HONEY ... renovation thread

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I stopped over at the shop where that lady does her work. I really love the work she does.

She has the countertop strips assembled...now she is in the final assembly ...

This is where she is in the progress now.....

photo.JPG

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 32
If there's going to be a sink cutout.
That cutout will make a nice sink cover/chopping block...........

The new console/dog house top has arrived.

This was ordered onLine and then turned over for custom additions.

Before installing this I need to figure out what insulation to put on the rest...and of course the carpet.

IMG_0803.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0803.JPG
    IMG_0803.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
Very Oak-iferous ! ;)

What woods are being used for your counter top?
I used to build a lot of those ,along with the laminate versions............
(My fave wood combination is Black Walnut and BirdseyeMaple)

The counter top is oak, cherry, teak, maple, black walnut, pecan, etc.

Plus, whatever else is laying around her shop with enough scrap to intergrate into a pattern.
The galley countertop is 56 inches long...so, finding enough scrap to create a pattern over that length has been her challenge. (I think once she is done she is going to be out of stock on a lot of the more exotic wood).

The overall interior of the RV is natural oak and natural cherry.

I spent time looking at new RVs....the poor quality of the material was part of what convinced me to do it myself. Real hardwood

While the RV is at the body shop...stall new seats, carpet, and hood ... I started the sewing for the cushions and curtains.    Just about the only thing I can do with the Beast gone.
I finished 4 curtains.   Still have 3 more to do.

Once I finish all this, the sewing machine will be shipped to me daughter in Boston.    So..trying to do as much as I can.    I am temp. In a motel so not much else to do...
These curtains are made from several quilt blocks that my Mom made and never finished. So..Mom's last quilt will be the curtains for the RV

Curtains for the side and rear window...

IMG_0805.JPG

Curtain for the divider between RV and front.  (Smidge is trying not to help)
IMG_0806.JPG

I did finish the cushions.    I'll keep them at the storage locker until I am ready.
IMG_0804.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0805.JPG
    IMG_0805.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0806.JPG
    IMG_0806.JPG
    907.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0804.JPG
    IMG_0804.JPG
    974.4 KB · Views: 9
You're mighty handy with that sewing stuff too.....

Just catching up on your progress...everything is really coming together great! Is she going to do a poured resin to finish the countertop? Can't wait to see the results.

I find myself really curious about how much you've paid for the services you've subbed out...because those are things I can picture myself trying to make money at in the future. Skilled custom work like that could easily be valued where under $50/hr is a good deal, but it all depends on location and demand of course. $25/hr cash would certainly be acceptable in many situations. But then you have to factor in the old retired guys who have nothing better to do but fart around in the workshop...they probably depress wages :D

Putts said:
Dayum.

dancing_in_the_rain_emote____by_aluinn.gif

That's sweet!

Man O Man!  I want one of these Happy Hopping Rain Dance Thingys!  It made me smile big time!

Jewellann

P.S.  R U from the south?   U say Dayum jist like me!

Oh yeah a Hula Girl for the dashboard....fuzzy dice for the rear view mirror too!

VanKitten said:
... I started the sewing for the cushions and curtains.   

These curtains are made from several quilt blocks that my Mom made and never finished.   So..Mom's last quilt will be the curtains for the RV
RK, what a great job you've done of this renovation.  Your Mom's quilt blocks are lovely.  My grandmother was a quilter.  She made a bed quilt for me when I was born, put it away, then gave it to me when I got married.  I intend using it on my bed in my future RV.  Thanks so much for all your posting efforts, much appreciated.
Charlotte

I know an old fart in Lubbock, Tx who is willing to work for cash and will work for depressed wages to keep from being depressed from boredom.

Well, I find the guys that have big shops and call themselves cabinet makers are rather pricey, and fairly clueless about the needs of an RV....stuff like..only build the frame because it is lighter and the back and sides will be the walls of the RV. Foreign stuff to them.

The guys that are doing hobby stuff in their garage are reasonable in price, but they too are sort of clueless....but, they are quite willing to follow my lead on those RV details. The fellow at Real Wood is like that. He wants to get more business....so he is glad for the reference. He does really nice work.

I do not know how to go about finding these guys. I had people suggest to me to call people, who gave me another lead to these guys. Spent time hanging out at woodworking shops. I started by just looking for speciality hinges and railings....but, chit-chat led me to these other leads.