How do You Guys Deal With Mechanical Problems

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you can find/afford it, get a MOTOR'S shop repair manual. They're not the easiest to find, but I've seen a few on Amazon. Wayyyyyy better than those crap Haynes manuals. THIS for example..Willy.

Willy said:
If you can find/afford it, get a MOTOR'S shop repair manual. They're not the easiest to find, but I've seen a few on Amazon. Wayyyyyy better than those crap Haynes manuals. THIS for example..Willy.

Willy; You call an item crap, but do not explain why you THINK it is.  Care to elaborate your opinion?  

I have managed to rebuild many things from Chiltons and Haynes.

I always had a nice thick piece of cardboard for roadside repairs in gravel. These days I am wrenching less and rely a lot more on those many years of wrenching pulling motors and diagnostic experiences. I feel for those in the dark. Still will not travel without my skeleton tool chest if I don't use em all the better.

You guys are really great. It is so nice of you to take the time to make helpful comments. I feel very supported!

I am a negative thinker. I try not to be. But it's something I haven't been able to overcome.

None of you answered my specific questions in any detail. (stranded alone way down a dirt road, or needing to replace a vehicle). I don't know if that's because those worst case scenarios almost never happen or because no one wants to talk about those disasters.

But thanks so much for all your other suggestions.

I believe only you can answer your specific question. Everyone has a different skill level. Expect the worst and it will never happen. Be prepared for anything including the worst I even think about having to bail out sell for parts surviving can be an exciting and learning adventure. It's never over until it's over and you will know when or if that happens.

myway, let me try again. if you are thinking of boondocking in remote areas(way down a dirt road). it might be a good idea for you to caravan with someone with experience with back country travel. 2 vehicles are much safer in your circumstance. that way you are really never "stranded". I myself like to travel to real remote locations with two least 2 vehicles. I also don't mind taking newbies out.

as far as "needing to replace a vehicle". about all I can tell you is to have an emergency fund. highdesertranger

You could still live out of your current van while shopping for a new van if it came to that.  As HDR said, the all important emergency fund would come into play.  Make sure you have the title to your vehicle with you at all times.

If worse came to worse and you are stranded in the out back, you could always hike out for help or at least into cell phone coverage.  Again, that emergency fund to get you towed out if need be.  If you are stuck in mud, wait for it to dry out enough.  You do carry extra supplies don't you?

Just rambling thoughts.

myway_1 said:
None of you answered my specific questions in any detail. (stranded alone way down a dirt road, or needing to replace a vehicle). I don't know if that's because those worst case scenarios almost never happen or because no one wants to talk about those disasters.

We are taking the approach of "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" approach.

I was getting firewood in a pickup. I was on my second load, so it was getting late. As I was driving out, I got a flat tire. (My tires were kind of crummy.) I was fairly tired after 10 hours of driving and getting firewood, but no biggie. Put the spare on, drove a quarter of a mile and got another flat. Ok, it started sucking now because it was dark. Crescent moon type of dark. No flashlight, which was amazingly stupid, but oh, well. I was about 7 miles away from the nearest house and about 3 miles down the mountain as the crow flies. Going straight downhill would've been much faster, but I couldn't see and didn't want a branch stabbing my tender self, so I chose the road.

I could barely see the road it was so dark. After a bit I heard branches breaking near me. Something was following. I didn't have a dog at the time, so I was truly alone. Instead of freaking out, I just walked confidently. I wasn't some weak child, I was a grown person and walked as such. Eventually, whatever was curious about me left. Wasn't scared at all. Wish I had a flashlight! I was affected more by my intense curiosity than any sense of fear or confusion. Eventually, made it into town, called my folks, got a ride home, and promptly went to bed!

I knew where I was, what my limitations were, and knew I still had options. Instead of being upset at my poor choices of being ill-prepared and how the world was being unfair, I simply took care of business. What should you do in a situation where you are stuck in the middle of nowhere or need a new vehicle? There are way too many variables to give you a specific answer. You just do what needs to be done.

What I can tell you is two things that have helped me: 1) Be prepared. Have whatever tools you think may help you. Communication is hugely important no matter what skills you have, so that should be higher on your list. Have warm clothes, perhaps a compass, etc. 2) Have a good attitude. During my walk, whatever was following was unlikely to be serious threat, so I didn't get all freaked out about it. I didn't watch TV a lot and didn't develop an unnatural fear of wild animals. I literally grew up around them and knew how they generally behaved. I didn't get upset at having two flat tires. The only negative thing that happened to me was I was tired for staying up late. Could've been much worse. I could've gotten upset or more frustrated to the point of anger. I could've let myself be consumed by fear. I lived and have a cool story to tell except for the ignorant not-being-prepared parts. lol. Later that week, I bought new tires and a flashlight. While I like to tell a cool story, I prefer to avoid situations that create those cool stories.

While breaking down in the middle of nowhere can be a bummer, it seldom happens. When it does, it usually isn't a big deal unless you do something dumb like going camping with a Winter Storm Warning coming in the next 24 hours without any way of staying warm and without notifying anyone where you are staying.

