New with a van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Necron99

Reaction score
So been lurking for a few weeks looking for some ideas for what i want in my van.
Ill be retiring in a few months and want a easier way to camp. We have been using a Suburban for years to sleep in and tents before that.
So to make it easier for us to go camping i bought a Chevy Express 1/2 ton conversion van
405684517_7189406957771307_640208541379493398_n.jpg402670417_6793443657418750_2700440361913535394_n.jpg

So after stripping out most of the interior including the carpet, this is what im working with. Door panels will also be removed.
So far i will need to reseal the 3 big windows as they are leaking and strip out all the extra conversion wiring that is no longer needed.
Plan is to lay a 3/4 plywood floor and cover it with LVF.
Sides will be insulated and paneled
Windows blacked out and covered over
Bed will be next crosswise across the back.
After this stuff is done, im not sure what to add later. Im thinking we will figure out what to add as the need arises more than once.
20240121_105156.jpg20240121_105159.jpg20240121_105204.jpg

Trying to make some progress but it's near impossible with the weather.
Constant rain keeping me from resealing the 3 big windows that are leaking and i can not do anything until they are resealed.
I have 2 new sheets of 5/8 inch plywood i got from work free, so thats a handy score!
Insulation will probably be R-Tech foam stiff and expanding foam where i can't get to.
I don't think i need a lot of insulation as i don't plan on camping under 25F
Wall sheeting i think 1/8in plywood would work. Wife wants Bigfoot wall paper, so thats what im going to try to do.
The bed will be from side to side across the back with each side resting on the black bars you can see in the pic.
For electrical I'll be installing a 100wh LiPo battery with a dc-dc charger and maybe a solar panel if it turns out we need the extra power.
Anyway, thats the major points at the moment and over the summer i will be adding things we actually need and will use.
Sound like a good plan so far?

20240127_131338.jpg

It's going to be awesome. Love your rig. You are off to a good start with well thought out plans. Welcome to the forum!

(people who know way more than me will chime in regarding the specifics of your plans:)

Thanks!
I think it's a plan. Good or not, i'll find out.
If it would just get raining out i could get started. No way to seal wet windows i know of.

There are a few clear and also black sealants sold in hardware stores and in marine supply stores that will adhere and cure when applied to wet surfaces.

Putting a tarp over and then drying off the area is also a possibility. Be sure you only apply caulk when the weather is in the recommended temperature range.

Stubborn small leaks in window gaskets can often be sealed with Captain Tolley’s Creeping Crack Solution. It is a watery thin liquid caulk that travels down under the seal to get to the impossible to see small leaks. While mostly found in marine supply stores you can order it online. It solved my leak issue on a rubber window gasket on a late 1970s, motorhome over cab window. It would have been an impossible job to remove and replace that gasket without an assistant. I was working in a waterfront neighborhood so it was easy for me to buy Captain Tolley’s off the shelf at a local West Marine store. Read about the product at this company website.
https://captaintolley.com/

Last edited: