Hot Logic... thoughts for use in my Prius camper?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcblue_

Reaction score
So I am starting to outfit my (new to me) Prius Camper. I'm struggling with a safe option for cooking inside in poor weather. I'm considering using oven safe silicone bags & collapsible containers to cook/eat in. Does anyone have experience/opinion on the Hot Logic line of low watt ovens? Thank you in advance ❤️

1. View attachment 28645 Idon’t have any experience with hot logic. But I have a good deal of experiencing of cooking in a van when the weather is too bad to cook outside. I don’t really have a kitchen in the van so I sort of improvise. Cooking in the van is only on rare occasions. I really prefer the campfire or at least a camp stove out on the picnic table. I used too lay a Masonite board on top of my refrigerator and put my Butane stove on that to cook.  I have 38 inches of clearance so I thought it was safe. That was not safe enough and that’s why I’m sharing this with you. I didn’t even notice how much heat was going up when I was cooking. Until one day, weeks after the last time I cooked in the van, I happened to notice that the smoke detector was melted. There was no smoke but lots of heat. I’m Attaching a picture of the result. Also notice that my paper towel holder is next to the smoke detector. I came very close to us a disaster without knowing it. Everybody be careful cooking in your rig. I thought I have More than a decade of experience a part-time in in a van and occasionally cook in it. Now I’ve been full-time for a year, you would think I was smarter than this. Check and double check how you do things it could be dangerous.

I’m having trouble again putting up a picture. I’m going to see if I can edit it to reduce the size and see if that helps. But the post I put up a few minutes ago really needs the picture to illustrate the point of how dangerous cooking in a van can be.  I almost lost it all, and didn’t know it till weeks later.

837ABE9D-8945-4289-98AF-D553C45B7117.jpegI’m sorry I’m such a dummy when it comes to some of these technology things I think I’ve got it worked out now I had to load a new app on my iPad to actually downsize the picture forgive me for taking up so much of this thread. But here’s my picture to remind you of being safe when you’re cooking in any vehicle.  Now go back and read the first post I put on here while looking at this picture.

Attachments

• 837ABE9D-8945-4289-98AF-D553C45B7117.jpeg
    837ABE9D-8945-4289-98AF-D553C45B7117.jpeg
    101.1 KB · Views: 48
I use a Hot Logic Mini to heat up things like Lean Cuisine dinners. It is so easy. Just put the entire unopened box inside, plug it into 12v and while you drive, the dinner heats up. It takes 3 or 4 hours. Very slow heating!

It fulfills my desire to have at least one hot meal each day. I like putting the Hot Logic Mini inside a big towel or blanket to keep more heat in... maybe cook a little faster.

My original Hot Logic Mini burned in the forest fire last September 8 and it is one thing I liked so much I immediately bought another.

nature lover said:
I’m sorry I’m such a dummy when it comes to some of these technology things I think I’ve got it worked out now I had to load a new app on my iPad to actually downsize the picture forgive me for taking up so much of this thread. But here’s my picture to remind you of being safe when you’re cooking in any vehicle.  Now go back and read the first post I put on here while looking at this picture.
Please, never apologize for the help you give. I very much appreciate your wisdom & experience. That does look frightening ? I'm glad you are well and appreciate the input. As I will be a couple in a Prius, fuel sourced & induction/hot plates are all a definite no.

according to the reviews the hot logic uses 4 amps and takes hours to heat up food. Thats too long when your hungry. If you got alot of time to wait for the food to be ready or need something that is low amp usage it might work for you.

My advice is get a roadpro lunch bucket (use 12 amps) I been using the one I bought in 2013 and its still running perfectly (minus the broken latch) . I can't wait an hour or more for the food to be ready. A can of ravioli,chili,soup or beef stew will be ready in 15 minutes. To heat up some fishsticks or taquitos takes about 30 minutes.
It might use about 4 to 5 amps in the 15 minutes it cooks, not bad. Its my only means of heating up food and never let me down. It doesnt have an on/off switch, when you plug in it starts heating up, I just set a timer for 15 minutes and unplug when its done. If you forget and leave it on, it wont burn anything down, it will just drain your battery. It has a seal so if it tips over it wont spill as long as the latch is working.

If you get the hot logic, I would replace the 12 volt connector with an xt60 or some other connector that can handle high amps. I read some reviews of the 12 volt connector heating up and melting.

I was also thinking about getting a hot logic because it looks like you can heat up more food then the roadpro, but ultimately I like my food to be ready fast.

roadpro lunch bucket. I use aluminum foil to line the cooker and put the food on there, never makes a mess. Notice how I cut the wire short and use an xt60 connector (handle 60 amps) instead of the cheap 12 volt adapter it came with ( they arent design to handle 12 amps and heat up tremendously). I cut the wire short because they used 14 gauge wire (maybe 16 gauge) and it gets very warm while in use, too thin and long for 12 amps.

