Experience with a Berkey Water Filter System

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I looked at a Berkey and decided against it after watching this video. I went with the Zero Water filter pitcher

Here's some info on the TDF meter method of testing water - from this article:
https://www.hydroviv.com/blogs/water-smarts/tds-meters-and-testers
"...a TDS/ppm meter does not give meaningful information about [toxic metals] presence or concentration in water. There are two main reasons for this:
  • A TDS/ppm meter is a nonselective measurement and cannot differentiate among different ions. A more sophisticated piece of equipment is needed to perform those types of measurements. The value of 184 that was measured using a TDS meter in a prominent Huffington Post Article was not the lead concentration… it was the water's natural TDS level (which is dominated by minerals like calcium, magnesium, and sodium).
  • A TDS tester is not sensitive enough to measure toxic levels of lead, chromium-6, or arsenic, even if they are present in a sample. This is because the reading displayed on an inexpensive TDS meter is in parts per million, while things like lead, chromium-6, and arsenic are toxic at part per billion concentrations (1000 times lower). Using a TDS meter to measure ppb lead concentrations in tap water is like trying to use a car’s odometer to measure a child's height…. It's the wrong tool. For example, the water sample shown on the right hand side of this article's header image has lead levels that are 100x the EPA limit, and the TDS reading teetered between 000 and 001.
To reiterate: Meaningful lead and arsenic measurements cannot be made using a TDS/ppm meter (or any other handheld device). They must be measured by trained staff in analytical laboratories that use much more sophisticated scientific equipment."

I use a Berkey as our local water supply has been contaminated and half of the wells in my city have been shut down. My Berkey sits next to the sink in my home and I would totally recommend it and use one on the road.

I guess you didn't watch the video I posted.

Ok so TDS is not a good measure of water quality because it only removes Millions of minerals, explain why using the same meter the Berkey did so poorly in the other tests.

Got the travel Berkey and I love it!

51217722074_a226d2350e_c.jpg

Securely mounted it next to sink. Fill it from sink faucet which is usually river/lake water in the onboard tank. Been going strong the last 12k miles. Just make sure it's mostly empty before you start driving, been there done that!

And arsenic.. I get confused reading this...but I do have both the black and arsenic filters on mine.

Just a hint - you might get more responses if you started your own thread rather than highjack someone else’s on a completely different topic…
Haha .. at the time I believe I thought I was on my own.. lots to learn about posting.. not a techi

I have used my Berkey both on and off the road.. I won't go without it.. Filters are hard to find now.. just picked up non berkey replacement filters..thru amazon the name of aqua care..came in the mail yesterday..they look identical to the berkey replacement filters but at 1 third the cost.. the black berkey filers at 150 a pair.. and the the flouride filters think between them both its 250 outa pocket.. the aqua care.. both the black and the flouride filters 89 bucks delivered.. with the way things are .. I figured getting back up is wize.. berkey filters are good for 1000 gallons.. will post once I Switch to the others.. but at that price Im thinking i may order another just to have them.

I use my Travel Berkey every day and I have 3 years on my black filters. I bought 2 extra sets of black filters when I bought the Berkey at $108.00 per set. I dump the water when traveling and so far it has traveled well with no damage.

I bought one last year for my van build. So far I have just used it in the house, so I try to keep it filled and the filters wet. Although not always successfully. The water here is from a well and tastes terrible. The filter makes it acceptable but it still needs a squeeze of lime before becoming enjoyable to drink. I've just been using the water in the 32 gallon onboard tank when in the van. I filled it last when in San Francisco which has water piped in directly from the high Sierra. No need to filter. Since I have a larger tank I need to learn how to keep it fresh, whether I need to add anything, or drain and clean periodically. Eventually I will have a shower, which should change the time it would take to empty the tank.

This is the one I bought, and I can get replacement filters at Walmart. I just put it in my sink when I travel

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003QXM3U8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When a manufacturer uses words like "Certified to reduce lead and heavy metals", I immediately want more information, like how much of a reduction is there? Technically reducing heavy metals could hypothetically be from 100 ppm to 99 ppm and still be an accurate statement. I would want to see the test results from an independent certified laboratory.

