RV buying assistance for Disabled Veteran?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlwaysRt

Reaction score
Does anyone know of assistance for Disabled Veterans trying to buy an RV? I think I have found one but have never bought an RV before. Just looking for help making sure it is worth buying, not asking about financial help other than maybe negotiating a better price. As I get closer to a purchase my PTSD Anxiety is making emailing the seller more and more difficult for me. Looking for assistance/advise. Thanks

Nothing and I mean nothing will sour the purchase more than finding extensive wood rot in the ceiling walls and floor. I gave up on the RV industry so I built up my own. Having said that after ten years it still isn't really done. Ive seen some awesome cargo trailer conversions on my travels.

Last edited:
AlwaysRt, you might want to post your general location just in case one of our members is in your area and might be able to help out.

Good luck.

Welcome! The more we know about you and the RV the better we can help advise you. There are plenty of experienced people here but depending on your location I would advise joining an owner’s group or an Escapee’s RV local chapter. They have some really great people and programs for beginners. Here a lot of us have less resources or prefer smaller living situations. Many have found the RV industry’s focus on profit and poor quality building practices have forced them to resort to living in something other than a manufactured RV. Some with mobility issues like cargo trailers with ramp doors and ATV access others have vans or box trucks. Still many of us get by with manufactured RVs but do a lot of our own maintenance and modifications for living full time off grid cheaply as there are lots of different people in different situations here.

Does anyone know of assistance for Disabled Veterans trying to buy an RV? I think I have found one but have never bought an RV before. Just looking for help making sure it is worth buying, not asking about financial help other than maybe negotiating a better price. As I get closer to a purchase my PTSD Anxiety is making emailing the seller more and more difficult for me. Looking for assistance/advise. Thanks
Not that it is of real help but people who are not veterans and who do not have PTSD also get anxiety when making a big purchase that leads to a big lifestyle change. Also keep in mind that after such a purchase there can also follow a period of buyer’s remorse. Of course it is not just buyers who have these feelings, sellers can also go through these same emotions. So while you are attributing the feelings to PTSD be reassured it is not just about PTSD, it is actually fairly common to have those emotions under that circumstance. Mostly you read about it for when people are buying and selling a house. But remember if the RV is going to become your home you actually are buying a new home. There are many articles on the internet about dealing with this anxiety when buying a home but do be reassured and try to remind yourself that it is not at all unusual to be experiencing such feelings even for persons who do not have PTSD. Here is a snapshot of one response on the internet from a mortgage company about this particular anxiety when buying a new home. Remember being a Home in Wheels really is a buying a new home. It does not matter if it is an RV or boat, a Condo, piece of land, a manufactured home in a trailer park or even just renting or leasing a place to live. Even changing jobs can trigger those stress feelings for a lot of humans who are normally pretty stable emotionally . Those transactions are all big life changing commitments and that is what makes the stress feelings pop up.
IMG_1522.jpeg

AlwaysRt, you might want to post your general location just in case one of our members is in your area and might be able to help out.

Good luck.
The RV I am looking at is a 2002 Winnebago Diesel Pusher in the Minneapolis/St Paul area.

Not that it is of real help but people who are not veterans and who do not have PTSD also get anxiety when making a big purchase that leads to a big lifestyle change. Also keep in mind that after such a purchase there can also follow a period of buyer’s remorse. Of course it is not just buyers who have these feelings, sellers can also go through these same emotions. So while you are attributing the feelings to PTSD be reassured it is not just about PTSD, it is actually fairly common to have those emotions under that circumstance. Mostly you read about it for when people are buying and selling a house. But remember if the RV is going to become your home you actually are buying a new home. There are many articles on the internet about dealing with this anxiety when buying a home but do be reassured and try to remind yourself that it is not at all unusual to be experiencing such feelings even for persons who do not have PTSD. Here is a snapshot of one response on the internet from a mortgage company about this particular anxiety when buying a new home. Remember being a Home in Wheels really is a buying a new home. It does not matter if it is an RV or boat, a Condo, piece of land, a manufactured home in a trailer park or even just renting or leasing a place to live. Even changing jobs can trigger those stress feelings for a lot of humans who are normally pretty stable emotionally . Those transactions are all big life changing commitments and that is what makes the stress feelings pop up.
View attachment 35352
Yes I understand the normal big purchase emotions, my issues are not about the purchase but about dealing with people, even through email.

$25,999? This one? https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2002-Winnebago-Journey+36C-5030222486

Pay for a RV inspection. $5-700 https://nrvia.org/locate/ there are several in the St Paul area. Call each one, talk to them, ask their rates, discounts, bundles with fluid tests, ask for a recc on a local diesel shop that would evaluate the drive train. go with the person that you like best.... let them know you are talking to others and will be making a decision. attitude counts... ,part of me would love to do it for a job if I were younger....

Pay for engine fluid tests. Consider an evaluation by a diesel shop.

Have a emergency fund of $10k to cover issues...

Date code on tires?

Driving a big RV is not something to be taken lightly.

Yes I understand the normal big purchase emotions, my issues are not about the purchase but about dealing with people, even through email.
I do not like doing that either. I have never found buying new or used vehicles to be any fun far as those person to person interactions go. Try to get a friend to help you if you do not feel comfortable with the process. I have certainly done that asking a friend to go along with me. There have also been times I went along with a friend who asked me to help them when making a vehicle purchase. Most of us need or just want a support buddy by our sides now and again.

But if you want local, in person, help and there is a VFW in your area contact that group. They are a service oriented support group and there are very likely to be some members who are experienced RV owners. Of course they will also be familiar with persons who have PTSD. That will be a safe and welcoming group to approach.

Last edited: