How soon will electric or hybrid vans/RVs be common?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There always a solution to a problem. Just not always a good, or even palatable one.

Pricey...but we haven't heard any conspiracy theory stories from 'sturgis' for awhile.... :eek:
Does it really need a conspiracy theory when it costs $200k?

Has a low ground clearance so it's an on road kinda vehicle. Front wheel drive. Which is expected as it's a primary focus is as a delivery van.

Requires level 3 cheering to get that 160 Mike range in an hour charging, assuming you can find a level 3 charger that's working at full capacity. Hopefully that will be more common since they spent a ton of money to make it happen.

The solar setup is for house batteries , not charging the drive battery. But sure if you can use it for emergency charging, but it would be a smart move.

It's an interesting, if overpriced, vehicle option. Future iterations should be better for mobile living. And hopefully the prices will come down at some point.

Does it really need a conspiracy theory when it costs $200k?
To be fair though, there are existing gas van based RVs that cost around that... I've seen promaster RVs and some Transit base RVs selling at dealers for $180k... Not suggesting that this is reasonable by any means! But the 200k price on a commercial RV build (if it's equivalent to existing ones) isn't too insane...

When I fire up YouTube I often see videos questioning our desire for EV vehicles. It seems they aren't flying off the lots yet. Whether it is an RV or a sedan, it doesn't require a conspiracy OR a lack of support. It just requires a much lower price! I would happily give up half the range and double the time it takes to recharge if I could just find something that otherwise meets my needs and was affordable.

When I fire up YouTube I often see videos questioning our desire for EV vehicles. It seems they aren't flying off the lots yet. Whether it is an RV or a sedan, it doesn't require a conspiracy OR a lack of support. It just requires a much lower price! I would happily give up half the range and double the time it takes to recharge if I could just find something that otherwise meets my needs and was affordable.
They are flying off the shelves in China and Europe. I was surprised to learn that Tesla doesn't sell nearly as many as the #1 EV car company:

https://www.byd.com/us

Is the one in the middle a van? These are from BYD. Unless my math is wrong, the Han model (sedan) costs $24K.

Attachments

• BYD.PNG
    BYD.PNG
    833.6 KB · Views: 0
The Chevy bolt was an affordable EV and many bought it. If you build it and it's not expensive, they will come.

And if they can find a reasonable way to charge it, they will go as well. :)

Last year I was ready to buy a Ford F150 Hybrid for about $20k. I figured maybe I could either tow or carry some kind of lightweight camper. Maybe something I could build myself - out of foam? But I couldn't even get on a dealer's waiting list. They did have some Ford F150 Lightings at $50k - not counting possible dealer markups. I may take another run at the Hybrid this year. It's not a total EV but is a step in the right direction AND in my price range.

Where are you finding an F150 Hybrid for $20k?

2021 was the first year, so not very used.

That was a down payment. For a lease lol.

JK, I don't know.

There is a Ford Maverick truck hybrid that is in the $20k+ range. It's very well regarded and has a waiting list 2 years out.

There is a Ford Maverick truck hybrid that is in the $20k+ range. It's very well regarded and has a waiting list 2 years out.
There was a brief time when you could have actually bought one for $20k, if you were willing to be an early adopter and ordered ahead. Good vehicle, actually gets over 40 mpg in the city.

I've been thinking seriously about buying a camper van or RV. I've been a little hesitant though as I wonder just how quickly (or not) electric powered vans and RVs will become common. I don't want to make a major investment and then be stuck with old technology before too many years have gone by. I noticed recently Tesla announced the Tesla Semi. I realize even as electric powered RVs become a thing, it doesn't mean they will be affordable.

What do you think? How soon will electric or hybrid vans/RVs be common? Is the possibility giving any of you pause on a van or RV purchase?
I recently became aware of one brand in TX...REGENCY RV ULTRA BROUGHAM MOTOR HOME CLASS B+ - DIESEL RVS..high as he'll nice too but literally a mortgage lol. Check them out build your own and just solar up? 2000 worth of panels or more would cover a lot and then some lol

As some have surmised, it WAS the Ford Maverick truck hybrid I was referring to. But it sold out so fast I could never catch up with one. There was obviously a demand for the (even partially EV) truck at that price point. And a hybrid does reduce environmental impact compared to fossil fueled vehicles.

One would think the auto companies could just keep their old ickie IC engine and replace it with more batteries or such to make a true EV for about the same price. Yah, I know it doesn't work that way. But... :)

A hybrid has many more real world uses at this point in time. It gets more mpg, uses less gas which helps things, and didn't weigh as much so you don't go through tires as fast. That eliminates some rubber dust contamination that is more of a problem with EVs due to their weight.

EV trucks also have some current limitations, no pun intended. So a decent hybrid is the best option in some areas

The maverick a very solid concept for a truck. And because it isn't an oversized large truck it performs decent.