I've seen Berkeys lab results and I'm satisfied.

When a manufacturer uses words like "Certified to reduce lead and heavy metals", I immediately want more information, like how much of a reduction is there? Technically reducing heavy metals could hypothetically be from 100 ppm to 99 ppm and still be an accurate statement. I would want to see the test results from an independent certified laboratory.

I've seen Berkeys lab results and I'm satisfied.
Are those the results posted by Berkey are an Independent lab??

Try adding food color to the water and see how well it does.

I posted a video by an independent tester and Berkey was one of the worse filters he tested.

I read the article from 4perfectwater and found it interesting. However, I also noticed they had a product or service that should be considered in their motivation. For me, the jury is still out.

I also know there are many naturally occurring contaminants in our environment that humans have been successfully dealing with for millions of years. Usually, they only become hazardous in high concentrations. So, I choose not to join the conspiracy folks that seem to think there are forces contaminating our water. Remember "precious bodily fluids" in Dr. Strangelove?

What I am concerned about is the water I might get from rivers or streams. And water from city systems (like Flint) that do not meet federal requirements. Will it get me sick in the short term or give me cancer in the long term? The level of protection I want should be met by most filtration that is available to us. Such as a Berkey or my own DIY system.

I use my Travel Berkey every day and I have 3 years on my black filters. I bought 2 extra sets of black filters when I bought the Berkey at $108.00 per set. I dump the water when traveling and so far it has traveled well with no damage.
Ahhhhh I dumped and destroyed one set of filyers on the road back about 3 years ago... it was a mess... note to self... if you are gonna refill the berkey ..at least wait till the water filters before you drive...It was all secured but not to be top heavy..hahahahaaa.. yes I have several back up

I use one, but don't travel with it yet. The only issue I see with using it while travelling would be spillage, so I would recommend draining it into a leak-proof container before getting on the road and then dumping the water back into it once you park.

I use the 1.5 gal stainless steel system btw. I'm going to add the extra filters once I get on the road under the theory that there may be excess mineralization in the water in various locations... Or I may just buy filtered water for drinking and use the onboard water storage tanks for bathing, washing, etc...

Currently I fill the Berkey out of the water tank in the motorhome which is filled from city water (use in-line hose filter when filling it). The water tank had an odd odor so I never drank MH tap water before, but water from the Berkey with just the black filters is fine.. no odor or anything.

Unless it wasn't clear, I really like my Berkey... :)
I literally buckle mine in. I have the travel size. I travel alone, so my passenger seat holds my tank. I just make sure that it is less than half full incase of splashing issues. 😀

The only problems with Berkey's that I know of were some black elements with bad candle-to-stem glue connections. Some of these came apart. That problem's been resolved a long time ago; maybe a year or more now.

I have a big Berkey and also bought one several years ago for family members who use theirs every day due to well issues.More than two years now and they're still using the original pair of candles; I just clean the candle elements for them every year or so.

A couple years ago I started researching water filters after I told my plumber about my plans to travel in my TC. Told him 'everyone' was recommending Berkey, but they were expensive. He said he uses Zero Water. So I started reading up on water filters.

Sure seems like Berkey is a scam.

For the pitcher type, Consumer Reports ranks Brita number one, even though it doesn't remove lead. It beat out Zero Water (which does remove lead), mostly because of the cost of filter replacements. Some links:

https://www.consumerreports.org/wat...-and-worst-water-filter-pitchers-a3846096766/
https://www.consumerreports.org/wat...ur-water-filter-pitcher-face-off-a3252480402/
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/big-berkey-water-filter-system/

It's funny.

I did a search on Chloroform and the top return is how dangerous it is.

Followed by a bunch of returns about do it yourself manufacturing of Chloroform.

Zero water for the win!
Berkey is expensive, slow, and not nearly as efficient as the Zero.
But if it makes one feel good using a Berkey, who am I to challenge them???
I have a Berkey, but I'll be using an NSF certified filter when it's time to get replacements rather than Berkey filters.

I really like the stainless design of the housing on the Berkey.