi, RV, Vans and other larger vehicles are weight of the battery. Larger vehicles such as semi trucks and large vans will be carrying more in battery weight than your typical payload. Third is distance to travel. You couldn't hookup solar to charge batteries. You need charging station depending on the payload carried but no more that 300 miles using car verse larger vehicle interpolation based on battery weight in the cars.

I don't think there will be full EV for semi truck and large vehicles. However, hybrid semi truck and large vehicles do exist since main component is fuel and not fuel cells.

John61CT said:
Yes just from the green "big picture" POV, electrification is the way to go.

If you run the numbers and do basic research, you will find that this is not the case for electric vehicles used in general and heavy transportation...and will not likely be 'the way to go' during our lifetime.