here we go again

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desert_sailing

Reaction score
Ran across a ford e150 high top some time ago.. and didn't jump at it... fast forward and I saw it driving by the other day and it was still for sale.. gave the guy a call..did a more thorough research and inspection and decided to go ahead and buy it. He had lowered the price by 500 bux down to 3k since last time I had spoke to him..I didnt haggle further.. the kbb hi end for good condi was like 2600ish and that is standard height.. this has a very nice high top on it too boot. Being 6'1" this is the best feature and pert ne'er a requirement for my towering manliness.

A 97 with 157k miles on it.. :)/)... I figure I can get  some good use of it. I did research the engine and it is a 4.2 essex..and not the sparkplug menace found in the tritons. Not that there werent issues with the essex.. the probs appeared to happen early on..so I am hopeful those bugs arent infesting this rig.  I did look at a replacement engine price and it is around 2700 bux.. plus labor.. would still be a good deal for a zero mileage hightop if i had to ever replace.

I will be building it out with a primary goal to flip it for profit in a year or 2..so economy should be interesting. Now that I had a few months in my gmc I understand much more the things that I really want/need. I sure do like the gmc..it long, spacious and it is finished comfortably but I can't be hunched over in there ..I have to bend over by  over a foot...LOL I will be putting it up for sale in the next day or so. I will probably list here, among other places... unless there is a restriction on selling things here. I don't expect to turn a profit ..LOL

Anyhow here are a couple starter pics.... wish me luck!

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 22
Sweet man, glad you got it.
Looks like you got a good base for a build there.
That sure is a hiiiigh top!
When I first started dreaming of van life a few years ago that's the top I was looking pairing with either a E250 or E350 extended van.
That was back when I had big dreams, since they've shrunk to Astro sized dreams lol

Cant wait to see your progress and build reports. Good luck.

Very nice and comes with a floor and bulkhead. You could insulate and upholster the bulkhead on the cab side for stealth and privacy.
-crofter

crofter said:
Very nice and comes with a floor and bulkhead.
-crofter
 pictures lie... while indeed it has a floor.. that is actually a black stained tore up rubber mat thing... it isn't a grey wood grain as it appears....lol
I'm on the fence about the bulk head.. leaning heavily on removing it... i do like the pros of having it... but not sure. I will be turning the passenger seat around... so the bulkhead has to be partially removed..im also wanting to utilize the space between seats... i may keep the section behind driver seat... not sure
always fighting for an inch.
stayed up late stewing about how to proceed... as i have yet to sell the other... not many dimes remain...ugg.. efficiency efficiency efficiency..

Congrats! I think you'll be very happy!

I've been very happy with my 97 E150. Bought it in 2014 with 117,000 miles. She's been coast to coast 6 times and everywhere in between. Including long parks due to medical issues. She's got 154,000 miles now. My mechanics on both coasts are amazed by her condition. The engine purrs and for the most part, has only needed basic maintenance. At 24 years old isn't everything maintenance?

Congrats. It looks pretty good for being old. Looks better than mine inside, that's for sure.

Started to remove the bulkhead.. super annoying to get rid of the rivets that are attached to the vehicle and one section of it. I am not having much luck. I used a bit (titanium) to drill it out.. but I was breaking bits.. went to larger size and stilll nothing.. LOL  the rivet started to just spin...lol Went and bought one of those rotary tool things thinking I could just cut the head off.. but those damn flimsy cutting wheels that come with it are a joke.. its like a cookie and break at the slightest touch..I even tried a chisel and hammer..that seemed to show the most potential but my chisel is dull and worn down.. maybe a new sharp one would be better?

Any suggestions?

I did get the passenger seat flipped around... but as you can see the seat angles forward because of the base. My gmc also does this but reclining the seat back corrects that. It wont be that easy for this ford as the seats dont recline...LOL.. OFC!
SO I will have to devise a spacer of sorts about 4 inches to lift the front up so the seat can be used. Ill be pissed if I just don't know where the recline button is.

Been scouring the internet for sheet vinyl linoleum or whatever it is... very very little selection and what I have found that I liked was pretty darn expensive. The peel and stick "board" flooring pieces are much more reasonable in price for the style I want..but I am wondering about how they will hold up and of course the xtra weight they bring. I then looked at some marine carpeting but again sooo expensive...So I am not sure exactly.

I am not trying to replicate the Belvedere but .. I am not gonna put a medicore build in a hightop..definitely going for above average for my comfort but most importantly resell value... while the rule of thumb is that vehicles depreciate.. the high demand for a rig is knocking out much of that loss.

Anyhow I have  a couple pics of where I am heading... so I can put in the orders for some materials and appliances. I will be putting in a diesel heater.. and will have a stovetop small oven combo running off propane.. I found a dometic one for about 500 bux.. still shopping for a less expensive one..
Will also put a under the floor shower platform... will have to raise the floor a couple inches to accomodate that..or cut the floor... not sure but thinking raising is better... I would be more than happy to lose 2 inches and have a shower than not. I have had to bow my head a bit many times to get under a shower head in a house. so not bothered by doing it in  a van.

