Experience with a Berkey Water Filter System

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spaceman Spiff

Reaction score
Are any of you that travel with or use a Berkey water filter willing to share your experience, good and bad?
I am thinking about getting the travel model as a Christmas present to me.

I use one, but don't travel with it yet. The only issue I see with using it while travelling would be spillage, so I would recommend draining it into a leak-proof container before getting on the road and then dumping the water back into it once you park.

I use the 1.5 gal stainless steel system btw. I'm going to add the extra filters once I get on the road under the theory that there may be excess mineralization in the water in various locations... Or I may just buy filtered water for drinking and use the onboard water storage tanks for bathing, washing, etc...

Currently I fill the Berkey out of the water tank in the motorhome which is filled from city water (use in-line hose filter when filling it). The water tank had an odd odor so I never drank MH tap water before, but water from the Berkey with just the black filters is fine.. no odor or anything.

Unless it wasn't clear, I really like my Berkey... :)

I have a 2.5 gallon Berkey. I place it in a crate and cushion it in the crate which is placed on the floor for movement.

No need to dump it out unless lifting it with water is an issue.

There was another thread not too far back about the various ways people secure their Berkeys.

The extra filters will increase the rate of filtration by 2X. They wouldn't do any extra filtering.

Use a Scotch-brite pad to clean the black filters after around 200 gallons, or if the filtering is taking longer. There are details on the Berkey site.

I looked at a Berkey and decided against it after watching this video. I went with the Zero Water filter pitcher

I have traveled with the Berky "travel" one. It is not for travel, not at all, other than it is smaller.
I put it in a 5 gallon bucket next to foam rubber and bungee the bucket still.
The shaking and vibration surly seem that it would tend to unscrew the filters. I use Flurde filter and it has to be screwed in exactly, no more, no less, turns exactly, so if those move then it does not work.
That said, I have had no problems with it traveling other than it is cumbersome and takes up space given the bucket situation.
A better solution, more expensive, but much more useful and travel-worthy is Lifesaver jerrycan.
It is robust, and can be pressurized so the water squirts out and can be used for a shower even. It travels better than a counter top dispenser.

I don't think I will trust Zerowater's assessment of their competition's performance. I do not doubt that they had bad things to say about everyone except their little dinky pitcher filter that probably only makes the water taste better. Look for more quality filters if you want clean water. Berky is a good reputable brand, but not the only one, Pur??? LOL, just lol.

Are any of you that travel with or use a Berkey water filter willing to share your experience, good and bad?
I am thinking about getting the travel model as a Christmas present to me.
I have used my Berkey both on and off the road.. I won't go without it.. Filters are hard to find now.. just picked up non berkey replacement filters..thru amazon the name of aqua care..came in the mail yesterday..they look identical to the berkey replacement filters but at 1 third the cost.. the black berkey filers at 150 a pair.. and the the flouride filters think between them both its 250 outa pocket.. the aqua care.. both the black and the flouride filters 89 bucks delivered.. with the way things are .. I figured getting back up is wize.. berkey filters are good for 1000 gallons.. will post once I Switch to the others.. but at that price Im thinking i may order another just to have them.

I am thinking about getting the travel model as a Christmas present to me.
Hope you got one. The Travel Berkey we bought last year as a Christmas gift to ourselves was one of the best purchases we made for our long term travels.

We traveled over 13,000 miles all over the western US, unpaved backroads included, while it was on a metal shelving unit strapped in with a bungee cord to an eye hook in the van's wall. It held up perfectly! (We do a red dye test frequently to be sure) It even survived a dramatic fall when I forgot to strap it in once before driving and it flew 4 feet onto the floor. Tough son-of-a-gun.

berkey filters are good for 1000 gallons..
https://www.usaberkeyfilters.com/products/black-berkey-elements/Their specs are for 6000 gallons for the pair of black filters.
So, if you filter 2 gallons per day (basically drinking the whole reservoir) you are good for
3000 days, or just over 8 years.

Supposedly you can reverse-flush the filters to get a little more life out of them too, but
once the activated carbon in them has been filled up changing them is the only option.

I actually just learned that as well.. currious about the reverse flush... however.. I'm pretty much stocked.. and multiple extra so I'm set til likely I KICK-THE CAN HAHAHAHA

Anyone in Fl... Im gonna sell my park model nd get out... though they now made gas 10 rather than 5.. so mileage sucks. Higher octane burning more gas.. sneaky sucker aren't they

Anyone in Fl... Im gonna sell my park model nd get out... though they now made gas 10 rather than 5.. so mileage sucks. Higher octane burning more gas.. sneaky sucker aren't they

If gas is $10/gal you better get out. Its only like $3.15 up here in NY.

Be well & best wishes.

Meant the octane...usee to be 5% now They state its up to 10%... thus as you are driving you get crappy miles from it... it's like if you refilled your coffee post and used the old grouns .hahha
uh same price here .. 3.19 credit. Pay cash 3.13.. its all a sham... if the world .. literally stopped did not buy gas for 24 hours and parked their rigs for the day.. pooof..
but tooo many people live on fear..

Meant the octane...usee to be 5% now They state its up to 10%... thus as you are driving you get crappy miles from it... it's like if you refilled your coffee post and used the old grouns .hahha
uh same price here .. 3.19 credit. Pay cash 3.13.. its all a sham... if the world .. literally stopped did not buy gas for 24 hours and parked their rigs for the day.. pooof..
but tooo many people live on fear..
Just a hint - you might get more responses if you started your own thread rather than highjack someone else’s on a completely different topic…

Interesting, but the article also states that, most municipal water is safe to drink. Well, define "safe"... If you are looking into filters then you already know tap water contains quite a bit of "stuff" other than water. That was a 2018 article. I had not heard this, so will look into it.
Don't know about "stuff" in most muni drinking water, well - except for places like Flint or places where fracking and mine tailings have contaminated groundwater. For the most part, there are stricter controls on tap than on bottled water.

That aside, I made a DIY water filter out of two cheap Walmart water containers I put together with a good quality filter. Seems to work fine and is a lot cheaper than a ready-made one.