How do you mount your Travel Berkey water filter?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PattySprinter

Reaction score

I have seen a few videos and seems they are always ratcheted or bunjeed in - has anyone seen anything different?

I don't recall seeing any mounting systems yet. Pass along what you find!

My first instinct is to try to secure mine in the sink somehow ... and to empty the top part into the bottom. I'd worry most about the top flying off and soaking the area. Mine keeps an inch or two permanently up top.

My Yeti one gallon jug has a nice rubber base that can be mounted to the counter or wall - I am just surprised that the Berkey does not have something similar … especially for the "Travel" Berkey.
For now I will probably do like you said and make sure the top is empty and then secure both halves to the wall with strap or bungee.
I am going to ask my son if he can 3D print or make me something like the Yeti has ...

I've always emptied it before driving and keep it bungied to the wall, one for bottom one for top.

I worry about the ceramic filters. I was thinking that when it's time to move, the filters should be supported/pproected somehow. I have lots of bubblewrap that I could stuff into the filter section...

PattySprinter said:
My Yeti one gallon jug has a nice rubber base that can be mounted to the counter or wall - I am just surprised that the Berkey does not have something similar … especially for the "Travel" Berkey.

I think when they say "Travel", they mean you can empty it and fit it inside a suitcase.

"travel" is just a designation they chose to use for the 1.5 gallon version that they say is for 1 person. They already used up a bunch of other names such as big, imperial, royal and now they also have the "go" size.

jacqueg said:
Except how to mount it in your van so that it is secure while you're driving. Especially how to keep the "candles" supported and safe.
As to securing the Berkey. You can install  webbing eye strap hardware fittings onto the wall and run straps through them to secure the Berkey against the wall.  A webbing eye strap is a version of a pad eye whose name origin is from the piece of hardware with a metal loop that a pad lock can be secured into. But a webbing eye rather than having a large round loop has a wider flat area across the top, with just enough raised area to thread webbing straps under it.  If you go to your local hardware store you can purchase those loops as well as buying the webbing by the foot and also the buckles to thread onto the webbing.  Here is a link from a great marine supply store "Fisheries Supply" to show you exactly what a webbing eye strap looks like.  https://www.fisheriessupply.com/wichard-webbing-eye-strap

The candles are supported at the base by the threaded fittings. That is sufficient to hold them in place.  Don't  travel with the Berkey filled with water, transfer the water into a storage jug.   If you are concerned about the candles getting dried out cover each of them with a small plastic bag between uses. Of course you need to remove the bag before you use the filter. If you filter water often that bag covering might be sufficient to prevent having to recharge them each time but that is going to be a trail and error process to figure out for the timing of how long they are not submerged in water you can go without needing a recharging.

PattySprinter said:

I have seen a few videos and seems they are always ratcheted or bunjeed in - has anyone seen anything different?
You probably have the answer by now :) .  But a couple command hooks on your wall above counter and bungee cord will take care of it.

I plan on taking mine with me too . It’s the large 3 gallon one . I was going to put it on the passenger seat ( made level ) and strap it in with bungee chords . That’s if I’m in my car. If I get a van I thought I could set it inside a 10 gallon bucket ... bungeed...?

Dingfelder said:
I don't recall seeing any mounting systems yet.  Pass along what you find!

My first instinct is to try to secure mine in the sink somehow ... and to empty the top part into the bottom.  I'd worry most about the top flying off and soaking the area.  Mine keeps an inch or two permanently up top.

Pouring the unfiltered water from the upper chamber directly into the lower chamber, which should only contain filtered water?

What's the logic there?

I have the 3.25 gallon Berkey. I don't fill to capacity.

I adjust how much water to pour in the upper chamber by how much water I consume between cycles. Minimizing the amount of water that I have to dump from the lower chamber into the gray waste tank each cycle. I dump the upper chamber only when there is visible particulate matter. I inspect with a bright flashlight.

Tilting the Berkey allows more water to discharge from the spigot, otherwise that is around 1/2 gallon of water wasted along with adding unnecessarily to the gray tank.

I recharge at night, and I only move during the day, when the upper chamber will have the least amount of water, which is about 1/2 gallon below the filters.

For movement, I place the Berkey into a crate on the floor, and stuff padding in the corner to protect the spigot. The crate is secured by cords.

I have the largest Berkey. I don't even try to transport it with water in it. I empty it and pack it up for travel. Highdesertranger

I have one of the smaller ones, it gets emptied and packed. I guess it has a lot to do with the roads you travel! LOL!!!

" I guess it has a lot to do with the roads you travel! LOL!!!"

exactly

Highdesertranger

Berkey1.jpg
I really wanted a Berkey filter but even though I have 12 feet of counterspace in my van I didn’t want to lose any, plus I wanted to be able to see how much water was in it. 

Solution: Bought a Berkey filter element and put it in a BPA free container (Dollar Tree!) mounted high.  A clear hose carries filtered water to 2nd container that can be stored on or under counter.  Works great; upper container detaches easily for re-filling and I can see levels of both containers. Hose stores above/behind container which cuts off drip if not emptied.  Used it all winter fulltime boondocking in AZ;  many miles of horrible washboard and bumpy roads and no mishaps.

Attachments

• Berkey1.jpg
    Berkey1.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 29
That's very nifty Starry Nights.

I have a travel size 1.6 gals. I move it to the sink and allow it to continue filtering. So far so good. I have done the washboard roads of AZ a lot too.