here we go again

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go to a garage sale get several colors of partial cans of paint. Let the neighborhood make hand and foot prints over the entire van! LOL!!! Sand it down, get a good brush and paint it thick enough the brush lines run together but not so thick it forms drips that run. It takes practice. A thin base coat and a thicker final coat. Actually won a few car show awards with one once! Sort of embarrassing for the judges when I showed them a run in a seam I missed after the show.

On my trailer I removed a bunch of decals. Even though the trailer was brand new it left ghost images. I then took acetone and wiped the areas down. Presto ghost images gone. Just to be safe make sure you test a small spot that is out of sight. Highdesertranger

Fairly busy couple days..
Mostly finished the garage.  Drivers side garage will be locker style and passenger side will have a couple shelves.

Started prep for counters and started the table/bed boxes.

The table seats are a little taller than initially planned... lol but they were assembled when discovered and ain't nobody got time for that.. so they are staying at 17 tall!

The amount of storage under the table seating is outstanding
I had downsized so much with my other rig I'll actually be able to start collecting tchotchkes!!

Everyday I'm amazed at the amount of work and cost that goes into building... even just a simple box. Custom cabinetry is indeed an art...

Btw.. I'm not flying solo on this... My buddy ( carpenter) who helped me on the last build is also helping me now... but I'm pulling my share..;). I just don't know how to read a tape measure... Rounding doesn't work well in this field...lol

Attachments

• 1619924062503.jpg
    1619924062503.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 1619924063003.jpg
    1619924063003.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
  • 1619924064318.jpg
    1619924064318.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
  • 1619924065624.jpg
    1619924065624.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
  • 1619924066907.jpg
    1619924066907.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
Looking good! Yes, way too much work! But it will be worth it in the end.

Very nice work desert sailing.

Look newbies not a 2x4 in sight.

Highdesertranger

not as much progress as I'd hoped. only a couple days remain.. I think.

table legs arrived and now I have a nice sitting/eating/storage spot.  Had an old bag of screws... to attach the table top.. apparently out of those 200 screws 4 were longer and I went through the top. Wat a pisser... I'll have to just fill it cause I'm not peeling and replacing the whole thing.

Seaflow pump, cold water faucet and hoses came today... hopefully plumbing installed tomorrow..
trim/rails, cabinet doors and heater are about it.
still unsure what to do with the ceiling....:/

Attachments

• 1620958198198.jpg
    1620958198198.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
  • 1620958197679.jpg
    1620958197679.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 10
Looking good! It'll feel like a home with a kitchen table to sit at. Sucks about that darn screw!

Got the diesel heater installed.... finally. I still need to adjust a couple lines and such underneath.

Just a heads up on the metal tanks.
They suck. IMO.
They can only be installed vertically. I had planned to mount it horizontally and had to do a " french cleat" and a screw to hold it in place.

Fortunately I kept things long enough so I can take it down fill it outside somewhat.

The metal tank I received had a real crappy weld job on the fuel outlet.
You can see a tiny dimple in the picture. I wrongly assumed it was superficial. As I began filling the tank I noticed fluid rolling along my floor... Sure enough the weld dimple went all the way down. Of course in my immediate "panic" I laid the tank down on its face to stop the leaking but doing that caused the fuel pour out the intake..Lol! Good grief. About a quarter gallon of diesel flowing all on the back of the van floor..:/

I'm so thankful that I used the garage style of vinyl rubberized floor. The diesel cleaned up great. No pores to soak into and no discoloration.No odor to speak of. Big fan of that black diamond flooring!
Thanks for that HDR. I owe you a 2 inch grilled ribeye!

I highly suggest that anyone test their tanks for leaks before  filling. The way things are manufactured these days you never know what's going to happen.

This could have been very costly and seriously affected my rig especially if the diesel went into carpeting or soaked into wood.
Fortunately my buddy has experienced issues like this and had a plan. Ofc a new weld could have been done but we used a compressor powered tiny grinder.. like a dentist and shaved down all the garbage weld. Sanded and removed any residue then started with a tiny application of Loctite oil and gas resistant adhesive. Starting by filling the dimple.
Started small then added 2 more layers each a bit larger It looks great and best of all the leak is gone!

Finally was able to somewhat figure out the operating instructions. Fired her up and it's amazing. The heat blasts out and is going to only take a few moments to remove any morning chill. Still have much to understand about the actual settings but now that it is installed I'm fairly happy. The pump is under the rig and it's pretty quiet.

I'm fortunate that I had no real damage from the shoddy manufacturing. Depending on how things continue, I am definitely leaning on the notion that a more expensive, higher quality German heater may be the way to go.

Attachments

• 1622594475767.jpg
    1622594475767.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 1622594587658.jpg
    1622594587658.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 11
Been a while since anything moved on the build. I was finally able to get some maple boards to make doors for the cupboard. It took basically 2 months for the only nearby store to resupply. 
I used horizontal bungies for the smaller shelf unit. the rocker panel prevented any a door over that. 

I still have to do something about the heater vent section and will do a magnetic door at the other.

I still need to figure out what to do with the ceiling and the huge shelf space over the cab.

Sure is nice to check things off the list even if it takes longer than expected. 
Chipping away.

Attachments

• 1625465873755.jpg
    1625465873755.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 1625465874682.jpg
    1625465874682.jpg
    1,020.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 1625465878186.jpg
    1625465878186.jpg
    863 KB · Views: 9
...that black diamond flooring makes good good sense to me...down side?

I really like the flooring. It is very rugged. Kind of a hard rubber?

I'm not really sure of material but it is definitely far more durable than the home type vinyl. I can't imagine how negligent I would have to be to tear  it.

I spilled already, a very large amount of diesel and it cleaned up with zero issue. No visual damage and thank goodness zero odor...

Downsides for some  could be.. the sweeping. The diamond cut prevents a smooth sweep...( the horror the horror). You have to sweep briskly..lol

It is not very spongy at all. And some may want/need more cushioning under foot. The diamonds also are noticeable when barefooted.  Personally, I enjoy the feeling.. it's like those foot stimulation pads with textures and beads.

For me this checks all the boxes. I wish I had installed it better. 
I installed it on a very hot day and didn't take into account that this material was so stretchable when very hot and now that it has cooled I have some edge shrinking .. which was going to be covered with trim anyhow.

HDR the moderator I believe has a similar product, his is much higher quality  than mine. I lucked out seeing his post about it and was able to do the paupers version.

The pros far outweigh the cons in my book.

Yes I also have it. It is very durable, totally water proof, non slip, and quite. The only downside I had was it is very hard to cut when installing. Highdesertranger