Help. Worried OTR

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherterr

Reaction score
Should I be worried.?

Background:
1999 Chevy 1500 Express conv. Van
. Low low mileage..all systems repaired etc over the last year before I left.

My oil gauge started moving today between 20 and 60 whereas it normally just sits on 40. It was according to accelleration, elevation, etc.
I stopped and had the oil checked by mechanics and the gentleman said probably nothing to worry about.
He had me start the engine revved it a little bit and he watched the gauge and he said all seems perfectly normal.
I guess it was stuck and suddenly decided to unstick? As long as it does not overheat am I okay?
This is ruining my trip and stressing me out. I actually ran to the KOA For a spot for tonight.  I am 15 hours from home.

Think I'll make it? I have Roadside assist. ..but phone is sometimes sketchy.  

I'm being a big baby, right?? :):)

The few times I had a pressure gauge wander like that it was a loose connection on the sending unit but these were on older vehicles (60's-80's). HDR might have a better suggestion as he is a lot more up to date than I am.

right on Brian.

cherterr your oil pressure gauge is an electronic gauge and works off of resistance to ground. like Brian said it could be a poor connection. the sending unit sits to the right of the distributer when looking from the front of the engine to the back. any mechanic worth their salt can check the system real easy with a ohm meter and a resistor box. the doghouse must be removed and then it's just simple checking nothing real technical at all.

I am not sure if the OBD port on that vehicle shows oil pressure it should, that would give you a quick check to see if the computer jives with the gauge. I believe on that vehicle that it is the same sending unit as the gauge but might be a separate circuit.

finally when was the last oil change? and what oil was used? a lot of your newer oils are very light weight and should not be used in older engines.

highdesertranger

I started getting disconcerting oil pressure readings on my '07 Express when I switched to synthetic oil. I went back to conventional oil and the problem stopped.

highdesertrang said:
finally when was the last oil change?  and what oil was used?  a lot of your newer oils are very light weight and should not be used in older engines.

highdesertranger

It was 2k miles ago.  Same used as last year or so I've had it.

Two quick things to check are the coolant level and the oil level just to rule out overheating from cavitation and oil slosh if it is low.

Actual oil pressure is supposed to vary between 20-50psi. Oil pumps are driven off the engine. Thats what my old school oil tube gauge shows.

ok 2 years ago but what type? brand? weight? if someone did the work it should be on the receipt.

conventional or synthetic?
10-40, 20-50, 5-20 etc.?
highdesertranger

Elbear1 said:
Actual oil pressure is supposed to vary between 20-50psi. Oil pumps are driven off the engine. Thats what my old school oil tube gauge shows.
This is true, lower pressure at idle and higher pressure when cruising but it shouldn't fluctuate when cruising or idling.

I do know them 5.3's like to get stuck lifters (hydraulic) and have oil pressure issues. They have squirter tubes. Usually higher in mileage but if it gets sluggy.

You did not say that you checked the oil LEVEL. Did the mechanic check the level? I assume he did but did you SEE him do that? Have you seen oil residue where you have been parked?

If the oil level is REALLY low, the pump will begin to suck air and you will get odd readings, but at that point, damage is being done, so the correct oil level HAS to be verified. 

As soon as you can, if it has not been checked, verify you have oil between the 'add' and 'full' marks on the dipstick.

Okay let's see if I can remember everybody's questions:

HDR: 2000 Miles ago!! Lol. Not 2 years. I get regular oik changes with van manual reccomended oil. 5W30.

YES. I hovered on mechanic. Pulled out stick, wiped off, reinserted, and upon check was very nice color, full, and good.

Nothing underneath vehicle. Coolant overflow has an inch or so. Radiator full.

Needle is NOT jumping wildly. Staying between 20 and 60, reactive to hills, deceleration and idle accordingly.

So....
I called the mechanic this morning and he assured me I would most likely be fine to drive 15 hours and make it home without incident. (Obviously if things change..I will stop)

I read HDR text (carefully and left out anything he might deem 'threatening'. Lol) . He said I would have to leave it for the day. Ugh. Not happening. ( I would then become the crazy lady with the dogs, homeless and wandering around Durango)..:) sooo..

I'm gonna go. Just can't decide which way. I really planned on staying out til south Tejas cooled off and keep van dwelling. Lol. Damn it. Such a test.

THANKS SO MUCH...ALL OF YOU!!!

I'll keep you posted.
I figure if the worst happens I'll rent a U-Haul with a car hauler trailer. :)

Elbear1 said:
I do know them 5.3's ...

The OP's 1999 Express wouldn't have a 5.3. Those didn't come out until the 2003 models.

I guess I am now confused. Your original statement said it was always 40 pounds. I took this to mean at ide and at cruising speeds. If it is 20 at idle and 40-45 at cruising speeds, you are good to go. 60 sounds a little high but could be when the engine is cold?

After talking to a good friens, he suggested an oil change. Last time I used a new place and apparently they used the cheap stuff.

We put in the primo oil..and I've been driving all day. 400 + miles and not dropping below 40 anymore! Yay.

Glad you got it fixed. A national chain or mom and pop place put in the cheap stuff. Help us out so we don't go there.

Now I'm confused. 

Why would they put in the cheap stuff unless you ASKED for the cheap stuff? Or maybe you went to JoeSchmoe's back alley discount oil change and upholstery shop....I mean, unless they poured in that substandard oil that was sold at some dollar stores, almost any modern oil of the proper viscosity and that meets the modern specs, should be fine...

Most quickie-lube places (of whatever name or parent company) will happily pour in the good stuff (like Pennzoil, Castrol, Quaker State, Mobil1, etc) when you ask them to.

Fyi...the $12/gallon walmart supertech scores high.

As I believe I said, the last time I had my oil changed it was a different place than where I usually go.
They did ask me what I wanted and I said okay fine to whatever they were waving in the air.
Bet I don't make that mistake again!. In Durango I got the high quality oil and everything's been fine 800 miles later.
I am home 3 days now and bored sh*tless. As well as Hot and humid :(