Here I am again, a year later.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moondancer, a couple of questions that will help us help you. What would you like to do? Do you want to find a way to stay in your home, or would you like to be in another home, or would you like to live on the road? Most of our suggestions so far have been how to get you mobile and out of the place you're in, I just want to see if that's the direction you want to head in.

tx2sturgis said:
You are probably limited to a very small cargo trailer, tiny actually. 
I dunno, Brian. Looks like a 6x10 single axel enclosed is about 3000lbs GVW so her Rodeo should pull it if that 4500lb number is right. Plenty of room to throw a mattress and cooler in there and hit the road. 

Geez...now my feet are getting itchy.

(I'm in the middle of building my rig and two years away from heading out, Moondancer. I envy you a bit.)

I think the bigger issue for her is being able to afford one.

Here is a wonderful video Bob did of a woman who is living in her car. Hopefully it can give you some ideas:

Yup. And Queen is right, now is a good time to look inward and make sure steps.

tx2sturgis said:
Can you afford a small window AC unit and just cool one room? Hang curtains or plastic and/or close doors to other rooms? This might ease the burden and keep you cooler for less money. Sitting all day in almost 90 degrees is probably not safe.

Or are you eligible for low-income housing maybe in a smaller town but with adequate medical care?

This all sounds pretty desperate.

If you have exhausted all of your other options, and at 72 years old, you have become a 'hostage' of sorts....and if you want the freedom of the road, you need to take action unless you want to see yourself going further downhill.

If your health is good and you can move around adequately, I would think about selling off everything you can, like furniture and other stuff to make a few more $$$.

Then let the electric bill and other utility and rent bills go unpaid for a month or 2 (or make very minimal payments), and use all of your saved money to buy canned food (or go to the local food banks)  and then buy a very small, cheap, used, enclosed trailer, (or a harbor freight trailer with a couple of totes strapped on it) pack it with what you really need, (clothes, canned food, water,  supplies, etc)...then hitch that trailer to your car (which hopefully is reliable) and head north toward cooler weather and the open road and let what happens to the mobile home, happen. 

You can rendezvous with other nomads farther northwest, and if you are frugal the first few months, 'car dwelling' on free lands, national forests, and Walmarts, in a short while your account will start to grow and you can begin to have hope for a better future.

You can always return to Florida in the cooler months for any needed medical issues or doctor appointments.

Come, dance under the moon, Moondancer!

:D

Love your idea of dancing under the moon !

K.

So, you see? There's lots of options here. Take a breath and think on it. Let us know how we can help.

Putts said:
I dunno, Brian. Looks like a 6x10 single axel enclosed is about 3000lbs GVW so her Rodeo should pull it if that 4500lb number is right.

Putts, that number is probably for when the vehicle was new, pulling a heavy trailer part time, and 'when properly equipped'...meaning transmission cooler, brake controller, and heavy duty suspension pieces.

Take those capacities as a MAX...but forget that 4500 pounds. That's more than the car weighs....and we need to consider trailer frontal area...for gas savings as well as a happy transmission!

When I said a small trailer, that's in light of the current situation as presented: limited funds, older aged driver, basic needs vs comfort, and the fact that a high revving overhead cam V6 with over 100,000 miles and limited budget for gasoline and vehicle upgrades like a brake controller and  trailer brakes.

My van with a V8 has some issues pulling a 2000 pound boxy cargo trailer, and I just can't imagine pulling a 4500 pounder all over the country with a V6 and no trailer brakes.

My one time experience in the early 90s driving my newish 1989 V6 manual transmission 4WD Toyota Pickup pulling a large trailer thru the Rocky Mountains tells me that yeah....you CAN do it...

But neither you nor the vehicle will enjoy it!

I think a very small trailer to pack belongings in, or a combination of a roof rack and a hitch rack, might be the answer.

Thanks, Brian, don't know much about these things.

Wishing you the best Moondancer!

Putts said:
K.

So, you see?  There's lots of options here.  Take a breath and think on it. Let us know how we can help.

