Hi Everyone!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JerryJ

Reaction score
Just want to thank everyone here for posting so much info, and being so helpful and friendly!  I hope I can return the favor in some small way, or at least put a grin on a face or two around here!

I'm in my early 50's, and I've been interested in the nomad lifestyle for a few reasons, I've been a minimalist for a long time, rarely owning more possessions than you could fit in a van, and I've always wanted to retire early enough to travel extensively while not having to worry about health issues.  I've had friends and family who lived for many years full time in RVs during retirement, who have both inspired and encouraged me to do the same, only earlier.

I made up my mind that this was the year to finally hit the road, and began seriously planning earlier this year. I originally thought of a box truck all decked out,  a cargo van customized to the hilt, or a minivan with a pull-out. However, after researching I realized for the amount of traveling I would like to do, a Prius could be the best option.  

I did my research, and found a 2007 with only 135k miles at a very cheap price due to a failing hybrid battery (I plugged in a Bluetooth OBD2 adaptor and got codes P08A0 and P3018 indicating a block in the middle of the battery was bad).  I looked it up by VIN on Toyota's website, and found it had been serviced twice a year every year, with the falling hybrid battery as the latest notation, so I knew it had potential due to being maintained well. I was a power generator mechanic in the army years ago,  which gave me training in both electric generators and engines, so I bought the car and ordered a rebuilt battery which I installed last week (I'll be replacing individual modules in the future to keep the rebuilt battery going cheaply).  I've been extensively testing it for the past week, and am happy to say I think I made a good choice, and it only cost me $3300 for the car and replacement battery! 

I've purchased most of what I believe I'll need to camp comfortably, and really want to thank all the Prius campers here who have posted so much great info!  I've fabricated window covers from coroplast sandwiched between reflectix with black felt on one side, and made to press fit in all rear windows, and I'll be using a blackout curtain across the front seats, so I have privacy and stealth when needed.  I've created screen covers to go over all four windows, so I have the ability to keep the bugs out when I want the windows down.  I have a twin size inflatable mattress that fits perfectly with both rear seats down, but I'll probably switch to something smaller (it's 10" thick).  I'm still deciding on ice chest vs Alpicool 12v fridge, but for now I do have an ice chest that fits well in the passenger side rear, and only needs a 6" storage container below to use it to extend the bed area.  I have my camp stove, tent, camping chair, solar shower, and am still looking into options for an awning type setup on the back end of the Prius.

I hope I can meet as many of you as possible on the road over the next few years, and look forward to sharing experiences!I
Thanks again everyone!

Congratulations! You would be a good resource amongst the electronics and Prius crowd. Being able to keep batteries alive will cut down on environmental concerns of just continually replacing them. One thing I really agree with Bob on is the lesser footprint we leave not living in sticks and bricks. As we evolve into greener methods of living we can reduce that even more. I think I agreed with Bob on something else but I forget what that was. Haha! Good people here who I also look forward to meeting on the road.
Good luck on your new life, and travel safely!

Welcome to the CRVL forums JerryJ! Sounds like you are ready to go! Where to first?

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Thanks for the welcomes! I'm currently in Lubbock Texas, and I plan on starting out in Colorado, then up to the north western states while it's hot, then down through Nevada, California, and Arizona during the colder months. That being said, I'm not setting any plans in concrete! If someone gives me a good reason to go somewhere, I plan on just going, adventures that are too well planned are not adventures imho.

I hope by the time the next RTR rolls around, I will have met some people to caravan with from time to time. I'm more than happy to help anyway I can, be it electrically, mechanically, or carpentry (I spent a few years as a custom cabinet builder during the height of the Vegas building boom in the early 2000s).

My ultimate goal is to spend at least a month in each state, looking for the place I ultimately will build a tiny retirement house/cabin/bungalow.

Thanks again for the welcomes, I hope to see you OTR!

Jerry, with that skill set, I think you're gonna be pretty popular around here!

I just started traveling full-time this year, spent the winter in Arizona. My home base is in Washington state, and I am currently there now.

I just got my license plates for my Prius, they start out NLM, nomad lives matter?

(Note - I hope that doesn't offend anyone, I wholeheartedly support Black Lives Matter!)

Hi Jerry
I spent my career teaching in South Central Los Angeles and when the word first entered the general vocabulary I had just bought a new car and the first two letters were HO. (Our numbers come first here) I went to the DMV and told them no way was I driving around with the word “ho” on my license plate. The guy didn’t say a word just took them, tossed them in a giant trash can and handed me a new set.

Sounds like he was the smartest guy at the DMV!

LERCA said:
Hi Jerry
I spent my career teaching in South Central Los Angeles and when the word first entered the general vocabulary I had just bought a new car and the first two letters were HO. (Our numbers come first here) I went to the DMV and told them no way was I driving around with the word “ho” on my license plate. The guy didn’t say a word just took them, tossed them in a giant trash can and handed me a new set.
Thanks LERCA for the laugh. I never would think of looking for that... you guys had me running out quick to see if my plates were offensive. Haha. Whew... nope.

Welcome to the CRVL Forums   :) 

Sounds like the Prius would be perfect for you.   A friend of mine I grew up with has one and he had seen this youtube video for extended range and asked me what I thought.  This guy Kim Adelman installs a special battery pack to achieve this.  I just don't know if it would change the floor for your bedding or not,  but you could give it a look.  This video is quite detailed.

Good Luck !

165 mpg Prius
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...DCBA0D5D0654B8725F83DCB&view=detail&FORM=VIRE
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...DCBA0D5D0654B8725F83DCB&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

Woohoo!

I just took my driving test, passed 100%, feeling like a teenager again!

I hadn't had a license for years due to letting mine expire for too long, riding my bike to work for the past 11 years, and complications getting a copy of my birth certificate (needed a notarized letter, couldn't get it notarized without a valid ID, need birth certificate to get valid ID, need notarized letter to get birth certificate, circular path to insanity)!

Learn from my experience, DON'T LET YOUR ID/LICENSE EXPIRE FOR MORE THAN A MONTH OR TWO!!!!

Feels good to be driving legally again! No more constantly scanning around for cops to avoid, no more stress, I'm enjoying the road again!

I should have both my title and drivers license arrive in the mail within two weeks, then I can hit the road! Woohoo!!!

I was able to renew online this time due to Covid. It was suppose to be a require DMV renewal so I was struggling to get cataract surgery, which of course was put on hold. So the license is good for 8 more years, using my photo from 10 years ago! Just finished the second eye surgery and no longer need glasses to drive.

GypsyJan said:
I was able to renew online this time due to Covid. It was suppose to be a require DMV renewal so I was struggling to get cataract surgery, which of course was put on hold. So the license is good for 8 more years, using my photo from 10 years ago! Just finished the second eye surgery and no longer need glasses to drive.

Glad to here the surgery went well!  TBH, I think you are the first person I've heard of actually being helped by Covid!