How do u decide where to live?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phoenix900

Reaction score
I don't know. Usually one has a job or a home already, I have neither so don't know how to decide. I have to pick an address. I'm getting some health care in 1 county, but there will be more jobs in LA county. Warmer in LA county. The pool i shower at & 24 hour grocery are there. (I wake up every 3 hours or so & have to pee).

As usual these days I don't know what to do.

I am not sure what you are asking... you need to work and want to live/work in the city or don't need to work and want places to boondock out of the city... be specific and I am sure we can help you...<br><br>PS Peeing is a gimme, how you go about it is the key...<br>

get you a notebook. start&nbsp;journaling. just write whatever flows out your pen. no rhyme or reason. write in it every day for a few days.&nbsp;<div><br></div><div>now wait 24 hrs, and read back through it. you will be amazed. the answers will come.&nbsp;</div>

Sorry yes need to find a job and get food stamps & unemployment forms in mail.

I recently, 2 months now, lost my job & could end up homeless b4 I get another so am getting a van.

Hopefully will have a good van within 4 days but am now in a car. I'm a woman so have to find a store or something to pee at.

I'm trying to write things down on the paper I have. So much to do so little time.
Not thinking well due to lack of sleep, lack of experience & lack of common sense (different kind of intelligence maybe).

Thx again.

<p>Hang in there Phoenix...You're in new territory and it can be scary.&nbsp; You will adjust.&nbsp; It takes time and is currently uncomfortable.&nbsp; Be safe.&nbsp; Keep posting and let us know your journey.&nbsp; You have friends here.&nbsp; Rae</p>

Thanks so much for your supportive words. I feel better tonight. Some thingsmight work out.

With the cost of gas skyrocketing, I would base the decision on being central to your circle of travel so you drive the minimum amount. Preferably, even in walking, or bike riding distance. So plan your week, where do you have to go every day, where do you have to go twice a week, and once a week, once a month. Get a map out and map the route you will be traveling. Decide on where to stay based on minimizing driving. <br><br>You will probably want to get a gym membership and go there every day to shower. So look for one close to the center of travel. Maybe you can find one that is open 24 hours and sleep in their lot.<br><br>There are ways a woman can pee her van. The first is a woman's urinal. They are a funnel that is designed to fit a woman so you direct the urine into a larger container. A yellow quart water bottle works great, because you can carry it into a stores bathroom to empty it and rinse it out in the toilet and no one knows what you are doing. Do a google search on womans urinal. Amazon sells quite a few different ones.<br><br>&nbsp;If you get the right container, you won't need the funnel. I know a woman who uses a 2 1/2 gallon ice cream bucket to pee in. All you need is for it to have a very wide mouth and a lid.&nbsp; A large coffee can should work also. You will soon learn how to discreetly dump it.&nbsp; You will also want a 5 gallon bucket for emergency poops. generally you will use public restrooms, but sometimes you just can't wait, so best be ready for those times.<br><br>Once you decide where you are going to spend the most of your time, get a box at the UPS Store. it will be your mailing address. The reason you want them instead of USPS is because they will recieve UPS and FedEx but the Post Office won't. When I moved into my van, I just kept using my old address as my residence address. No one will know or care that you use it since all your mail will go the UPS Store.&nbsp; <br>Bob<br><br>

With the cost of gas skyrocketing, I would base the decision on being central to your circle of travel so you drive the minimum amount. Preferably, even in walking, or bike riding distance. So plan your week, where do you have to go every day, where do you have to go twice a week, and once a week, once a month. Get a map out and map the route you will be traveling. Decide on where to stay based on minimizing driving. <br><br>You will probably want to get a gym membership and go there every day to shower. So look for one close to the center of travel. Maybe you can find one that is open 24 hours and sleep in their lot.<br><br>There are ways a woman can pee her van. The first is a woman's urinal. They are a funnel that is designed to fit a woman so you direct the urine into a larger container. A yellow quart water bottle works great, because you can carry it into a stores bathroom to empty it and rinse it out in the toilet and no one knows what you are doing. Do a google search on womans urinal. Amazon sells quite a few different ones.<br><br>&nbsp;If you get the right container, you won't need the funnel. I know a woman who uses a 2 1/2 gallon ice cream bucket to pee in. All you need is for it to have a very wide mouth and a lid.&nbsp; A large coffee can should work also. You will soon learn how to discreetly dump it.&nbsp; You will also want a 5 gallon bucket for emergency poops. generally you will use public restrooms, but sometimes you just can't wait, so best be ready for those times.<br><br>Once you decide where you are going to spend the most of your time, get a box at the UPS Store. it will be your mailing address. The reason you want them instead of USPS is because they will recieve UPS and FedEx but the Post Office won't. When I moved into my van, I just kept using my old address as my residence address. No one will know or care that you use it since all your mail will go the UPS Store.&nbsp; <br>Bob<br><br>

&nbsp;The world is my toilet. ..Hmm, that's not right.. I got it: The world is my oyster (even though they are nasty things). I live in my vehicle and it just happens to be wherever I end up.. till I pull up stakes.<br>

hmm.. maybe I should try that &lt;grin&gt;&nbsp; I'm often up in the air with what comes next<br><br>
Aunt Meg said:
get you a notebook. start&nbsp;journaling. just write whatever flows out your pen. no rhyme or reason. write in it every day for a few days.&nbsp;<div><br></div><div>now wait 24 hrs, and read back through it. you will be amazed. the answers will come.&nbsp;</div>

<p>I too am a Snowbird.&nbsp; With the economy in the waist can I would think more people would become Snowbirds too.&nbsp; But perhaps the high cost of fuel to travel is keeping them home.&nbsp; Quartzsite Arizona used to be all abuzz and would get bigger every year, not anymore.&nbsp; Did a secret agenda from the Black Part of the federal gov't order the fuel price increase to keep us home?&nbsp; Are Snowbirds next on the extinction list?&nbsp; The Los Angeles basin&nbsp;sounds like a very good place to&nbsp; find a job.&nbsp; It's just the pits to live in, but you can do it for a short time.&nbsp; I did it years ago and my theme song in those days was "We got ta get out ah this place, if it's the last thing we ever do".&nbsp; Some old timers might remember that popular song on the Hit Parade back in the psychedelic 60's.&nbsp; So hang in there it won't be forever.&nbsp; </p>

Latest posts