Hot logic mini

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XERTYX

Reaction score
Does anyone have real world experience with this doohickey? 

Their site says that the AC version uses 45 watts. So that's 3.75 Amps draw from the battery bank. Not that bad honestly if I can use it much as I do my home convection toaster oven. (I use it mostly to slow roast meats)

So giving room for inverter inefficiency around 4 amps per hour of usage sounds great but in real life practice how long does it take to cook food? One of my go to meals I like to make is when I find a chuck steak or some other tough cut of beef on mark down I'll wrap it in foil with 2 halves of white or yellow onion on top and slow roast at 200-250° for 3-4 hours or until its fall apart tender. 

A toaster oven would use 3-4k watts for that (just an estimate as I dont have a killawatt meter) that's obviously not happening in a vehicle. So what could I expect from a hotlogic? 5hrs? 8? I saw they have a recipe on YouTube for pot roast using cubed beef, potatoes,  frozen peas, and brown gravy. That takes 2 hours. But it doesnt look as tender as I like.

So anyone have one? How long would it take to make beef tender using one?

Bonus points: I havent found any specs on the 12v version. How many amps does it draw? The same? Less? If it's the same draw it seems like a no brainer as that way I wouldnt need an inverter and waste energy on heat loss inefficiency etc.

I didn't see an energy source in your post. That doesn't mean it wasn't there, just that I didn't see it!

What I do since I have solar is to do any major electric cooking tasks during peak solar hours. At that point my batteries are in float, so most of the energy from the panels is going to go straight into the load. I use the slow cooker this way. Start my pot up around 11 am and let it cook till maybe 4, depending on what's in it.

The Dire Wolfess

Look in the reviews section here on this forum, where there's a topic on it specifically. It also pops up in other threads there that you can find with the search engine, as well as similar alternatives.

I have the big one and the small one. I like them both. They are supposed to stop heating at 165, according to promo materials, but I was cooking chicken once and when I checked the temperature, it was at 185. Way too high. My bigger concern, though, was that if the thermostat was that far off, would it have gone even higher if I had left it alone?

I have cooked pasta in them, and chicken. It takes experimentation, but my pasta cooked in the small HotLogic was just a bit overcooked at around 8 hours, and my chicken in the large one was a bit dry but not too bad at around 8 hours. I used both as I slept.

I'd put them on a wooden cutting board or other surface. Mine didn't get too hot outside, but considering that the cooker got 20 degrees hotter than it was supposed to, I would just err on the side of caution -- especially if you have the sort of cheap counter tops or tables that you usually have with RV's/trailers.

Awesome thanks. I looked at it just now. 

I would still like to know if anyone has had success making beef fall apart tender with one and how long it took.

Also if anyone knows the amps for the 12v version.

:)

You can do it on a grill too! Temperature Control is the key!!!!!! I dream of living in such close proximity to a grill! I can't wait to get on the road and that could be in the top 3 reasons to go. I have a little Smokey Joe Weber Grill that will make the best food you've ever had in your life and no DISH's. It's such a great hobby also!! Smoked meat is the best tasting meat.... The trick is baby sitting it and keeping your temperatures in check! Do that by controlling the air (FUEL) to your grill and get a $15.00 thermometer to put in your meat. Pretty soon you'll be the most popular camper in the neighborhood!!! There are websites with a wealth of information on the subject.

Moderators, this might be a great thread all by itself! Thanks
This is all a new game to me.

Amazon has started to curate out negative reviews. Pretty hard even.

I posted one it took me a half hour to find.

I own both versions, and like them very much. But I use mine to heat cans and ramen, mostly. I've never tried to cook any other kind of noodles in one, and last cooked meat in... Maybe it was about 2014? I've never measured the power draw of either the AC or DC version, except to note that it seems trivial on a larger than average solar system. Nor have I ever measured the cooking temperature. All I can say is that everything I ever made came out satisfactory and edible, and that my 110 Logic is probably among the earlier ones produced-- I bought it pretty early on-- and is holding up well except for the cover (blue) fading quite a bit. (This may have something to do with a nasty BBQ sauce overflow and my efforts to clean it up.) I very much appreciate being able to throw in a can of something I plan to eat later in the day, and having it warm and ready whenever I am.
In other words I'm a terrible cook and haven't ever had to deal with extremely limited power. (I've been out on the road a lot less than planned, and when I have been out I've always had plenty of solar.) So I'm not the best one to ask. But I do own both models though, and have had one of them for a relatively long time. I keep the 12-volt Logic sitting right next to my home-base solar batteries, where there's a 12-volt socket ready and waiting for it, and use it fairly regularly. I last made ramen with it about four days back.
So... I like and recommend them both. Sorry I couldn't give the detailed answers you seek.