How humans desire a tribal sense of belonging that is missing from modern life

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rvpopeye said:
We're more a birds of a feather thing but tribe sounds so cool !
Labels can be so vague !

I don't see Bob as a chief , just a great guy sharing and enjoying his new life with other like minded friends.
Long live CRVL ! The real chief is the group itself.

i was using tribe in a historical context and not the site context of group/gathering
although i only know Bob from the site and some vids he seem way to nice/forgiving to be a chief/boss,you have to be cold blooded look a nice person you like in the eye and tell them they are going to be sacrificed/fired for that

well now that i think of it,that anti ford post Bob made,he might have it in him :D

Gary68 said:
ummm
buffalo09.jpg

have a couple buffalo herds where i live,they seem to be doing fine

Yes, they are doing fine NOW, over 200 years after the 'Indian wars' and buffalo bounties, due the dedicated efforts on the part of conservationists to bring the heards back to viability levels
200+ years is a LOT of time to make new babt bison
they were nearly wiped out at one point

Humans were almost exclusively accountable for the near-extinction of the American bison in the 1800s. At the beginning of the century, tens of millions of bison roamed North America. Humans slaughtered an estimated 50 million bison,[41] generally for their meat or hides. The overhunting the bison reduced their population to hundreds. Attempts to revive the American bison have been highly successful. Farming of bison has increased their population to nearly 150,000. The American bison is, therefore, no longer considered an endangered species.[42] The extinction of four species of bison (B. antiquus, B. latifrons, B. occidentalis, and B. priscus) was due to natural selection (see section Evolution and genetic history).

As of July 2015, an estimated 4,900 bison lived in Yellowstone National Park, the largest U.S. bison population on public land

but that whole discussion is off topic
If out of a million people, a few hundred, or a few thousand, don't display the same characteristics of the majority, that doesn't mean it's not characteristic of the species, only that there are a few who go their own way
I'm usually very happy on my own, with a good book, but now and then I do need others around
They don't even need to speak to me, I just sometimes need to share space with other people

RE: How humans desire a tribal sense of belonging that is missing from modern life-----
Being new to the forums (this is my first - and maybe my last - input), I read as much as I can to get valuable info regarding RV living/van living. Awesome info - in large part thanks to Bob Wells.
I see however also quite a few disturbing contributions by bigots, racists, hypocrites, history ignoramuses, blowhards, and fact spinners and deniers. The thread about tribes and "Indians" is a good example - a sad one, really. I'm disturbed by this. I had high hopes that van dwellers are, by and large, a small segment of society that is more enlightened than the rest. Ah, well....

Van dwellers are as varied as any other segment of the population. If you can only tolerate people who agree with your own philosophy, you will live in a very narrow world, indeed.

Guenter said:
I see however also quite a few disturbing contributions by bigots, racists, hypocrites, history ignoramuses, blowhards, and fact spinners and deniers. The thread about tribes and "Indians" is a good example -  a sad one, really. I'm disturbed by this. I had high hopes that van dwellers are, by and large, a small segment of society that is more enlightened than the rest. Ah, well....

Not to mention those who feel superior to others and want to pass judgement on them. I am pretty sure that if either you or I was to leave here, nobody would pout about it for long. I personally haven't seen any racist posts. 

As far as the "Native American " topic, land was taken back and forth for centuries before whitie got here.  Everyone cries look what "they" did to us. How about look what they done for us? This topic really does make me sore. I watched a documentary of a Native American wearing western attire sitting in a pickup truck shooting a buffalo with a high powered rifle all the while bad mouthing white man. Why had he not rejected the white man's ways and gone after it with a spear wearing hides? If it wasn't for the Spanish the horse would not be here. Whiners, get over it. Every culture has been impacted by another. Wars won and lost. The losing side often comes up on the short side. I am tired of being blamed and shamed by what happened before I was born.

I worked on the waterfront with a "native American" he said growing up as part of his right to manhood he had to kill a Mountain lion with just a club. I said Damn that must of been tough. He said no, there were 50 of us in the club and we all had high powered rifles.

DannyB1954 said:
 I am tired of being blamed and shamed by what happened before I was born.

Quite true. People aren't asked to take responsibility for even what their own fathers did, but they're supposed to endlessly apologize for people who are no relationship to them - other than they originated on the same continent. Whenever someone says something like "what WE did to such and such group I always ask for clarification of the word 'we'., because asking people to take responsibility simply because of the color of their skin or national origin is prejudice at it's finest.

