How Have You Changed Since Vandwelling?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iggy

Reaction score
It's much different to live in a vehicle versus in a dwelling. This creates many changes in our routines, things we own, even the people that we hang out with. Has vandwelling changed who you are as a person?
My life before was very busy. I worked a lot, dated quite frequently, worked out nearly every day, ate out mostly, and bought things I didn't really need. I ended super stressed, on anti-depressants, unable to sleep, and eventually broke, living in a homeless shelter.
Since I got into a van in the winter of 2013-14 (don't remember the actual date), I feel I've been changing as a person. Way more laid back, less social, more picky who I spend time with, better with money, enjoying exploring both nature and old town parts of cities, able to concentrate better on books and studying, comfort being alone, more tidy, more appreciative of little things (like a beautiful day, a shower, good company, a free meal), content with where I am and what I'm doing but also enjoying travel and change, and less concerned in what people think of me.
My life has changed, almost entirely for the better. I'm still close to broke but am way happier. There have been external changes but the internal is what really matters.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

super stressed, on anti-depressants, unable to sleep

Pretty much where I am now. Things have to change, I am the only one who can change it.
It will be a couple of months yet. May try to wait until I can go straight to Quartzite. I have a lot to learn.

My transition into a Van was fairly seamless as i had been used to living from a backpack travelling overseas for an extended timespan.

I'd already learned it was so much easier to travel light, less was more, and impressing others with shiny expensive objects might keep the economy up and running, but that I wanted no part of it.

How have I changed? Well I am more cynical and more contemptuous of the status quo, and want even less to do with what everybody else works for.

They can chase that Dangling carrot, if it makes them happy. Or if they think it will. I know for me, it will not.

There's good days and bad days , I feel lost though because I don't want to live the mobile lifestyle no more.
Seems like it takes me a very long time to save small amounts of money , I mean I have all this work and time into the van and I was hoping for more of a return , I mean I'm giving up alot because this lifestyle creates kinda a divide from the rest of society. It would be nice to have something to show for it.

I worry a little about that. It would be hard to get back to living a regular life. No recent rental history, sporadic work record for the last few years, no possessions, little savings. I feel married to this lifestyle. However I enjoy it 95% of the time. I'll think about rejoining the rat race only if I can't physically do this anymore or an awesome opportunity comes along that I can't pass up.
Sorry that things aren't going as good for you. I can't tell you to change your mindset because each person is different from me. Many that are in houses and apartments feel the same sense of being trapped as you do. I do try to step back and look at the good and bad in my life occasionally, and see if I can improve either my circumstances or my view toward them. And there are always folks around that are worse off than me in some way, physically, financially, emotionally, etc.
Vandwelling isn't for everyone, at least long-term. You'll have to figure out if the freedom to travel and low expenses are worth the financial instability and lack of comforts. Think it thru, so you don't end up in a worse place with regrets. Good luck!

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk