So how do you do it?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanbrat

Reaction score
I don't live in my van. So often wish I did but not this time of year. My kitchen is in full gear for cooking goodies for gifts and cooking tons of food for parties and "The one big dinner and breakfast". I am curiuse how do you all deal with this issue. I love to cook as everyone around me knows. So I was wondering how and what do you all do?

Not any type of judgement, not everyone goes as nuts as me don't expect it from anyone just 'cause I like to. Oh yea I am just getting started and am on my 6th batch of cookies and just getting started on the soups to freeze......

Recipes for two people. Recipes that rely heavily on canned and/or dried food and simplified prep. I chose to not get a freezer, didn't want to spare the space, so I have a 35-qt refrigerator = limited space for fresh veggies. Works for me.

I hire elves to do all the cooking for me. I built them a 1:12 scale kitchen room just for that purpose. Merry Christmas to you all. 🎁
77AE43F5-0023-4D4D-9E71-E5A45E2A4663.jpeg

I am curiuse how do you all deal with this issue. I love to cook as everyone around me knows. So I was wondering how and what do you all do?

my 6th batch of cookies and just getting started on the soups to freeze......
Wowza. we don't do much ever. just a good meal. might eat out at restaurant too and have them do the work :) for us we are the type that don't focus on the food kinda....more exact, I hate the kitchen. Never a chef type :) So any avoidance is key for me and family has learned to live with that and they agree with it so, lol.

on your 6th batch of cookies...that is alot! and soups to freeze and not even to the main courses yet? wow you must truly enjoy the kitchen and baking!! I think tho with inflation as it has become your meal prices might give you some sticker shock maybe? But enjoy your holiday feasts and enjoy your therapuetic fun time in the kitchen Chef Vanbrat!

Wowza. we don't do much ever. just a good meal. might eat out at restaurant too and have them do the work :) for us we are the type that don't focus on the food kinda....more exact, I hate the kitchen. Never a chef type :) So any avoidance is key for me and family has learned to live with that and they agree with it so, lol.

on your 6th batch of cookies...that is alot! and soups to freeze and not even to the main courses yet? wow you must truly enjoy the kitchen and baking!! I think tho with inflation as it has become your meal prices might give you some sticker shock maybe? But enjoy your holiday feasts and enjoy your therapuetic fun time in the kitchen Chef Vanbrat!
I shop the sales and know how to stay cheap. The frozen soups are part of the kidos gifts. One really likes homemade split pea and the other like beef veggy and since they both like chicken noodle......
They want white bean but to do that right it takes an expensive bit of ham so that won't happen this year.

And your right there is just, for me, something that feels good (therapeutic) about making good semi healthy stuff for my family. And it feels good (therapeutic) to take raw materials and make something so good.

I don't do a lot of baking/cooking when I travel. I would say that 90% of my meals are dry stock and canned food. Everything I cook is for the meal I am eating right now. I don't make enough to store for a couple meals due to my limited cold storage. I will hit a grocery store once in a while and pick up a steak or other meat to cook, but just enough for the meal.

Vanbrat: Here's an idea...

Hit the road in your van, pulling a smaller "kitchen trailer", and sell meals to people in the campgrounds.
I have a good 'kitchen' in my van. It is great for just the 2 of us. But there is no way I could do a regular holiday 'cook'. I still have my stick and brick home. We got a reverse mortgage so we can stay here until we don't want to. It has my best ever kitchen in it and I ain't giving it up just yet. I just wondered how you folks deal with holiday meals on the road.

My van kitchen can bake 3-4 muffins at a time in my air fryer, and I can crock pot a soup for 2 in my tiny crock pot. and I have 1 burner induction cooker, and a small, really small, BBQ, and lots of fire tools, and a small microwave. I have a freezer and a small ice chest and a blender and and and and .... Not much I can't do in the van. Just not much at once. Like I do here at home.