Attachments

• a roadpro.jpg
    a roadpro.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 12
The alternative to having food ready fast is to think ahead to what you might want to eat later in the afternoon or evening. I usually put my box of Lean Cuisine in the Hot Logic Mini at around noon to two in the afternoon, then eat at dinner time.

I was thinking, though, that if there will be two people in the Prius, that might be an issue unless you have more than one place to plug in a 12v item. My Ford Transit has three... two on the dashboard and one near the back door. You cannot fit more than one box of Lean Cuisine or similar sized frozen meals into the Hot Logic Mini. You'd have to buy two if you'll have a traveling companion... or find another way to cook your meal.

As far as it being a safe (albeit slow) way to warm up your meal, it is definitely safe enough to use in your Prius.

Good info, folks!

I bought a Hot Logic this last winter but haven’t yet used it.

I vacuum seal and freeze a lot of leftovers when I am at home, and thought putting one of these meals in the hot logic on a drive day would be a perfect solution to having a hot meal after I stop.

When I don’t really feel like cooking but still need something nutritious.

I have a 12volt water kettle I picked up somewhere years ago, maybe at a truck stop store, that is great for a quick boil of water and could also be used to heat something like soup.

You could also plug one of those one quart crock pots into a 12volt outlet, using a little converter.

Interesting, I hadn't seen these before.
After looking into them I see they heat to a temp of 165 or so. While getting hot, that shouldn't be hot enough to cause any fire hazards with a little common sense placement.
I like it, 12v and compact. I have a 3qt Instant Pot I plan to use, but thinking I'll get one of these as well for days to let it sit and cook w/o using the inverter. I eat my big meal at lunch so I'm thinking I can prep it after breakfast and be ready for lunch.
Thanks, good stuff!

I do not typically do a lot of long driving days. My style is to find a place to stay for the max number of days allowed whenever possible. So a hot logic mini would sit unused for most of the year. It simply would not be a good value versus the space to store it.

I'm here to contradict myself. Just as a test (!) this afternoon I bought a Lean Cuisine dinner and a box of frozen broccoli (at our local store) and put BOTH in the Hot Logic Mini - and they both fit! So there's more room in there than I expected. They were only in there about an hour or two. When I got home to the travel trailer, the box on the bottom was completely thawed and the one on top was still mostly frozen, but not completely. So maybe one Hot Logic Mini would work for two people. If I was planning to cook these completely there, I'd open it now and then to change the placement of the boxes so they'd both get evenly warm. BTW, it fits any frozen meal that size, or even a small casserole type dish could fit in there if you want to fix your own dinner, or... I have warmed frozen burritos in there... and other things.

travelaround said:
I use a Hot Logic Mini to heat up things like Lean Cuisine dinners. It is so easy. Just put the entire unopened box inside, plug it into 12v and while you drive, the dinner heats up. It takes 3 or 4 hours. Very slow heating!

It fulfills my desire to have at least one hot meal each day. I like putting the Hot Logic Mini inside a big towel or blanket to keep more heat in... maybe cook a little faster.

My original Hot Logic Mini burned in the forest fire last September 8 and it is one thing I liked so much I immediately bought another.
I understand that it also takes very low wattage. As we live in the Midwest, both with full time jobs, we will have the most available time for travel late Fall through Winter. I thought this might be a good option to put in pre prepared meals & cook as we hike/explore for the day and again as we sleep. Do you think there would be a danger to my 12 volt if left on during the day?

jonyjoe303 said:
according to the reviews the hot logic uses 4 amps and takes hours to heat up food. Thats too long when your hungry. If you got alot of time to wait for the food to be ready or need something that is low amp usage it might work for you.

My advice is get a roadpro lunch bucket (use 12 amps) I been using the one I bought in 2013 and its still running perfectly (minus the broken latch) . I can't wait an hour or more for the food to be ready. A can of ravioli,chili,soup or beef stew will be ready in 15 minutes. To heat up some fishsticks or taquitos takes about 30 minutes.
It might use about 4 to 5 amps in the 15 minutes it cooks, not bad. Its my only means of heating up food and never let me down. It doesnt have an on/off switch, when you plug in it starts heating up, I just set a timer for 15 minutes and unplug when its done. If you forget and leave it on, it wont burn anything down, it will just drain your battery. It has a seal so if it tips over it wont spill as long as the latch is working.

If you get the hot logic, I would replace the 12 volt connector with an xt60 or some other connector that can handle high amps. I read some reviews of the 12 volt connector heating up and melting.