My mobile home is falling apart around me.  My doctor retired me a couple of years before I had planned to.  Lost most of my retirement funds when the economy took a dive. Its ok, its life.  My health is much better now but my financial situation is dire.  Mobile home is falling apart.  Lot rent is almost $400. a month and then there is electric, water/sewer.  The only luxuries I have are internet and a cell phone.  I do not want to stay in the mobile home because it is falling apart and the lot rent is over 2/3 of my social security.  Utilities take the rest and I sell my things when I can to pay the rest of my expenses such as gas, toilet paper, meds, etc.  So far I have been holding on, existing.  Waiting for the snow birds to come back so I can try to sell whatever is left (furniture worn out over 40 yrs old) such as small stuff, knick knacks, etc.  and then pay someone to take whatever is left or unsellable  to the land fill.  I spoke to an attorney last summer and they said that I could probably donate the mobile to the park to get out of my lease.  They would probably repair it and turn it into a rental.  If this can be accomplished I can go.  I am working when I can on going thru everything and washing and pricing what I can to get ready for a sale this fall, and of course at least once a month at the flea market to make monthly expenses.  The pile of sellable things is getting smaller but I am having problems getting the pile I want to keep down to a manageable size.  I really want to move on and be able to live instead of exist.  But getting there seems to be a problem.  I guess that I am needing moral support and encouragement.  And suggestions.  I realize that I probably will not be able to let go of everything that I need to to just pull out in the vehicle, so then what.  I do qualify for senior housing, but do not want to buy a second hand recliner and veg out while waiting to die.  So, I quess that hitting the road is my solution.  I also realize that I cannot stay in Florida because of the heat and humidity and lack of good places to boondock.  I tried to sleep in the car 1 night and could not do it between the heat and the mosquitos, and that was under my carport.   So, I guess that leaving Florida is almost a must.  My telephone bill will go up in February on the 1st so I will have to let go of my internet then.  My decals are due for my doublewide by Dec 31 2017.  The snowbirds will be back with their wallets by November. so I guess that my time lines are drawn.  If I buy the decals ($125.00) that will take a big bite out of my yard sale money.  If I stay till June (if mobile roof and floor hold up by then) lot rent will go up another $25.00.  If I do not pay the lot rent, within 10 days they will send me a letter that in 5 days they will evict me and put a lien on my mobile and then I will be out on the street and be sued.  I do not want to be evicted or sued so I am going to try to do the right thing, but I need to go.  I had planned to get out of this situation last Fall but both my brother and sister (both are disabled) ended up in hospital with heart surgeries.  And of course I helped them recover when able to come home.  But by the time I could come home and work on my problem the snowbirds had gone home trapping me here for another year.  I am not sorry, I would do it again I believe it was the right thing to do but I can not fail this year.  I just have to find a way to do it.  And then, where can I go for the first little while until I will have more gas money ? And how can I let go of things I do not want to let go of ?  Thank you for listening to me vent.  I guess that I need those on the forum to remind me to get and stay motivated.  Since I have outlived my friends and neighbors, and co-workers and all but a couple of relatives who think that I am insane and want me to move in with them and help take care of them, I guess that the only support I have is from those on the Forum.  I have been watching tons and tons of rv, car camping, and other nomad videos for the past 2 years and trying to figure things out but getting more confused and fearful all of the time.  I know that I need a Fla street address but will not have one when I get out of here, so that is a problem.  My sister does not check her mail for weeks and then rarely opens it.  My brother throws his into a basket and when I asked him if I could use his address he said yes if I moved in to help take care of him and his wife and 2 dogs, and 3 birds.  So that is a no.  So I have to solve the address problem and moslty where to go until I have more gas money.  Other than that I need to deal with this junk and sellable stuff and get the flock out I guess, and figure the rest out later.  NO senior housing for me.  I want to be free !  Please, please....kick me in the butt and keep kicking me until I get out.  Thanks loads to all.  Sorry I was so long winded.  And most of all thank all of you for being here and listening.  Love to all.

moondancer5 said:
I guess that I am needing moral support and encouragement.  And suggestions.

Yer in the right place for that, and good on ya for doing the right thing as best you can.

do not want to buy a second hand recliner and veg out while waiting to die.

thumb.gif

My telephone bill will go up in February on the 1st so I will have to let go of my internet then.

I'd do a little research there on the right plans, but having a good communication link is important to most folks. You'll be saving so much on rent and utilities that you may be able to keep internet and phone.

I just have to find a way to do it.

Sounds like you've thought it through pretty well, just keep putting one foot in front of the other.

And then, where can I go for the first little while until I will have more gas money ?

Again, if you work it right, without rent and utilities, it'll catch up pretty quick...and your gas milage is probably pretty good. 