I don't have a license to sell food, though I do have a food handler card, but that's not the same. I'm sure not a chef, not even close. So I don't think I would have much of a line for my 'mom' foods. I just like to cook. (and eat).

I go with a Less is More approach to holiday meals in the van. I make just one thing I would only ever make on a holiday: a really good cranberry sauce. It’s festive, simple, easy on resources of fuel, water, and space., and it makes enough to share. That ticks all of my holiday boxes, though I can see how it might not satisfy a true Christmas elf,

Less is More approach to holiday meals in the van. I make just one thing I would only ever make on a holiday: a really good cranberry sauce. It’s festive, simple, easy on resources of fuel, water, and space.,
I love this. one thing super special and a focus vs. the 'entire' crazy. Good post!

I shop the sales and know how to stay cheap.

Me too ! :)

When I'm on the road in my Rig, I tend to hit the sack early and get up early. This is when many of the grocery stores are putting the marked down items on the shelves in the bakery, deli, dairy, and meat dept. Getting in the store when it opens is loaded with opportunity.

Also, unless I'm in camp for a few days, I try not to spend too much time cooking while traveling. It is better to eat at places where there is value & good nutrition for money. Often I find that at large Hospital Cafeterias. Small Hospital Cafeterias are often offering heat & eat cuisine from "Institutional" suppliers like Sara Lee and others and the price to non employees is way too much. I can find deals on chicken, fish, or beef sandwiches for protein, salads and slice up an avocodo, cucumber, carrots, with some grapes & cheese. Traveling food like you'd tailgate with.

In camp I'm cooking for myself so I try to cook once such that I have all day leftovers. Breakfast being the main meal of the day. (most important meal) But stocking up on the marked down items at the grocery store can provide for more than a few days in camp. Also the Dollar stores like Dollar Tree offer a lot of decent foods that can be dressed up with other things to be tasty & satisfying.

In the end it's a method of thinking like most Nomad-Life activities.

Vanbrat: Here's an idea...

Hit the road in your van, pulling a smaller "kitchen trailer", and sell meals to people in the campgrounds.
Check with the health department before you do that, it might save you money or fine. Be sure you check to see if a license is required

Check with the health department before you do that, it might save you money or fine. Be sure you check to see if a license is required
yep, besides I ain't that good of a cook... and not that many folks want me the MOM telling them to eat their veggies before dessert.

We usually make a full Thanksgiving meal - turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce, vegetable, pie, and whipped cream. We live in a small class C so we have a little more room than people in vans and cars so we can be more elaborate. The turkey is either just the breast or de-boned thighs cooked in an Ovenette along with the stuffing. The mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce are made from scratch but the gravy, pie, and whipped cream are store bought. This is shared with friends if they're nearby. Christmas dinner is hit or miss - sometimes out in the desert with friends contributing to the meal, sometimes at a relative's houses, sometimes on our own which could be a full holiday dinner or just whatever we're in the mood to eat.

Christmas is easy, I go Southwest motif and serve a Mexican food menu featuring Mole sauce!

Christmas dinner does not have to be a New England traditional dinner of Turkey or Ham, Oyster Soup, etc. lots of cultures celebrate Christmas. England, Italy, France, Spain, Greece, Germany, the Scandinavia countries, etc all have their versions of what they serve on Christmas Day. Have some culinary fun this year.

... and not that many folks want me the MOM telling them to eat their veggies before dessert.
Well, to 'ell with that noise! Veggies before dessert..... what idget came up with a stupid idea like THAT?!😲

I go with a Less is More approach to holiday meals in the van. I make just one thing I would only ever make on a holiday: a really good cranberry sauce. It’s festive, simple, easy on resources of fuel, water, and space.,
I love to make homemade cranberry sauce! My other anytime Thanksgiving hack for one or two people, get a box of your favorite stuffing mix, when you get your water or broth ready, add a can of chicken before you add in stuffing mix You can buy a jar of gravy and make or buy the cranberries sauce. It’ll do in a pinch!