The black quilted faux leather vinyl is what I am thiking about on the walls and ceilinig all the way to top.. and build cabinets and bed and trim out of clear coated birch.... I am not a designer.. and wear very plain clothing.. but want something more bold and masculine..nothing too frilly and pretty...

OFC things change with the budget and who the heck knows what will happen between now and when I make the actual order..:)

Suggestions and input would be appreciated.

I noticed after the floor plan I forgot to add the wheel well.. so I will lose a little bit off that..some kind of something..but wont have anything on the passenger well to keep it nice and open.. In fact I dont think I will have many upper cabinets at all... on the back I will do a floor to ceiling pantry and linen/clothes closet.

Hopefully  I can make some good progress this weekend..but we are expected to have cruddy weather...://

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Troy_Black-B.jpeg
    Troy_Black-B.jpeg
    34.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
^^^ Yep they have one with a smaller diameter stone that is about a 1/4” inch or so thick. I think the last one I got was like less than $10 on sale. It burned up after a couple weeks so check on the replacement warranty. A slightly smaller pin punch really helps after grinding the heads almost off. You can also use a die grinder with a carbide bit but it will cost more.

desert_sailing said:
I did get the passenger seat flipped around... but as you can see the seat angles forward because of the base. My gmc also does this but reclining the seat back corrects that. It wont be that easy for this ford as the seats dont recline.

On my van I reversed the base so the seat sits right. The mounting bolts are spaced differently front-to-back, so I had to drill some holes and added a 1/8" bar at the front to hold it down.

I can't remember why I cut out the carpet. Guess there was a clearance issue.

DSC07460.JPGDSC07459.JPG

Attachments

• DSC07459.JPG
    DSC07459.JPG
    291.6 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC07460.JPG
    DSC07460.JPG
    319.2 KB · Views: 11
slow2day said:
On my van I reversed the base so the seat sits right. The mounting bolts are spaced differently front-to-back, so I had to drill some holes and added a 1/8" bar at the front to hold it down
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]thinking abou[size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]t doing [size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]the same in my econoliine.
[/font]
[/font][/size][/font][/size]

Do you find [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]tha[size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]t [size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]the reversed sea[size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]t in[size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]terferes wi[size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]th your side vision?[/font][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size]

Yep, just use angle grinder and make the tops of the rivets disappear.

jacqueg said:
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]thinking abou[size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]t doing [size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]the same in my econoliine.
[/font]
[/font][/size][/font][/size]

Do you find [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]tha[size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]t [size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]the reversed sea[size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]t in[size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]terferes wi[size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]th your side vision?[/font][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size][/font][/size]

With the seat back pushed all the way back it just barely clears. I have captain's chairs and the backs are 2-3" thicker than stock seats, so with standard seats you'd be fine.

so ive got the interior scrubbed down.. removing everything possible..and deep soaking... filled in a number of holes for seats and whatever else and put down a coat of rust proofing to the floor. I ground off those rivet heads which were substantial..clearly not all rivets are the same..lol

I really like flooring HDR installed in his trailer and am going to follow suit. I saw a similar product at the homedepot for about half the price and just a hair thinner than. I think the depot one said the material was polyvinyl... im wondering if this is just regular vinyl flooring but with the diamond cut pattern instead of wood pattern and lacks the durability.
This weekend ill be putting up the wall insulation and panels.. likely the 1/2 inch iso x2 layers.... they are somewhat bendable i believe? The panels will be luan with automotive carpet.

Things are going ok with fair confidence but my thoughts have been on a vent fan of sorts....
I have no idea where or how to proceed...does installing a fan on a fiberglass roof present any unique problems?... one wrong cut and the whole thing shatters??
I saw a vid on bobs channel with a fan installed on the back window area... and i dont think that would be for me..would not a small apartment size fan be sufficient to remove moisture and smoke from burning eggs?
Any thoughts about a fan on the floor?... Thats about the only place i feel comfortable about cutting into...

always appreciate the input... thanks people.

You bought the wrong type of disc for the rotary tool. You need the fiber reinforced ones. No need for a big angle grinder, that fiber reinforced ones will do the job just fine. I have removed quite a few rivet heads with them as well as cuttung bolts and screws to shorter lengths and cutting off other metal objects. They will even cut through the shanks on padlocks.

The disc you bought will indeed shatter very easily so only get the fiber reinforced version, they are worth the extra cost. And work very good on the task you are doing.

A fan used for removing moisture and odors for cooking needs to be placed directly over the stove. Bathroom fans are much the same, they need to be right by the source. Otherwise you are pulling the moisture and smells elsewhere into the space.