And how can I let go of things I do not want to let go of ?

ne_nau.gif

You gotta be brutal with yourself and honest about what you really need, or the few things that will give you great pleasure, on the road.

I have been watching tons and tons of rv, car camping, and other nomad videos for the past 2 years and trying to figure things out but getting more confused and fearful all of the time.  I know that I need a Fla street address ....

Boy, there is a lot of information to digest to do this thing. We so take for granted the infrastructure around us when we're in sticks and bricks. In a vehicle you've got to be your own utility companies. Keep watching videos and reading the things that apply, it'll start clearing up as you keep learning. 

On official domicile stuff, search around, lots of info here, Bob has a video, and ask specific questions when you get to a road block...someone around here knows, or can get you closer to, the answers.

Love to all.

Back atcha!  
wave.gif

moondancer5 said:
 And how can I let go of things I do not want to let go of ?

Envisioning something differently than what is currently. The "stuff" is holding you down.

You can't look at both sides of one coin, completely. Comes down to choice and goals.

Food for thought -- What IF your path was out of Florida; something else ahead of you?

Ok I have been where you are.... except mine was a decent house in a getting progressively worse neighborhood. But it was the best security I had, even though it was a money pit I did not need. Stepping out in the unknown is scary. Especially the older you get. That being said IT CAN BE DONE, and you can probably do it. As everyone has said, you have to decide what your ultimate goal is first and work toward it.

Part of it is a state of mind. Do you NEED a 17 gallon shower everyday or can you live with a gallon "bird bath". Can you live eating simple meals most of the time. Can you learn to potty in alternative ways. If you can manage these things YOU CAN DO IT. Even if your ultimate goal is stationary there are cheaper ways to live. You just need the alternative for a chance to save some money toward a better life.

If you are not paying somewhere between 3-400 per month lot rent, that is between $3,600 and $4,800 that could be saved in a year. If your lot rent is more then it is more you can save. Your utility bills could become your gas fund. You already buy groceries but simple eating could possibly reduce that.

Then if you want to ultimately be stationary then look for a small piece of rural land in a state or county without a lot of code restrictions and get an RV. This is what I did.

I live in rural Texas (which some don't like) but there is no restriction of me living in my RV year-round. I bought 1.5 acres for 9k that had septic already on it. More land than I needed but that was the deal. Installed electric. There is water available at the road but I don't want it, I get by very comfortably without that bill even though it would only be about $25 a month. In the extreme heat of summer my electric runs about 90 dollars for a couple of months otherwise it's about 40-60 even in the winter. It cost me 200 a year for property tax because here you pay no taxes on the RV. I also have very small SS check, Living the way I live I can save a little each month and still have a bit left over at the end of the month. I am very comfortable and have most all of my needs met. I will admit I tend to live simply.

I will say I have lived in Florida and it is expensive (much more that where I am now)... Getting out of Florida is a good place to be. There are many other places that are much cheaper to live in.

So you do have choices. You just have to decide what your goals are

Florida actually has a fair amount of free boondocking places - go to Freecampsites.net and take a look around. Most of it is in water management districts land and National Forest land. Once you find the websites for water mgmt districts take a separate look at them in case there's more that aren't listed on Freecampsites website. Water Mgmt land requires permits but they're free.

Even a month or two of free camping would free up a whole lot of money that is much needed. Then you could make plans to travel further afield.

As to an address, take a look at St. Brendans' Isle - https://www.sbimailservice.com/

I believe you can have them as your official address for title of vehicle etc but you may run in to a tiny snag. IIRC Florida allows them to be the official address for boat owners and those in RVs by using the vehicle registration as an official address. The snag you might run in to is that your vehicle is not an RV so you'd still might need an official address. If that's the case then what I'd suggest is leaving your official address where it is now and having all your mail sent to St. Brendans' (official address and mailing address are 2 separate things). This will work for at least a few months while you get yourself truly on the road. At that point in time you might want to look at some place like South Dakota that has much easier rules for addresses and titles to deal with. Escapees in Texas is another place but Texas requires annual inspection so you would need to go there at least once a year.

IIWM, I'd work out a temporary plan for mail and campsites to get you out of the living conditions you're in. A couple months worth of breathing room will make all the difference in the world to you, both financially and mentally!

