HONEY ... renovation thread

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please could you tell me more about the poured plastic shower pan... i need to build a custom pan in my remodeled travel trailer.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Looks great!

I too would be interested in more detail of the pan material and how the walls are waterproofed...

The walls were constructed out of 1/8" plywood. Painted about 8 inches up the backside with liquid rubber. Then screwed to the walls with sika. Then the seams were sealed with foundation tape and everything painted over twice with liquid rubber. USA rubber sells a non-solvent liquid rubber. I think I was the firs to use it to creat a shower...typically used to create waterproof foundations and swimming Pool liners. The light blue "paint" you see in the shelving..that is liquid rubber. I liked the color so much I kept it just rubber on the ceiling and inside this shelf unit

The finish is just elcheapo vinyl tile. The glue on the back of those "self stick" tiles does not hold on rubber (lesson I learned the hard way on th rubber backsplash in the galley). So..I used Fuze painted unto the backs then installed them. The trim is all pvc with latex caulking.

The shower pan is just a poly resin poured onto the plywood floor...over blue crushed poly stone, and the finish created by roughing up the surface and including a sprinkle of more polystone dust before it cured. The frame was created by gluing in thin strips of plastic..about 3 inches up the wall. Since the wall board would cover it .. it didn't matter what color..I used white cause it was cheap. Be sure to place a shower drain into the hole sticking up higher than your pour. I watched several YouTube posts of various methods...and material to get different looks. I wanted something very light weight, but the guy that did this over real stone pebbles was very tempting to copy. Poly resin can be bought at any hardware store.

Were you able to introduce any slope or pitch to the pan with that? Also wondering about the drain...did you set it in place, plumbed in, and then remove after resin dried? Any difficulties with that?

The drain was created by making a cardboard mock-up then covering it with candle wax. I cut it out when cured. Just make sure it stands taller than the plan to pour. I guess you could be the real drain in..and just use some means to make it taller to keep the resin out of the drain area.

I did not figure a way to add a slope. The whole pan is only 26x28. So..I will just use my feet to scoot the water down. The curb will only be 2 1/2 inches high...but then, I don't think I will have the luxury of standing in the shower with water pouring on me.

Dayum.

dancing_in_the_rain_emote____by_aluinn.gif

That's sweet!

Very interesting creation .
Looks real good from here !

Started to build the outside table.

I took the old compartment door off and turned it upside down....
It was crazy getting the brackets to hold each side...but, finally found something that would work, and then cut off the screws...somit just hangs with the weight keeping the hinge in place...

IMG_0739.JPG

Now, I just need to put a frame into it and mount the table top to that...

Next week is just too busy....probably be a couple weeks before I can kill some time on this again....

Attachments

• IMG_0739.JPG
    IMG_0739.JPG
    1.3 MB
Making quick progress now.    
I am really pushing to get this on the road before Oct 1.    

Paid a guy to build the top cabs and bed/sofa

He did a great job and a very decent price!    Realwood Cabinets in Delta, CO

IMG_0790.JPG
IMG_0791.JPG

IMG_0792.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0790.JPG
    IMG_0790.JPG
    1.2 MB
  • IMG_0791.JPG
    IMG_0791.JPG
    1.1 MB
  • IMG_0792.JPG
    IMG_0792.JPG
    991.3 KB
Must feel great to have someone come in and bang out a nice job.

Boom!!!

On to the next step. What are you going to do for a counter top?

Not that that's your next step, just curious.

Putts...

There is a lady here in the Grand Valley that makes butcher block type counters. They are really more of a mosaic made from all sorts wood scraps. I asked her to build this for me...but...only 1/2 inch instead of the usual 1 inch....because of weight.

I am really eager to see it

Got the outdoor table ready for the final surface....

Decided I needed to paint rubber everywhere.   Doesn't look like there is water in there after a rain, but I'd rather be safe...
IMG_0793.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0793.JPG
    IMG_0793.JPG
    1.3 MB
hey,thats cheating,now i'm the only one cutting thing 3 inches off