Mexican car insurance

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I had heard two versions -- some people bought from a local agent (gas station or convenience store) and were happy with what they got, others bought online directly from the insurance co., which they thought was cheaper because the local vendors supposedly charge a big convenience fee. I ended up going with a local convenience store and it was much cheaper than I'd been getting ready to pay online -- only slightly more than what my friend paid online. I'm still scratching my head about why, but I think it might be because it's through a Mexican insurance company instead of a US one.
This worked for me because I was just getting liability coverage. A person would probably have to do more shopping around if they were getting collision and comp.

As much as I know it for any US-side company. As/more important, it's what's accepted legally.

As much as I know it for any US-side company. As/more important, it's what's accepted legally.
In the US I have insurance from a company that has been around for ever and had has a good rep... and my experience with them has also been good. I don't know anything about who is covering you in MX, but maybe you vetted them?

Not like I do on the US side. I was more concerned with being legal (and not having to ask for rides from people I'd rather not ask for favors from, how mature is that? lol) than with the actual coverage. For now, I'm only going about 10 blocks in 1x/week, so hopefully my lack of due diligence won't bite me in the @$$.

I bought Mexican ins and traveled 6 months..all ins is great till you make a claim then...I read every review on most of them and ended up with Baja bound..$189 for a full year Sonora and Baja m8nimum liability.
Put what you paid and your experience with any claims u may have had please

I bought it two days ago and haven't had any claims. (Have you, since you're asking?)
I paid just over $200 for the year. I don't think mine was limited to a specific part of Mexico -- I had an eye on that, but not a close one since I'm not currently planning on traveling outside that area.

I bought it two days ago and haven't had any claims. (Have you, since you're asking?)
I paid just over $200 for the year. I don't think mine was limited to a specific part of Mexico -- I had an eye on that, but not a close one since I'm not currently planning on traveling outside that area.
I've never had a claim thank god