If you've got stuff that you think you absolutely can't part with and don't need on the road, it's time to either rethink why you're hanging on to them or rent a small storage space to house them. I don't say this harshly, I kept my grandmothers china and my antique crystal as well as my sewing machines so I do understand not wanting to part with some things. The china is now in the hands of my son and I found a really inexpensive place to store the other things. Some day, when I'm much older than I am now, I realize that my wandering days will have to be curtailed somewhat. At that time I will be able to have back the things I kept - or they'll have to be dealt with by my kids if I die before I get really old!! PS, I'm only 4 years younger than you.... :D

I am 76 and I was in the same situation...space rent went up each year ($400-half my income) and my small SS stayed the same or increased by only a couple $$ a month. I was lucky that I had a 16' travel trailer.  I sold what I could (misc.items), gave away, donated, and dumped everything but essentials.  A year ago I signed the title for my old, needing repairs, mobilehome and dropped it and the keys off at the office and never looked back. (If you do that be sure to let DVM know that you sold/gave it away just like you would if you sell a car). I have never felt so free of stress. I spent last winter in AZ for the first time and was able to save a little money instead of wondering how to pay for something. 
There is a Federal program for low income people that gives you a free phone and free service called Lifeline. Google it for your area.
I am trying to save enough for a Honda 200 generator to let me spend longer in AZ but that is about all I need.
GOOD LUCK :heart:

See that moondancer5.  You should listen to your elders.  :p

Nice to see some folks in very similar situations sharing their experiences.

tx2sturgis said:
You don't HAVE to have solar and electric fridge and such, when just starting out you can get by on some canned food or soup heated over a $20 propane burner. A cheap ice chest will keep a small amount of fresh food for a few days.

A very small tarp or even a large towel tucked in/under the windows when closed can give you some shade during the bright sunny days...

Amen to this! I understand why people with Class Bs (and converting the van yourself doesn't make it not a class B) want these things. After all, they have made their own tiny-home.

But for those of us who use our sleeping spaces as just that: sleeping spaces, a fridge and solar don't justify their cost, weight, or space. You can just as easily use an electric hotplate at a rest area or park with 110V plugs as you can in a vehicle with a weighty and expensive solar setup, but the added benefit of using the park is the lack of cooking smell in your vehicle. And for those days or meals where you cannot find a park? Eating a salad or sandwich won't kill you.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

theinfamousj said:
Amen to this!

{snip}

And for those days or meals where you cannot find a park? Eating a salad or sandwich won't kill you.

Amen to this Amen! Just FYI on canned meats...tunafish from a can and maybe some mayo from a little condiment pouch mixed in, some garlic salt, maybe a little pickle relish...you know, simple stuff, can make a satisfying snack for a buck. No cooking needed!

You can add some bread of course, or potato chips, or even some fresh fruit or canned peaches or pears on the side for some fiber intake.

Of course this wont work every day, but its not bad...and super easy.

Talking about tunafish...Skipjack line-caught tuna from a can is like eating a little bit of tuna 'steak' compared to the mushy variety we all are used to having. It's really good, and healthier, but kinda 'spendy'....about $4 a can!

Damn....I'm hungry...I'll be back shortly! :p

tx2sturgis said:
Putts, that number is probably for when the vehicle was new, pulling a heavy trailer part time, and 'when properly equipped'...meaning transmission cooler, brake controller, and heavy duty suspension pieces.

Take those capacities as a MAX...but forget that 4500 pounds. That's more than the car weighs....and we need to consider trailer frontal area...for gas savings as well as a happy transmission!

When I said a small trailer, that's in light of the current situation as presented: limited funds, older aged driver, basic needs vs comfort, and the fact that a high revving overhead cam V6 with over 100,000 miles and limited budget for gasoline and vehicle upgrades like a brake controller and  trailer brakes.

My van with a V8 has some issues pulling a 2000 pound boxy cargo trailer, and I just can't imagine pulling a 4500 pounder all over the country with a V6 and no trailer brakes.

My one time experience in the early 90s driving my newish 1989 V6 manual transmission 4WD Toyota Pickup pulling a large trailer thru the Rocky Mountains tells me that yeah....you CAN do it...

But neither you nor the vehicle will enjoy it!

I think a very small trailer to pack belongings in, or a combination of a roof rack and a hitch rack, might be the answer.

How small and costly is a very small trailer ?  When you say combination roof rack and hitch rack are you saying that my Rodeo could safely handle the weight of both ?  Roof rack just goes on top, like a luggage carrier, right ?  And a hitch rack means I would have to install a trailer hitch and a receiver and some kind of a rack to carry things right?