New Hello.....Going Homeless in Las Vegas and Need HELP

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jonyjoe303 said:
pull out all the carpet and get rid of it. And for the meantime you can just put some rtech foam insulation on the floor. I avoid carpeting because once you insulate your van, if you drop water on the carpet it will remain there for days, van won't get hot enough to evaporate it. When I first got a swampcooler I was always dropping water on the floor and it was uncomfortable walking around on a wet floor. Best thing I ever did was get rid of the carpet, never regretted it.

You already on your way, you got a van (many people don't even have that), so you doing good. Vegas gets hot, so you need alot of insulation, rtech works good, its all I use, I got it on the roof/sides/windows/floor. Without the insulation nothing else matters, that should be your priority. Cover all the rear windows (its where all the heat comes in), it will help with heat and also improve your stealth. A swampcooler would work well in the vegas weather, better then just a fan. You be surprise how good a swampcooler will feel in a well insulated van.

picture of rtech foam from home depot (cost 9 dollars per 4x8 sheet) you can install this with a hotglue gun, just cut in small pieces and glue it the walls etc. hotglue drys quickly, you be done in a day. You can glue more layers to take care of hotspots. I got 3 layers of rtech on my roof, that finally reduce the heat from that area.

Nobody gets everything on there van done right away, you get the important thing taken care right away and slowly add things as you start living in it. 5 years later I'm still adding improvements here and there.

Hope I didn't goof by putting the silver side up ......It is cut now and thinking....I don't know what I am doing. I am not gonna glue to down till I get everything moved Don't want to tear it all up. Looks just like Styrofoam.

Attachments

• thumbnail (35).jpg
    thumbnail (35).jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 7
Thankfully my mother and I reconciled. I can now slowly work on the van and retire in a few years. I hope to get it ready for some long camping trips to test my progress.

Thanks for the update! Hope the work on your van goes well. If you have any problems just ask questions and someone will probably have a good answer. :)

leslymill said:
I can now slowly work on the van and retire in a few years. I hope to get it ready for some long camping trips to test my progress.

If you need help with something on your build I am about an hour away in Pahrump. Sometimes having a second pair of hands is "handy". PM me if you need help as I will not be checking this forum often, (with a PM I will get an email notice).