Being without a vehicle can be a hardship. The best thing to do is save money for the next one so when it comes time to replace it, you can. If you can't or don't save money, then get a loan if you can. If you can't get a loan, then do the best you can like ask questions on a reputable forum. It really is as simple as that. Take it one day at a time and sometimes one minute at a time. No matter what happens, you still have the ability to have a good attitude and to make better choices next time.
:)

highdesertranger said:
2 vehicles are much safer in your circumstance.  that way you are really never "stranded".

That second vehicle can be a towed or toad. Not sure how to spell it. Towing a second vehicle behind the first. I can tell you first hand that having two vehicles is awesome, but it is expensive. You have more money tied up in another vehicle. More insurance, more registration, more maintenance, more break downs. It's kind of a wash for me whether to have two vehicles or not. I decided on having one. That second vehicle can be a four wheeler, a motorcycle, or even a bicycle.

Using the buddy system can bring another vehicle into the picture, but buddy up with someone who knows what they are doing. When I was young and didn't care about being stuck, I drove wherever without a care. Now getting stuck is no fun because I'm old and boring. Some of the people who want to go to out-of-the-way places tend to push the boundaries like trying to fjord the deep part of creeks instead of taking the easy way. Then some of them are ill prepared or drive poorly. It's no fun to keep getting your friends unstuck when, had they made slightly better choices, wouldn't have been stuck in the first place.

I tend to go it alone with one vehicle. Overall easier that way.

How do **I** deal with mechanical problems?  Alcohol.  And cursing.  Lots and lots of cursing . . .

Then I pay someone else to fix it.

Regards
John

Here's what I have gotten out of this:

Have a good roadside assistance plan

Have major repairs done to an old vehicle rather then replacing it.

Keep up with maintenance and pay attention to warning signs of mechanical trouble.

Learn to work on your vehicle (I don't want to do this)

If you're not able or willing to work on your own vehicle and you're a loner, don't stray from good roads and a cell signal unless you have a secondary vehicle or are willing to hitch a ride and are prepared to  pay a big tow bill. Also, have a large emergency fund and reconcile yourself to the fact that you will spend substantial money on repairs unless you buy a newer vehicle with an extended warranty.

" Learn to work on your vehicle (I don't want to do this)"

My suggestion may not help you then...but may benefit others.

If you are able enroll in a basic automotive course at a CC to learn basic repairs.

This may not help with major but with a few spare parts and a few basic hand tool stated in other threads it may get you to a garage.

If it's sub-critical I try to scrape the money together and if don't have money, I continue operating the van until it becomes critical. If one can't afford to be proactive how can one afford to be reactive?????? I do NOT have mechanic friends (not a user here), no mechanically inclined family within 100 miles of me, and I DO NOT HAVE THE LUXURY TO JUST PUT THE SHOP BILL ON A CREDIT CARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then on top of this, parent's saying this van is "an old junk" when with 1 grand and the right (what I can afford to pay) helpers, all the loose ends on the drivetrain can be tied and the van rises 2k in KELLY BLUE BOOK value!

Many jobs are take apart, replace/align worn components, and put back together again. These jobs have specific procedures/ways to for the 2nd and 3rd stage. Working WITH somebody experienced, tackling the most neglected (and most common problem sources) systems first will go much much farther than any $100+ shop work I've had ever!!!!

If anybody has worked on the drivetrain on 1986 or near year DODGE VANS can work WITH me for minimum wage, in San Jose, CA please PM me. I expect you to be upfront on your abilities, for example if you are beginner with suspension be upfront with me about it!!!!

My username is latin for "Debt Slave". Most areas of my life it's all about the money, namely not having it. (And YES, I AM willing to work for it!).

I can bet you if I had money for doing proper maintence on the van, I damm would be; and this post wouldn't exist in this dimensions.

That is how I deal with mechanical problems!

There is a possibility you could get into a caravan with other vandwellers (some of which might have more mechanic savvy ? )
which would also help with any other problems that may occur .
You could find these at RTR or maybe just posting here ?!?!?!

Having one of those MOTOR manuals, despite the initial expense, is a good investment. They have step by step instructions and are generally FAR more comprehensive re. mechanical repair than the cheap Haynes garbage found at auto parts stores. ..Willy.

Willy said:
Having one of those MOTOR manuals, despite the initial expense, is a good investment. They have step by step instructions and are generally FAR more comprehensive re. mechanical repair than the cheap Haynes garbage found at auto parts stores. ..Willy.

I have had excellent service with Haynes and Chiltons.

Most people get lost with Motor, as it is geared to professional mechanics.

i like haynes,more pictures and they are cheap

My wife and I frequent used and discount bookstores in our travels. Chiton manuals are stacked up like cordwood at most of these places, especially for "vintage" year vehicles. Plentiful and cheap; can't be beat!

Happy New Year to all; and may all your expectations be realized in 2016!

I look at the pictures, and take it from there.   :p