HONEY ... renovation thread

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanKitten

Reaction score
IMG_0195.JPG

IMG_0397.JPGWell, it's been a long time coming, but it has begun.  Slowly.  

Background story is that the beast was left in NC because I could not get it here (grand valley) because of handing to take care of my parents.....last summer.

So...I began by removing all the 55 gal. Drums and pvc piping.   Monster generator and huge inverted panel..all gone too.   Had the tall rack on the top cut off.    I was thinking that by having it cut off instead of removed I wouldn't not have so much damage allowing more water to leak in.    We'll, that plan did not include the 800lb employee stomping around up there.   Wow, have I got leaks!   Put a huge tarp over the whole thing because now it is raining, freezing rain, and wicked cold too,   Not much is going to happen till it is much warmer

IMG_0398.JPG

IMG_0399.JPG

IMG_0400.JPG

The roof is very weak, put in 2x4 posts to prevent it from coming down while I wait for better weather.   The walls are not too rotted....but, you can see the places where the floor is rotted away from the wall.      Well...I can hardly wait to get into this!

Attachments

• IMG_0397.JPG
    IMG_0397.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0398.JPG
    IMG_0398.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0399.JPG
    IMG_0399.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0400.JPG
    IMG_0400.JPG
    923.9 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0195.JPG
    IMG_0195.JPG
    868.9 KB · Views: 90
cool,what model is it? is the exterior metal or plastic/fiberglass?

Gary68 said:
cool,what model is it? is the exterior metal or plastic/fiberglass?

It is a 1989 Honeywell.   Ford E350.  It now has 63,000 on it.

The roof was lord only knows what..looks like it got a lot of different layers through the years..last layer might have been rubber......trash now.  The top half is aluminum, the bottom is fiberglass-vinyl composite (according to the original owner's manual). 

I have been thinking long about the question of filling holes created by screws to "clamp" the sandwich together...luan/bonding/exterior surface.   I know you were looking at this issue too.   What about fairing compound?   They make it for aluminum and Fiberglass.  Since I am going to have the whole painted...I wonder if it is the right stuff.   Usually used in marine application for above and below the water line...should be good to seal those holes?   What did you use?

that was vagabound,not sure what he used,check his thread

Are there any pictures that show an example of where you want to bond new plywood to the glass shell? Everything I see has plenty of wood frame/studs to screw to...

I was thinking you got that to Colorado at some point? Sounds like a project. I saw a Chevy wide body like that a while back about that model year. Looked interesting but wasn't cheap by any means.

I love the look of the outside! That is a neat looking base.

Bryan...thanks. I like the look too. I wanted either this or a chinnok. But, restored they cost way too much...if you can find one. But, getting it here was a long story. I was completely amazed when it arrived here. Honestly, I couldn't believe the roof didn't cave in on the trip!

This was seriously cheap. I've put a lot into it as far as mechanical.. (long, long story). This is why is was sooooo cheap.

I knew the interior had lots of water damage....but, the fact that I wasn't paying for an RV interior was appealing. Basically, I didn't pay for anything I was just going to throw out anyway.

Brad...I'll take pictures of the side that really has the worst of the damage. I was freezing today. Spent the few quick minutes getting a tarp over it and making sure I got "jacks" in place to help stabilize the roof. Hands were so cold I couldn't feel them. Took a couple quick pix and dashed for the house to warm up.

I really hope it all goes smoothly and cheaply for you Roaming. I am looking at a lot of reno work on my van too. I saw a vehicle that had your shape and was blue with a "Go Blue" emblem I was thinking about. That was $5500 and I was going to make the drive to check it out. When I called it was gone. Its hard for me to really get an idea of the shape of your interior, but that exterior is such a great look!

Finally had decent enough weather to take the tarp off and finish (mostly) the demo of the walls and roof.    Here is what I found.......

IMG_0415.JPG
IMG_0413.JPG
The good news and the bad news.

Good news.... the water damage isn't as bad as I believed it would be.   It looks like the worst of this is on the port side.   Starboard is in good shape!

IMG_0414.JPG

I was prepared to rebuild both walls and the entire roof.   Looks like it is just the port side and that side of the roof.

The floor is going to need to be removed completely.    After getting the metal box that contained the monster generator out...I find large holes...and gasoline soaked wood
IMG_0417.JPG

So..the walls and roof need to dry out...then I will begin by building new roof rafters...then move to the walls.

Got a question.,,I want to get rid of the hatchway that the old generator used.   This leaves a 25" x 13" hole in the side.   

IMG_0419.JPG

The one you see here.   Any idea where I can find a bit of fiberglass the same profile to put in to cover it?

Attachments

• IMG_0415.JPG
    IMG_0415.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0413.JPG
    IMG_0413.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0414.JPG
    IMG_0414.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0417.JPG
    IMG_0417.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0419.JPG
    IMG_0419.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 52
You have quite the project ahead of you. I don't know the answer to your fiberglass question, but I'm interested to see how you make this work!

I don't think you'll have much luck finding a piece of plywood laminated with FRP or resin without paying a lot for a lot more than you need. Maybe cut a piece out of a box in a junkyard.

Seems like it'd be a lot simpler to just make it yourself. Cut some 3/8 plywood to fit, get the cheap Bondo resin kit at HD (http://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Bondo-1-qt-All-Purpose-Fiberglass-Resin-20122/202077790) and some glass mat, and you're all set with an easy indoor project.

If you go this route, ask again about details of working with that product...it's cheap, it'll work fine, but the ratios and pot time aren't user friendly...

What about leaving the hatch and just backing it with something?

Have you considered keeping the hatch (backing it like Jim suggests) and rebuilding a box inside? Then it can be used as an outside access storage area for messy or dirty stuff that you don't want to drag into your RV.

i have a large vent where my fridge was and are planning to go over to the scraper here and cut the side out of a stove or washing machine and glue it in,my genny hole is sunk down 6-8 inches and will be a battery box/light storage

I have thought about just using any scrap...but...notice the ripple effect of the bottom? A smooth surface will stick out.

I think maybe I will just close it permanently. Easiest answer.

I have two boxes under the bed...one each side. Going to tools and "messy" stuff. But, I also have two more hatches besides that...on the other side. Still thinking about what I will do with them

Very cool. Please keep documenting it. I'm going to be starting a similar project on an old Dodge Fireball RV soon and it looks like I'll have the same interior issues as you.

Bud Smiley said:
Very cool. Please keep documenting it. I'm going to be starting a similar project on an old Dodge Fireball RV soon and it looks like I'll have the same interior issues as you.

Oh...please post pictures.    I cannot get enough of renovation pictures.   Love to see what everyone is doing!

Got back out today.   Geez 21 degrees!   
Took out more rotten wood...found more wet (spongy) wood underneath.  
IMG_0428.JPG

Took down the fiberglass covering the headliner.  Found it was completely clean and dry under it!   Wow.

IMG_0425.JPG
IMG_0427.JPG

Thing is...it was not screwed into anything!  Just being held in place by the side pieces and the light fixture!    No insulation in there either.

So, only about 3 hours of work today.   Wait until it drys out and start again.   Warmer weather would be nice too....like above freezing?

Attachments

• IMG_0428.JPG
    IMG_0428.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0425.JPG
    IMG_0425.JPG
    828.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0427.JPG
    IMG_0427.JPG
    802 KB · Views: 16