here we go again

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First piece of cabinetry.. Fits pretty darn good

Started the " kitchen" today and now has first rough coat of varnish.

Hopefully after tomorrow all that will remain is bench seating (tiny emergency bed) and the diesel heater install. 
Lights and electrical stuff will be easy enough... When I get to it.

Attachments

• 1619146699367.jpg
    1619146699367.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 18
  • 1619146699299.jpg
    1619146699299.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 1619146699177.jpg
    1619146699177.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 14
Very productive day. So thankful for the great weather. 
Pretty much finished off the back kitchen space.  I'm really pleased with all the storage space and still have the 6 foot long bench with storage under and the storage above the cab.. 
Lol..

The space behind the kitchen is is huge. I don't know the measurements back there but it's cavernous for me as a garage. I ended up moving that wing over the drivers side wheel well back a bit and my cut is much larger than before..lol.. I'll just build a small box I guess over that?

Tomorrow will be lazy day doing mostly varnishing...

Attachments

• 1619230297866.jpg
    1619230297866.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 1619230382931.jpg
    1619230382931.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 17
Quick question, what keeps stuff on the shelves when you drive?

I ask because I am doing shelves and I want to keep them as simple as possible.

Highdesertranger

I've been stewing over that for a few days now HDR.

I also want to keep it simple and have bounced all over between bungie, latching doors, a half rail, sliders.

I was hoping to glean some ideas from the forums experience. I've been scalping ideas from your build in particular... :)

Sliders would have been my first choice but that's off the list now. I'm kinda thinking of netting with snaps?

I always build square shelves with all manner of faceframes and doors and keeper strips.........BUT

I have an ongoing experiment......the 10 degree shelf.....you raise the front of the shelf about 10*........I'm happy so far

Somebody here posted a-long-time-ago about their tilted shelf solution

Well for the shelves I already have I was planning on a lip on the front. By lip I mean a 1x4. I figure that would work for the clothes. Now I am trying to figure out the food shelves. Doug what do you keep on the 10° shelves? Seems like a simple solution. Highdesertranger

^ Well it's only one narrow shelf holding the closed Laptop on-edge............plugged in to recharge

I've draw different "concept" boxes.......They can look unsettling......Wonky! Your eyes want things Normal........

Maybe start with a level first shelf w/lip and tilt the upper shelves with no restraint

desert_sailing said:
I've been stewing over that for a few days now HDR.

I also want to keep it simple and have bounced all over between bungie, latching doors, a half rail, sliders.

I was hoping to glean some ideas from the forums experience. I've been scalping ideas from your build in particular... :)

Here is an idea that I saw somewhere in a video a while ago...

You drill small holes on the front of the shelves, and wave paracord up and down and secure it with knots.
Paracord is stiff enough to keep clothes from falling over, but flexible enough to push aside to get your stuff, or put them on the shelf.
For multiple shelves, the cord will go up and down to all shelves, no need to do each shelf separately.
open shelves.jpg

Attachments

• open shelves.jpg
    open shelves.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 4
Great find Sofi. I've been trying to see how paracord or such would work. Canned goods would like push thru?

Nice design with the vertical lines of cord. They do sell elastic cord about the same diameter as paracord by the foot on the internet. Run that up and down through holes, tie a knot, done. Not sure if paracord or elastic cord would be appropriate, I'm just rambling.

desert_sailing said:
Great find Sofi. I've been trying to see how paracord or such would work.  Canned goods would like push thru?

Yeah, I wouldn't count on cans to behave and NOT push their curves through the cord.
Keep the cans 'downstairs', confined in a box or bin.

If I were to do that for cans, I'd run the cords horizontally, and on short shelves that would only fit one layer of upright cans. Also, when travelling with less than full shelves, I'd stick something random in with them to keep them from sliding around or falling over.

Has anyone mentioned tension rods as shelf retainers? I use some in my fridge for travel, and when I'm sat still for a week or two, I use them to make a shelf (topped with cardboard) that I use to keep bread and little stuff handy but off the table.

Camco makes single bar and double bar adjustable tension retainers aka "refrigerator bars".

Colors - brown, gray, white.

Length 10" to 17" or 16" to 28".

Easy to install for movement then remove and store while camped.

Not much movement these past couple days... Hoping to get something done today!

I had 2 large sections where the previous owners logos were and had primer over them.. looked pretty bad.

Went to napa for some color match put into spray cans.

The cans are terrible... Too close u get runs and thick spots...too far and half the can floats away.

Tried a foam roller... Much better but very far from perfect.

Had to buy 2 can minimum and the paint.... Came to 67 bux!!... 

This will have to do for a little while. Might buy another can and try to get rid of the roller lines.... Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 1619798644608.jpg
    1619798644608.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • 1619798644074.jpg
    1619798644074.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 6
Park it in a bad neighborhood overnight. Let the locals graffiti it up. It will then look less appealing to thieves.