Help. Worried OTR

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many years ago I ran single weight oils that unlike multiweight oils today had to be changed depending on outside temperatures the motor was operated in. In eastern Kentucky in winter I would run a 20 weight oil and in summer a heavier 30 weight oil. The first summer I headed west to the desert I was shocked to see my oil light flicker at idle and went to 40 weight oil. It is amazing with the technology we have to still have manufacturers being allowed to sell low quality products that can harm motors.

Glad it was really a non issue. Safely back in the heat of Texas (I think that is supposed to be in the heart of texas).

My lawn mowers and my generator call for 30 weight oil. They still sell it because it is needed.

you know guys, it may not have been an intentional ripoff with sub par oil.

mistakes happen. and with so many new low viscosity oils out it may have been a simple accident where the tech put some 0-20 in and it was just too thin.

not everyone is out to get you

Put a mechanical gauge on the truck, I never depend on those electronic pieces of crap. Change your own oil, it's an easy thing to do. I had a friend who took his vehicle to the same place every time. One time they didn't put enough oil in and his wife burned up the engine.

Basically, the oil has ratings, a bunch of letters from various certifying authorities. The subject oil containers were not fraudulently marked, that would be a criminal charge, not a lawsuit over fine print. I suspect consumers were not cognizant of the required set of letters for their specific equipment. "Oil is oil, get the cheapest stuff."

My 2015 Suzuki DS-200R (199cc air cooled) requires engine oil with "API SG or higher". Not recommended are "API from SH to SM or "API SN or higher". [What's higher than "SG", "SH and up past SN" right?]

In Minnesota, with the multi-viscosity oils, we used 5-20W in the winter. That was when the planet was cooling, and we were headed towards an ice age that would kill us all.

PS Glad you made it home, even if it is boring.

Happy the OP fixed their problem. Just for future people I am a mechanic and the first thing I check with oil pressure problems is the sending unit/sensor. If going bad the pressure will sometimes have this symptom. Usually they will be leaking oil out of the sending unit.