Guenter said:
RE: How humans desire a tribal sense of belonging that is missing from modern life-----
Being new to the forums (this is my first - and maybe my last - input), I read as much as I can to get valuable info regarding RV living/van living. Awesome info - in large part thanks to Bob Wells.
I see however also quite a few disturbing contributions by bigots, racists, hypocrites, history ignoramuses, blowhards, and fact spinners and deniers. The thread about tribes and "Indians" is a good example -  a sad one, really. I'm disturbed by this. I had high hopes that van dwellers are, by and large, a small segment of society that is more enlightened than the rest. Ah, well....
I am just curious as to how we need to be "enlightened"?

I have not encountered any bigotry, or ignoramuses or any overt racism. You paint a large, varied group with a very large brush.

I hope you stay and contribute to the forum, it is very welcoming to anyone, but if in fact you are disappointed and/or disturbed by the benign comments on this forum, well... Have a good day.

I feel slighted.Guenter didn't even mention assholes.Oh hell,stick around Guenter,we may grow on you.We have some good discussions on here,but when the discussion is over we move on to the next topic without harboring ill feelings.At least that's been my experience.

Gunny said:
... I have not encountered any bigotry, or ignoramuses or any overt racism. ...

Really?  While there's not a whole lot of it, it's definitely there.

The moderators delete posts that they believe are insulting to an individual or a group.  Judging from the moderators comments, complaints from posters who wonder where their post is, and replies to posts that are no longer there, quite a few are removed.  The remaining posts make the group look like it has fewer demeaning members than it actually has.  I'm hoping it's still a minority.

At least once a month I've seen posts where my first thought was eww and has a moderator seen this.  Happy to say those disappear within hours.  Kudos to the moderators who try to balance freedom of speech against bullying.

Guenter said:
I see however also quite a few disturbing contributions by bigots, racists, hypocrites, history ignoramuses, blowhards, and fact spinners and deniers. The thread about tribes and "Indians" is a good example - a sad one, really. I'm disturbed by this. I had high hopes that van dwellers are, by and large, a small segment of society that is more enlightened than the rest. Ah, well....

Citation needed
actually, several, from the multiple accusations

bigsallysmom said:
Really?  While there's not a whole lot of it, it's definitely there.

The moderators delete posts that they believe are insulting to an individual or a group.  Judging from the moderators comments, complaints from posters who wonder where their post is, and replies to posts that are no longer there, quite a few are removed.  The remaining posts make the group look like it has fewer demeaning members than it actually has.  I'm hoping it's still a minority.

At least once a month I've seen posts where my first thought was eww and has a moderator seen this.  Happy to say those disappear within hours.  Kudos to the moderators who try to balance freedom of speech against bullying.

If one bothered to take the time to actually keep track of the names of posters who have their offensive posts deleted, it would become clear that the posts are made by a really tiny minority as compared to the vast number of members. Some people just don't seem to get it straight that the environment here won't tolerate their trashy talk. They either learn or they go away because they don't agree with what they mistakenly perceive as the lack of freedom of expression.

And major kudos to all of our Mods! They have lives too but someone always seems to be here within a short time frame to do 'clean up on Aisle 4'... :)

Moderators delete posts for many other reasons, (going off topic, if your statement disagrees with their views etc.)
One of my posts that was deleted had to do with gun control. Another time they said people were going off topic even though I was addressing something the original poster said during their thread.
This board does not guarantee free speech.

We are very far off topic, lets get back on topic. You're welcome to discuss the moderation here, but it needs it's own thread.
Bob

Schoolteacher John Taylor Gatto taught kids for almost 30 years (3 times NYC Schoolteacher of the Year, once NY State Teacher of the Year) wrote in his book "Dumbing Us Down: the Hidden Curriculum of Compulsory Schooling" that one of the purposes of govt-mandated schooling was to divide the family, first by the combined 6-7 hrs of school + the several hours of homework done in their rooms.  Plus, the rising inflation tends to create the need for both parents to work.  And, the popular fomula of putting older people in assisted living separates the family further.  When you separate the children from their parents and grandparents, the old interaction between them dies.  Kids used to be able to talk to people outside their own age group.  I've stopped beside teenagers to tell them that both their brakelights were out, and they stared at me like I was speaking Vulcan.  Their ignorance is also appalling, but that's another subject.

And when you separate the generations, then someone else gains control.  Guess who (or rather, what)?

Good observations. One thing I noted about some Mennonite friends was the maturity of the children, who were mostly home-schooled and spent most of their time around adults and siblings. They also had real responsibilities at an early age and felt useful and necessary.