Experience with a Berkey Water Filter System

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Newer members may not be aware of a late member, HighDesertRanger (HDR). HDR used equipment that worked, even if it wasn't the latest and greatest, such as using golf cart batteries in his last build, instead of Lithium. HDR used a Berkey system for his water needs. He would prospect for gold where he had permission, and stay quite a while, using local water sources.

I have used a Berkey for a number of years, cleaning the black filters according to the instructions, and replacing when necessary. Myself, I only use water from known clean public sources that are free.

There are many choices for water systems, I don't see why is to necessary to disparage the Berkey system specifically.

I think the important thing to note is the classification change for the filter has no effect on the water quality coming out of it which as I understand it is really very good.

Got the travel Berkey and I love it!

51217722074_a226d2350e_c.jpg

Securely mounted it next to sink. Fill it from sink faucet which is usually river/lake water in the onboard tank. Been going strong the last 12k miles. Just make sure it's mostly empty before you start driving, been there done that!
Tell me about those straps and the connecting wall hardware.

Many people from times long past used to keep silver in their water barrels. I am by no way an expert, yet I don't always believe what the so called experts say. Unfortunately there are those that base their opinions based on whoever slips them the most money under the table

Well, when it comes to living on the road the experts here are sure a great resource.
I’d trust the Berky just fine. I typically use sawyer filter products. But that’s what I invested in during my back country travels.
I wasn't refering to anyone here, but rather to our know it all elected officials, and appointees.

Well, when it comes to living on the road the experts here are sure a great resource.
I’d trust the Berky just fine. I typically use sawyer filter products. But that’s what I invested in during my back country travels.
Yup. Nomads never fall for false advertising.

I've been distilling my water for over a decade. I'm not nomadic so power isn't an issue. I think I'll check tomorrow if my power bank can run the distiller. There are instructions on how to make a homemade distiller online but it does take awhile to make a gallon of water.

Many people from times long past used to keep silver in their water barrels. I am by no way an expert, yet I don't always believe what the so called experts say. Unfortunately there are those that base their opinions based on whoever slips them the most money under the table
I thought too much silver turned you blue?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Karason

Those metal pieces on the wall that the strap is threaded through are sometimes called “ Footmans loops”. I am assuming the name came from the old horse drawn carriage area when there was a footman at the rear who was the one responsible for strapping down the luggage for safe travel on rough roads.

The best local source option to buy them is at a marine store or at a Hardware store such as Ace or a true Value. At the hardware store you need to look in aisle where there are drawers stocked with individually sold pieces of hardware instead of looking on racks with packages of stuff.

IMG_1124.jpeg