I was also thinking about getting a hot logic because it looks like you can heat up more food then the roadpro, but ultimately I like my food to be ready fast.

roadpro lunch bucket. I use aluminum foil to line the cooker and put the food on there, never makes a mess. Notice how I cut the wire short and use an xt60 connector (handle 60 amps) instead of the cheap 12 volt adapter it came with ( they arent design to handle 12 amps and heat up tremendously). I cut the wire short because they used 14 gauge wire (maybe 16 gauge) and it gets very warm while in use, too thin and long for 12 amps.
Thank you very much for the info & response. To be honest I plan to buy an inverter for my Prius. Unsure about which inverter lol. We are torn between going "all in" with a 2200W pure sine wave or just getting by with a 300W a inverter adapter for our 12V plug. We will be using the full capabilities of our sleeping pod/generator on wheels. I will check into your ho to oven. Haven't researched that unit much. I've honestly been avoiding anything that looks bulky or has a very high wattage. I appreciate your perspective and feedback! Thank you!

travelaround said:
The alternative to having food ready fast is to think ahead to what you might want to eat later in the afternoon or evening. I usually put my box of Lean Cuisine in the Hot Logic Mini at around noon to two in the afternoon, then eat at dinner time.

I was thinking, though, that if there will be two people in the Prius, that might be an issue unless you have more than one place to plug in a 12v item. My Ford Transit has three... two on the dashboard and one near the back door. You cannot fit more than one box of Lean Cuisine or similar sized frozen meals into the Hot Logic Mini. You'd have to buy two if you'll have a traveling companion... or find another way to cook your meal.

As far as it being a safe (albeit slow) way to warm up your meal, it is definitely safe enough to use in your Prius.
I agree, planning is key. Have you seen the 9×13 HL unit? I am, in all honesty, extremely nervous about my battery system. I'm about 80% confident that I can park my Prius, plug in the mini @ a 50W pull, & hike for the day as my pre prepped dinner slow cooks without draining my 12V. The larger unit is double that pull @ 100W pull. I'm uncertain if that's acceptable to leave on for 6-8 hours with the car off? I am very much in love with the idea of waking up to freshly baked frittata & coming back to healthy soups, stews & meat/veggies.

WanderingRose said:
Good info, folks!

I bought a Hot Logic this last winter but haven’t yet used it.

I vacuum seal and freeze a lot of leftovers when I am at home, and thought putting one of these meals in the hot logic on a drive day would be a perfect solution to having a hot meal after I stop.

When I don’t really feel like cooking but still need something nutritious.

I have a 12volt water kettle I picked up somewhere years ago, maybe at a truck stop store, that is great for a quick boil of water and could also be used to heat something like soup.

You could also plug one of those one quart crock pots into a 12volt outlet, using a little converter.
Thanks for sharing! I've been eyeing those collapsible electric kettles, so your share is quite helpful. Most are around 900W, so I would need an onboard pure sine generator in order to safely use this with my onboard 12v correct? I think the kettle may allow me to pack a lot more dry/shelf stable foods & save me some cool storage space. Let's not forget that lovely cup of peppermint tea or hot chocolate come Fall & Winter ?

Uncle Todo said:
Interesting, I hadn't seen these before.
After looking into them I see they heat to a temp of 165 or so. While getting hot, that shouldn't be hot enough to cause any fire hazards with a little common sense placement.
I like it, 12v and compact. I have a 3qt Instant Pot I plan to use, but thinking I'll get one of these as well for days to let it sit and cook w/o using the inverter. I eat my big meal at lunch so I'm thinking I can prep it after breakfast and be ready for lunch.
Thanks, good stuff
I'm extremely happy to see that my line if thinking is at least reasonable lol. Thank for your input, I'm glad this is opening a new idea to others!

travelaround said:

Love this! So helpful! Thank you!

maki2 said:
I do not typically do a lot of long driving days. My style is to find a place to stay for the max number of days allowed whenever possible. So a hot logic mini would sit unused for most of the year. It simply would not be a good value versus the space to store it.
I'm sure this is not a great option for everyone. As I will, in the short run, only be able to travel over 3-4 day weekends Fall-Winter & am a party of two, compact packing is absolutely key. I'm seeing this as a set it & forget it option as I'm out exploring the areas I'm in. What options would you suggest. I'm definitely thankful for everyone's perspective

If I remember correctly Bob did a video on the road pro and showed how he makes a French bread pizza type thing in it. One of these would be great but I think the road pro might be better. This last week I didn’t have enough solar energy to keep my refrigerator line much less use something like these but under the conditions like I have the day why no problem. It sure is safer than having an open flame in a vehicle.