The BLM’s “ Blueprint for 21st Century Outdoor Recreation ”

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wo AC do I feel fortunate that never once in the last 4 years have I ever run into a Ninja force type of Natikn AC l Forest Ranger or BLM ranger. Every contact I have had they have been impeccable in following the non confrontational behavior scripts that their training drilled into them.
I have no doubt they are also well trained in dealing with some of the very aggressive types of antisocial characters out camping on Federal landscape

Rangers getting terrorist training. Who knows it might come in useful. There are eco terrorist around.

Dear Maki:
Please don't take this as a criticism...it's not meant to be...but the term "eco-terrorist" has rankled me for a lot of years, since I first heard the term used when Weyerhauser (if I recall right) had their PR people refer to people who protested logging by climbing trees and lashing themselves to them by that title. Demonizing a protester as a "terrorist" really grinds my gut. A Terrorist is one who is willing (and sadly, bent on) killing the innocent indiscriminately to try to spread panic, and I can't think of any instance of eco-terrorism ever. Maybe some on the forum can. Even when logging trucks got burned by the most radical they were careful NOT to do bodily harm to anyone. I don't defend them, but they were simply Vandals, not Terrorists. Yeah, there are nutcakes galore out there, but could we all dial back on inflating the terms? Thanks for reading. rpmh.

Dear Maki:
Please don't take this as a criticism...it's not meant to be...but the term "eco-terrorist" has rankled me for a lot of years, since I first heard the term used when Weyerhauser (if I recall right) had their PR people refer to people who protested logging by climbing trees and lashing themselves to them by that title. Demonizing a protester as a "terrorist" really grinds my gut. A Terrorist is one who is willing (and sadly, bent on) killing the innocent indiscriminately to try to spread panic, and I can't think of any instance of eco-terrorism ever. Maybe some on the forum can. Even when logging trucks got burned by the most radical they were careful NOT to do bodily harm to anyone. I don't defend them, but they were simply Vandals, not Terrorists. Yeah, there are nutcakes galore out there, but could we all dial back on inflating the terms? Thanks for reading. rpmh.
lol!!! Union coal miners on strike come closer to the term and government with soldiers and company security have killed. I guess we could classify them as terrorisrs!

If all they seem to want out there on the BLM is big "expensive" Class A's, I would be willing to bet that the RV industry is behind that with generous contributions to those who administrate over those areas. Even land developers and "Tower Builders" who leverage their wealth & position. At a hefty annual fee that would empty the areas, they may even advance the rationalization that, "no one is using those area anymore". (and then exploit the opportunities they can make for themselves) Then when all the Nomads start showing up in Cities the people there will begin to wonder.....why ? Could it have been the people they voted into office ?????

lol!!! Union coal miners on strike come closer to the term and government with soldiers and company security have killed. I guess we could classify them as terrorisrs!
I don't think a labor dispute/war would fall into the same category as what "eco-" suggests. Again--not supporting murder on either side--if you look at history, the Pinkertons and Guardsmen and Soldiers called in by the mine owners thru their political connection probably killed a helluva lot more miners than miners did them.

I suppose it is understandable that newer motorhomes are considered self contained and less likely to leave a mess behind and are even worse… less likely to be abandoned.

Getting abandoned vehicles removed involves both a lot of paperwork and towing expenses.

Keep your campsite clean and tidy!

Dear Maki:
Please don't take this as a criticism...it's not meant to be...but the term "eco-terrorist" has rankled me for a lot of years, since I first heard the term used when Weyerhauser (if I recall right) had their PR people refer to people who protested logging by climbing trees and lashing themselves to them by that title. Demonizing a protester as a "terrorist" really grinds my gut. A Terrorist is one who is willing (and sadly, bent on) killing the innocent indiscriminately to try to spread panic, and I can't think of any instance of eco-terrorism ever.
They have most certainly been known to destroy equipment and other types of property that cost many thousands of dollars. The threat of loss of property is a form of terrorism. Not as “harmless” as you are implying them to be, they do not all confine themselves to chaining up around trees or waving signs. Some persons do that type of protesting but there are also extremists who might not murder but willingly do a lot of property damage. That is why the term “eco terrorist” exists. Otherwise they would be called “ego protestors”. Some are one thing others are another. The media and law enforcement pretty much lumps them together with the same designation because of the potential for violence to personal property and other persons in confrontational conditions.

But I have so far not I have not personally seen any such protest activities while camping. But there have been plenty of recent articles about trespassing on private lands to reach public lands. Mostly those articles have been about situations further north in the western states up in the ranch lands. Essentially public lands “land locked” within boundaries of private lands. It has been many years since I did environmental protesting. But back in the 1970s I did attend a rally protest about the above ground nuclear bomb testing. So I guess that makes me an “eco protestor”.

Last edited:
If you are stupid enough to buy land locked land you deserve what you get. The crazy lieing spotted owl fiasco put many families out of work & lumber buyers had to go to canada. They found spotted owls living in NON OLD GROTH FOREST but the protesters/terrorist claimed no real spotted owl would live in anything BUT old growth timber. What a crock of SH*T it's a fricking bird looking to make a nest. I'm an environmentalist but a common sense one that believes in selective timber harvesting.